“Very average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Pontina, Km 30, 00040 Pomezia, Italy   |
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Pomezia
“Very average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is modern looking and clean. Food is of average quality and staff not especially friendly. Wifi in lobby and ethernet in rooms - connection quite slow however. Ok for business travel but definitely not for leisure.

Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Have stayed here now a few times on business due to nearby location of client's office but if I had a choice I wouldn't. It's OK..nice and spacious in the lobby area - though this is where the hotel bar is and it feels more like an aiport waiting area - and there is a large pool out the back amongst a slightly run down sports training ground; and it is really starting to feel a bit "has been" or even "don't won't to be". This combined with haphazard service and quite awful food means it's a no no for anyone here for leisure.

The rooms are clean yes and contemporary; but invariably either the windows don't open (or close - as I once had) or the heating won't work (also I have experienced). Also, the soundproofing is not great. I stayed in room 136 - great room for peace and quiet but a little chilly since it is separated from all other rooms at the end of the corridor..and therefore in early March was cold..(because the heating didn't work). Probably just fine for April and May - and the window opens in this one too !!

As for the food - not great. I opted one night for the set menu - which seemed to be a complete disappointment to my waiter and having played around with a sloppy cheesy crepe starter, decided to go for the A la carte the next day. Go for grilled meat if you really want to eat here.

The staff aren't rude at all - they just are not very engaged with the whole idea of "service" which kind of reflects itself in the hotel.

Not great placed for toursits looking to travel to Rome either. No train nearby and 45 min taxi ride away. And Pomezia itself..er it's OK..few nice shops and 1 or 2 restaurants

Redeeming feature - The conferencing facilities are pretty good

Room Tip: Choose room 136. Watch out they put the even room numbers on one side and the odd numbers on the oth...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Selene last month on a business trip for a few nights. I stayed here based on advice from colleagues. The hotel was nice and the room was clean and tidy. The staff were ok, but could have seemed a bit more interested sometimes. When I arrived I asked if there was wi-fi in the room and the man on reception told me that it wasn't working in the room but it did in the lounge. This was a bit annoying, as it meant I had to speak to my children on web cam in the bar/lounge. It also meant that as there was limited tv channels there wasn't much to do in the evening. When asking the lady at the reception a question she wasn't very engaging and rarely held eye contact or smiled. Maybe it is a cultural thing that is different to the UK. The food in the restaurant was quite nice, especially the pasta, this was excellent. I didn't really venture outside in the evenings, so I can't really comment about the local area, but I understand there isn't a great deal to do. All in all I would have no problem staying here again when there on business, but if you are on holiday to Rome you would want to stay nearer to the main centre of Rome.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I can only underline everything that's already been said: basically a nice hotel, NOT well placed for Rome, breakfast Italian standard (ie basic), staff with poor English, and the same hot water issues (my colleague had no hot water). The window in my room wouldn't close, they changed my room no problem. However, these are all things that shouldn't happen in a hotel like this - no wonder it is no longer part of Best Western.
Best to avoid completely.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver Island, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

My father, sister and I stayed here for two weeks. The hotel is stunning inside. Our room was very clean and very large, we stayed in a triple room. It has a sofa couch, king bed, jetted tub and so much space. The staff is not the best. We were left stranded at the airport even after writing to the Best Western International to have them responded to our several emails. When we arrived to hotel staff argued that it was our fault not theirs. We ended up paying 65 Euros from airport to hotel. We traveled to Rome each day although a bit far we took the bus and found our way with ease.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Solingen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

The hotel itself is quite nice - the rooms are modern and stylish and look as if they have been recently refurbished. The hotel staff was not overly friendly or helpful and definitely not what I would expect in a four star hotel. The biggest problem is the location. Hotel Selene is nine km from the nearest train station (a fact the hotel "forgets" to mention on their website) and there is no public transport to the station on Sundays, except for a 25 EUR/trip taxi. If you are planning on seeing Rome, this is definitely not the place to stay. If you just want a hotel with a nice pool (and are prepared to wear a swimming cap!) or you need a place for a conference with few distractions, this may be the right place...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Essex UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I stayed at the Best Western Selene in Pomezia between the 09-04-10 and 12-04-10. The hotel itself is located in an isolated part of Pomezia. There is quite a few shops in Pomezia and eating out is relatively cheap.

My stay at the hotel Selene is one I would rather forget. The staff were very rude and the customer service was diabolical. The rooms were cleaned to a acceptable standard but ours was tiny and poky. We had serval problems whilst staying at this hotel and the staff did nothing to resolved the issues.

My first complaint is the electric plugs did not work with our adaptors. The hotel are supposed to provide adaptors so you can charge your gadgets but every time I went to reception they said they didn't have one. This went on for four days, i also notice that when I went to the reception even if I was next in the queue the staff would serve every customer and leave me until last, this happened on two occasions. I felt as if they had a problem with me and I don't know why.

I went to the reception and requested to change 5 euros into coins and the receptionist told me "We have no change" My wife went to the reception within a minute and all of a sudden they have change for 5 euros. From day one the room was never stocked with mineral water, tea or any coffee making facilities. I requested a kettle from reception and after waiting almost a day, the kettle arrived with no tea, milk, sugar or coffee.

The list of facilities supposedly available to guest, as outlined in the hotel manual, were never met. I went to reception to asked for some information on Rome and the male receptionist told me that it would take me four hours to get into Rome on public transport. This was a lie, getting to Rome is very simple, get a Bus from the Centre of Pomezia to Laurentina and get the B line Metro into Rome, the journey time is approximately 70 minutes and cost about 6 euros return.

on the plus side the kitchen staff and very polite and very helpful. The downside of that is there is hardly anything there for breakfast.

I searched hard within myself to find an explanation for such a diabolical, shambolic, second rated customer service at a supposedly 4**** hotel. The truth is I can't find one. On my first day at the hotel the receptionist asked me, why do you come here? Its a strange question to asked a hotel guest who is asking for direction.

The faces t the reception desk are not very friendly and not at all helpful. The service dramatically changed when i requested to speak to the manager and make a complaint. The receptionist asked me whats the complaint about and I told her why i wanted to complaint. She realized I wasn't happy with her and so, changed her attitude towards me, by then it was way too late, i've had enough. I would not rule out the possibility of racism at this hotel.

The service at the hotel may have been poor the City of Rome is second best only to LONDON!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Selene? Share your experiences!