“Best Food we ate In France” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Tillsonburg, Canada
“Best Food we ate In France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We came here on recommendation from our Bed and Breakfast Owner which gave us a ride here (long story).
We ordered the Menu of the day and it was perfect from start to Finish, beautiful restaurant, superb staff, very quiet and professional.
This is how a restaurant should be run, as the courses were spaced apart perfectly, all the food was locally sourced, and the chef even came out after the dinner hour to ask all the tables about their meal.
My favourite part was the Pate, which was homemade and unbelievable.
The whole meal was of excellent Value, for the amount of courses, food, and wine we got a great deal.

The best part of the whole experience is we planned on walking home after the meal, when the owner said she would not let that happen and actually gave us a ride back to our bed and breakfast since we didn't have a car, that is a first in my life and the kind of service that no one could ever expect, if you want to eat in the Loire Valley, come here.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Somerset
“Wonderful Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

It's not the first time that we have eaten at the Auberge du Val de Vienne, but it is the first time that we have eaten lunch. We met friends there that we haven't seen for a very long time and shared an extremely pleasant and delicious meal.

The décor of the restaurant is very traditionally French, with walls of limestone and wood panelling and an attractive fireplace in the main restaurant. I feel that this room is reminiscent of a library in a country house.

The lady waiting tables was very friendly and chatty and informed us about some of the dishes on the menu. We all decided to take the 3 course 'Menu Découverte' at 37.90 euros. There was also a 'Menu de Marché' at 21. 90 euros. To accompany the drinks that we ordered, we were given some delicious nibbles.

I started my meal with a lobster and nectarine salad. Immediately it was put in front of me, I started to wish that I had taken my camera to the restaurant, as the colours of it harmonised well and the presentation was attractive. I really enjoyed the combination of fruit and savoury. I followed this with red snapper with a saffron sauce. The creamy sauce had a subtle hint of saffron and this went very well with the fish and the accompanying vegetables. My rhubarb and strawberry dessert was not at all what I had anticipated. It was served in a large glass (which is not my favourite way to present a dessert, as the ingredients get mixed up together) and the strawberries rather dominated the taste of the rhubarb. Never the less, it was very enjoyable.

My husband and our friends also very much enjoyed their meals as well and the quality of the Chinon wine was particularly appreciated. We would certainly recommend this restaurant to others and would return if we have the opportunity.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Super Meal, Super Service, Super Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Had the set menu in the evening, couldn't fault it; aperitif, amuse buche, starter, main and cheese, palette cleanse, wine and coffee all for €50 per head.

Cravant, France
“Terrific restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Always good. Excellent menu and wine list. Beautiful space in which to enjoy delicious food. Don't miss it.

Visited March 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Well worth the visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

A great meal in a warm and friendly setting. Lots of little unexpected treats capped off a really great meal. We thought it was great value for the money. The menu had a lot of choice and the host kept surprising us with little tempters in between courses. One of the best meals on our trip.

• Visited October 2013