“Good danish food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good danish food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

We visited this Kro on a Sunday, a lovely half-timbered thatched building on the south-western end of Hadsten; having Randers in the address is rather misleading. In winter it has restricted opening hours and you need to ring to book a table. It was not busy and at 3pm, we were the last to leave.
We were not sure what to expect and, although the lunch choice was not large, the food was beautifully prepared and tasted delicious. I would highly recommend the frokosttallerken (luncheon plate). It was advertised with '4 delicious things' - of course you have the chef's choice, but what I received I could not fault. The rødtunge (lemon sole) was beautifully cooked, the piece of filet steak with mushrooms was perfectly done: tender with a lovely red colour in the middle, and the marinated prawns.. yum. I was full after those, but did allow myself to taste the cheeses and olives. Danish cheeses are often far too powerful, softish and not to my taste; but these were hard and tasted good. Home- baked bread came with my order, but I could not do justice to it.
My husband had a very large Weinerschnitzel, and the saute potatoes that came were so delicious I dibbed in again... and again.
I could not fault the food, but felt the alcohol prices a little steep, with a limited number of wines available by the glass. My husband's glass of beer cost over £6.00. One negative thing I have to say is that I waited a long time, then had to go up and ask for another glass of wine; and that a jug of water was not brought out when the wine came. Having water on the table is usually done here and in my opinion a good idea, and many places do not charge for it. I assume that the couple running the place speak English, they did not to us, even though they heard us conversing.

• Visited March 2012