“so la la” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
canterbury
“so la la”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

the place is decorated in plums and rust colours with teddy bears everywhere, on the window sill, up the stairs and on our table, it gives it a cutesy appearance.
we ordered from their lunch menu. 2 courses for 19 euros.
amuse bouche, lentils with a hint of cheese. staff are very helpful and attentive, the place was emptyish.
main, course fish stew, was served on outsized plates with an ever such miniscule bowl like indentation in the centre. the whole thing not bigger than 4 inches in diameter, steam fished and mussels sitting on microscopically cut vegetables and potatoes maybe 5 or 6 carefully cut boiled potatoes the size of a third of my index finger.
on the other hand the chicken dish was nicely flavoured but, but equally as ungenerous.if you add cream and butter to any dish it will taste delicious. chocolate mousse with orange for afters, very light, very creamy, very light on the chocolate, couldn't taste the orange.
the le cafe des artes misses out on quite a few important aspects, the food is ok. if you serve the tiniest of portions you need to justfiy it with taste and flavour, this does no such thing. we came away hungry and slightly disappointed, however we cannot fault the service or attention reveived.
can i remind you that you can vote, if you thought that this was helpful. i take a lot of care in writing and always aim for a balanced perspective.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

UK
“Lunch in style in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I booked a table here for 13 guests for Sunday lunch, the set 2 and 3 course lunch menu €19 / €25 had a great selection of choice and the food was sublime! Attention to detail, and a taste-sensation on so many levels made this lunch stop one of the highlights of our trip. Cafe des Arts is well worth a visit and certainly one of the finer establishments in this little seaside resort! Catering for such a large group was effortless and I wouldn't hesitate going back. I hope you enjoy as much as we did!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Telford, United Kingdom
“Delicious and great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

This place is superb. It was a rainy Friday evening in late September when we went. The greeting was warm and friendly and the pace of service perfectly timed. The food is fantastic... the trio of Fois Gras starter is 'historic' as Michael Winner says. For mains we had fish..again perfectly cooked and fantastic sauces. The local cheeses are delicious, but so too was the Tarte Tatin... just a great experience all round. Attentive and good quality service, good wines and food and good value for money. Highly Recommended.

Mechelen, Belgium
“Very pleased with food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We visited this restaurant wirh a group of golfers from Keerbergen in Belgium and we enjoyed a very good dinner: high quality food and friendely, efficient service. For sure an address to recommend and to remember.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Beckenham, Kent
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

We tried this restaurant due to it being the number 3 on trip ad is or for le Touquet. We say outside as it was warm, the male waiter was very moody and when I asked for butter with my bread it didn't come despite me waiting to eat it for 10 mins! My gravlax was so salty I could barely eat it and I love salty good, but it was covered in rock salt. My husbands haddock was also over seasoned but not so badly. My main was a joke, small spoonful of pasta pesto with and over cooked salmon fillet on the side! I wouldn't even serve that at a dinner party! Very poor! My husband had risotto with mussels and prawns, his prawns were cold and the portion was minoscule! Dessert was nice - apple tart, but cannotgonwrong there. House white was £26 which I thought was steep, all in all I was very upset to pay £80 for this meal. Honestly don't bother trying it for yourself

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere