“so gorgeous and relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Ballebro Faergekro
Fargevejvej 5, Soenderborg 6400, Denmark   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Soenderborg
Skanderborg, Denmark
“so gorgeous and relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I had the fortunate experience to stay the night at Ballebro Færgekro Thursday 26th of June.
I went alone and stayed in room 1.
From the moment I arrived, I could feel how stress and worries simply evaporated. The location and quiet are perfect. I spent part of the evening in their chairs by the water and enjoyed the view (I gotta get me one of them chairs!).
My room was clean, simple and elegant. I had worried a bit about noise, since my room was located right next to the main entrance and next to the stairwell, but I slept really well.
In the morning you are greeted by the owner in the restaurant, where you sit and enjoy the view and a superb breakfast with everything your heart could desire.
I did not have any other meals in the restaurant.
I highly recommend this place to anyone. I will go back myself at some point.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
København
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The good part first: The location and the room are simply perfect. The old inn from 1729 looks beautiful and you can rest in comfortable chairs on the perfect lawn or jump into the water from the jetty, where the seabed is sandy. Loved it.

But unfortunately, the kitchen was a sad experience. Some of the other reviews gave us the impression that this was gourmet food, but don't come here, if you expect a gourmet meal.

My flounder was almost cooked to porridge and without taste, the "steamed" vegetables were boiled and the potatoes weren't boiled enough. My girlfriend did get a decent peace of meat (with some weird wannabe "gourmet garnish") and a really good glass of sparkling wine. The latte was from a machine.

So, if your idea of a meal is something on a plate in nice surroundings and a glass of wine, this will be OK.

Come for the REALLY sweet hotel and the friendly staff, but NOT for the kitchen.

Room Tip: Room 24 is small, but really sweet with a beautiful view of the garden and waterfront.
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toftlund, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Only stopped by for a cup of coffee and cake. A beautiful location with a view that will calm you. The slice of cake was good and the coffee was just the right temperature. The dinning room is old fashioned and has its charm.. Especially the ceiling lamps!
Danish, English and German languages are understood here. They also take €'s and can give you change back in €'s too.
The area around the kro is a fantastic lush area and worth a visit. My in-laws will definitely be coming back to spend a few days in this beautiful, quiet and scenic location.
In case you want to try a real dansk hotdog, then there is a hotdog stand right outside the main Kro estate for the hungry tourists.
The only minus in my book were the hand towels after washing ones hands.. They smelled alright when picked up, but after drying they left a stale smell on the hands

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Loved our stay here. Only wish that it was for more than one night. The location, restaurant and our room were idyllic. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make our stay special. Would definitely recommend this place which is the best that we have found so far in Denmark.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ballerup
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

One of the hotels that I will never forget. That is "Ballebro Færge Kro" This place is super COOL! Like it a lot about the way of the building is. The building is NICE and CHARMING style. Inside the room is so fancy and perfectly clean. I stayed over night there, my second time last week.........It was super COOL................!

Food is excellent plus 5 star service minded.

I love "Ballebro Færge Kro".....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We have stayed at this Færgekro twice (the a and e are together), once in March and again in August. Both times we have had the biggest room in the house, which looks down to the sound (Als sund). It has enough room for you to eat some brought-in food if you wish. We were provided with a small fridge to keep milk cool which was very useful. The actual kro (inn is the best translation rather than hotel) is in an old separate building from the rooms, but umbrellas are thoughfully provided if you don't wish to wet your hair in the time it takes to to walk the 15 metres between both buildings. Be aware that the curtains are thin and white, so bring blinkers if you are one of those people who need a darkened room to sleep. There are no tea and coffee-making facilities - this is Denmark and it is not usual to have it. We bought our own and were provided with milk. The ferry (færge is ferry in Danish) comes back and forth all day but does not detract from the surroundings. There is a bathing area right by the hotel, a magnet for folks in the summer, I did try it once, but could not recommend it, personally. I subsequently found out the all the sewage from the hotel is piped further out into the bay...The view across the sund is good, the air is clean, and there are plenty of things to do in the locality. Tina and Philip run it and work very hard to make sure you are comfortable. German and English is spoken, they receive many German tourists. They also host parties such as weddings and anniversaries at the weekends, which can result in a few late night revellers being in the grounds, or vehicles pulling away. However, there are rooms at the back for those people who do not wish to be disturbed. The food is very good, although occasionally too rich for me; my husband had the foie gras one evening and enjoyed it very much. In March we were impressed to be asked, "What would you like to eat?" when we sat down to dinner one evening - "Fish" we answered, and took their suggestion for starter and main course - it was delicious. Breakfasts have plenty of choice, but are only availabe from 8 - 9am.
Sønderborg is an interesting place; and southern Jutland was the battleground for the last war to be fought on Danish soil - the Prussians won and annexed this part of Denmark, which was not returned until 1920. There are many reminders/information boards/walks you can take in connection with this. Broager church is an absolute must, with wall paintings from the 1200s and 1500s. This kro is not cheap, but for what you eat and the personal attention you receive, worth the money. It is one of the entries in a Norwegian book called '50 best eating places in Scandanavia', so the author obviously shares my view.
We received a discount for staying 3 nights or longer both times, so worth asking.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
munchen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

We wanted to stay in Sönderborg and booked this hotel. When we got there we found it was about 20 km from the town but in a beautiful location with garden running down to the beach. Even though the ferry comes in every 30 minutes the water was perfectly clean and great to swim in.
As to the hotel it is in a beautiful old historical house dating from 1729. The rooms & the restaurant are in 2 separate houses. The menu is very short but what is served is excellent and you can see the owners & the cook take great pride in presenting what they offer

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ballebro Faergekro? Share your experiences!