“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars

Via Beria, 32, Moncalieri, Italy
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
La Taverna di Fra Fiusch is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 122 Restaurants in Moncalieri
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Fra Fiusch is rated #1 out of 15 restaurants in Moncalieri, according to Tripadvisor, and while it shares the same zip code as us, it is still a 25 minute drive.

The setting is quite nice, but it was crowded and we got the table by the door. It seems this place is very popular with big Italian families for Sunday lunches.

The food was pretty good and nicely presented. The best deal seems to be the 35€ menu, which is not a set menu, you can rather choose one of each a la carte courses and then desert. It is easy to calculate later how much you have saved, in our case per person ca. 13€.

The question is just if you really want to eat that much … I was full after the pasta dish. They also had a nice seasonal funghi porcini menu for 40€.

Here is what we had: rabbit terrine as a little pre-appetizer, then I had a very nice presentation of liver pate with fig mouse and a mini creme brulee based on fois gras while wife had pieces of rabbit on mixed greens. Then we both had the funghi porcini pasta, while kiddo munched on his meat filled pasta pouches. As main dish wife enjoyed a fairly generous platter of fried funghi porcini (we later saw a family sharing the same platter among 4 people, like an in between snack) and I had goat from the oven with roasted potatoes (not that great). I was very full at that time and the pieces were so boney, it was hard to get to the meat.

Dessert was very nice, a ‘Monte Bianco‘ for wife and zabaglione for me, nicely decorated with the name of the place. One of the better ones I had here so far.

I think it took me so long to write about this lunch, because I am still feeling a bit underwhelmed about the experience. There were many small things that were not so great.

- Ok, the seating might have been a result of me doing the booking only one day before. There is a nice upstairs area with a beautiful view.

- The service was so-so, some people very nice, but especially the lady who took our order made me feel as if we were stupid tourists who had stepped into their living room. Not very friendly, maybe they were stressed out.

- Usually I complain when service is slow, but in this case I had wished there would have been a bigger break between pasta and main course, it came very fast, as if they wanted to get us out ASAP.

- The biggest gripe maybe was that they charged a full 10€ for kiddo’s simple pasta bianca. The portion did not look like a full portion, but I spotted that too late on the check and did not feel like arguing with Ms. Friendly.

Overall, I think that there are better deals a bit further off… but of course, they are so close to Turin and many of the rich and famous live in the hills around the restaurant … they can be a bit snobbish.

I am curious about their specialty ‘Bagna Caöda‘ .. of course I know what it is, but as they say it is their specialty, I am curious about the presentation … 20€ (I wonder, per person?) and needs to be pre-ordered. Same with their 50€ surprise menu, which is allegedly 10 dishes long and they think it takes only 2 hours …

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Frankfurt, Germany
“authentic piemontese cuisine in a romantic village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

Fra Fiusch is hidden in the quiet village of Revigliasco, which is part of Moncalieri and only 20 minutes from Torino city centre. We are frequent guests at this Slow food restaurant since many years and appreciate the atmosphere which is cosy, yet refined.
You should go for the set menu (ca 30 Euro) to get a taste of the real piedmontese cuisine.
The wine selection is extensive and reasonably priced.Staff is friendly and very competent.
Reservation highly recommended. There is a big parking in walking distance.