“great value of money” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cordova
Cebu City, Philippines
“great value of money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

We spent our Christmas at Alta and our family had a great bonding together. We were so amused by the friendliness of the staff who were there to help us out whenever we needed assistance. The food at the Christmas eve dinner was great with my favorite lechon. and various desserts which I can't resist. See you soon Alta and thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed here the first week of December and was pleasantly surprised at the level of service I received. The rooms and grounds were clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. I travel a lot and can't remember ever encountering a hotel staff that always said yes to everything I requested. They never said the usual 'sorry sir'. They always somehow made it happen. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a ground floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I went back to this Hotel, I wasn't as impressed as last time,
The people are still friendly, and the pool is still a nice area the food is good.
I stayed for 6 nights then I was going to Boracay for 16 nights and I was coming back.
So I asked the girl that seemed to run the place if she could give me a good deal,
what day will you be back? so I told her the 28th I will want a better room.
so when I got back the hotel was booked out, the never reserved a room for me,
I was put up in another hotel for the night, and I will be writing a bad review of that hotel.
they said 1 night, rang me the next day 1 more night,
I only had 1 more left,
then I got back had to leave the next morning, paid my bill, and when I got home I got a message on facebook from 1 of the girls that they forgot to charge me 1900 pesos.
I had money left I sent 2000 pesos, It never arrived.
they don't have music every 2nd night, like before, only on occasions when there is a conference. or whatever, well I don't think I will go back.

Room Tip: book your room online, have confirmation, maybe pay the bar and restaurant bill every day.and check...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
I am Larry, Alta’s owner.

The gust arrived unannounced with no booking. When we told him that we had no room for the first two nights, but were willing to pay for alternative, he said it was OK.

I spoke to Michel on many occasions during both his stays and felt we had become good friends. He wrote a very complimentary review his last stay.

He told me several times on both trips that we are perhaps the best resort in the Philippines.

After we agreed to pay for the most expensive nearby resort (more than double Alta’s Rates), he changed his mind and shortened his stay, causing us a loss.

Based on the exaggeration by the media, many people wrongly assumed that the entire Philippines was a disaster area. Most of the damage was in a very small area far north of us. We sustained no damage

During the earthquake and typhoon, there were many cancellations. We had more than 80% cancellations during our peak season. With the fewer bookings and much lower room prices + the 25% we pay the booking company for many guests, this is not a good month for most resorts. Given the losses we were up against, we felt we were very generous with this guest.

Even if though he did owed us the 1900, and even if it was his mistake to send it by mail (notorious for money theft) so that it never arrived, we did not ask for him to pay us what he owed us by credit card. Instead we took an additional loss on this booking. By his comments, I hope he is not inferring that we are dishonest.

All hotels have large turnover, so honest mistakes do happen everywhere.

We feel his review is a little unreasonable, especially since he seemed like a very happy guy during his entire stay-treating myself and all our staff like family.

Our apologies for any inadvertent mistakes or mis-communications.
Cebu Island, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Apart from, this is located at a very far area in Cordova (next town to Lapulapu City, Cebu), the staff needs hundreds of training and re-training, especially the frontdesk. When we came, frontdesk just seemed blank and already confused on what to do once there are two to three guests coming to register, pay, etc. And us, for her might be just ordinary filipinos, she turned to the two foreign guests when we were there first asking if what room was our group checked-in (for a stay-in seminar).

Next, staff at the restaurant, the waiters just put the glasses on the racks AT THE FLOOR. Worse? When we came for our snacks of (disgusting) sandwhich, ANTS crawled like a colony and the staff just did nothing about it! Worst? We've seen cockroach running around that gazebo for breakfast.

Avoid this hotel, poor crampy rooms with aircon smell so disgusting. Distance, there are many at Lapulapu City if you want pool. Their pool is crowded (or perhaps only when we were there) or whatever, as long as its a distasteful hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Sorry this woman had a bad experience. But most guests say the opposite.

I am the American owner. My wife and I live and work full time at the resort. Guests say they can see that the resort is better managed than most, because personally devote a lot of our time to making sure things are as they should be.

For the past few years, Alta Cebu was awarded the badge of excellence.
We are the closest resort to Cebu City.

Gm’s from other hotels, industry professionals and cruise line captains tell us our staff is some of the best they have ever seen.it is the most often head compliment we receive from the vast majority of guests as well.

When a staff is newly hired, they may not be perfect in execution, but this is true at any hotel.
The rooms are neither small, nor smelly. Most guests say our room conditions are one of our best assets. Most of the AC are top of the line split AC induction units- the most expensive on the market.

We have 2 pools. The new pool is rarely used and almost never crowded.

We apologize if this guest felt we let her down in any way.
Lapu Lapu, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Visited Alta for a day & overnight stay last Nov. 1 since it was a holiday.
The place was near & very easy to locate, so no hassle. At the gate, we were greeted by a smiling security officer, & was given the right directions into the resort.

Since we came in early, we could not check in yet, but we were allowed to use the facilities first while our room was being prepared. Took advantage of their GC which was worth the pay. Though it took a long time (almost 40 minutes) before I got confirmation that we are okay, I was not bored with the wait as I was given internet access right at the front desk by a smiling & accommodating Cindy. Though the resort does not have a beach, the pool was okay, with almost no one swimming so it was quiet. Had fun shooting some hoops behind the pool, & was even able to lift some weights at their open air fitness center, that area needs some arranging & proper positioning of machines though. I don't know if the other staff were shy, but only the gate security, cindy at front desk, Jessica at the restaurant, & 1 housekeeping staff greeted us.
Lunch was okay, though the chef or maybe the waitress miss out on our choice for the sinigang, but the lunch was okay though.

Room was surprising, very clean & the room color was light, perfect for us!

The pool depth indicator could be more obvious so that kids & other guests will be well aware,
& suggestion that there should be 1 lifeguard on duty. It pays to have 1 for safety of guests, as the other side of the pool is very deep, about 6ft.

Overall had a quiet & relaxing stay. Enjoyed counting the airplanes which passed & flew above us.

There is also a wall climb area where those who have the thing for heights could enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We had booked two nights at this property with the possibility of extending for a third. Upon arrival, despite the fact that the guard at the gate had checked our reservation and called ahead, when we got out of the taxi, the entrance was deserted. Nobody there to help with our bags. Finally, after five minutes of waiting, somebody turned up. At reception, we acknowledged that we had arrived before the usual 2pm check-in time, and asked if our room was available. The receptionist informed us that she could accommodate us, however as she was speaking to us, her supervisor passed by and told her (in the local language, which she obviously thought we could not understand) that she needed to charge us 1,500 pesos for early check-in. We were appalled by this attitude, especially when we also discovered that they were not full. My companion, a professional in the hotel industry, confirmed to me that charging for early check-in when there were empty rooms was unprecedented and that we should not accept. We quickly cancelled our reservation, found online another hotel, and departed. This hotel therefore lost. 3 room nights in their attempt to "gouge" what they thought were unsuspecting tourists. We were also dismayed to see that Trip Advisor had awarded this property an excellent rating. We hope that others considering this property are now sufficiently warned. Trip Advisor should also consider revising its information, so that others do not suffer the expense of a two way taxi ride to a remote part of Mactan island and the time waste that we had to go through today. If the hotel owners decide to change their practices, then they will need to put it in writing to Trip Advisor so that future guests will feel secure that they will be treated in the same way as guests in any other hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
My name is Larry, the western owner of Alta.

This guest came at 9AM. I am not aware of any hotels that give rooms 5 hours ahead for no charge.

He mentioned that we did not look busy. That is because other guest arrive at 2 PM, not at 9AM. We had been full with a big group of students the day before with check out earlier that morning– so all rooms were dirty- in some we needed to move out extra beds- there were no rooms cleaned yet.

Alta Cebu has received the badge of excellence for the past few years from Trip Advisor. Our staff of 80 is well trained. Most guests say Alta Cebu offers some of the best service available anywhere in the world, including cruise line captains, GM’s from other top hotels and many guests.

If it were only an hour or two, often do make exceptions,when possible, though most guests don’t mind using resort facilities while they wait; there are plenty of things to do on our 7 acre resort while guests wait for us to ready the room.

By acting impulsively on his wrong assumptions rather than checking out what he could do while he waited, he failed to notice that we offer good value, a unique and cozy boutique resort, wonderful gardens. Our restaurant is air conditioned and we have boating and many sports and activities.

Our apologies if there was a mis-communication.
Cebu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

ALTA Cebu Resort is a place to be if you need Tranquility.
It's near Mactan so it's easy going there from the airport.

My husband and I went there using the GPS app from my Samsung phone and I was so impressed with "getting there". So acurate and has a good signal. The place has free wifi, a rooftop terrace and a restaurant with garden views and 2 swimming pools.

ALTA Tranquility Center is the place to be for rest and relaxation, offering body scrubs, body treatments, body wraps, massages, as well as facials, beauty services and massage/treatment rooms. This 3-star Mactan Island resort in Cordova offers a marina, a full-service spa and shopping on site. If you want low-key dining options, you will be pleased to find barbecue grills, a grocery/convenience store and a picnic area. Why not go for a swim as this resort features an outdoor pool, a good way to unwind. There is also a poolside bar and a bar/lounge so guests can sip a refreshing drink by the pool or indoors. Additional leisure facilities include a music library, an arcade/game room, a library, billiards, a pool table and a media library giving you even more for your money when staying here. Family-friendly amenities at this resort include babysitting/childcare, a creche (nursery) and supervised childcare/activities.

Guests staying at this resort on a business trip can easily organize an event as there is a conference center for hire as well as a business center and audiovisual equipment. You can also benefit from banquet facilities, a computer station and event catering. Enjoy free newspapers in the lobby, where you will also find a safe at reception for your valuables. Other amenities include gift shops/newsstands, wall climbing, sports center, free parking, dry cleaning/laundry services, currency exchange, a garden and laundry facilities.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to ALTA Cebu Resort? Share your experiences!