“Very relaxing place to stay for Robert and Rhea” 5 of 5 stars

ALTA Cebu Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Pilipog | Cordova, Cordova 6017, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cordova
Bathurst
“Very relaxing place to stay for Robert and Rhea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my 11 nights at the Atla Resort. All the staff are great and the food was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble. We stayed in a premium room that was very nice and a bit different with the paintings on the walls.
Would I stay there again? Definately Yes,, That says it all

Room Tip: Go Premium
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have been visiting Cebu for a number of years as my wife originates from the there. Our trip this time starting in early January was for 4 weeks and we had an itinerary mapped out where we would be staying both in the city and the provinces. My wife was keen to have her sisters and their 2 young children stay with us for a few days as they had never had anything that resembled a holiday and we decided that Alta would be ideal as there would not be the restrictions that a conventional hotel would bring. Well we were not wrong Alta is not conventional, it can best be described as a collection of bungalows set in a tropical rainforest, but with all the modern amenities. The kids loved it, they had the freedom to roam the grounds safely and use of the pool which they spent hours enjoying. As for the adults what more could you want than just sitting arround the pool relaxing and enjoying a drink. As for the food it was fine, breakfast was freshly cooked and adequate and the evening meal was varied and delicious and they also stock some decent wines. Staff wise they can't be faulted always polite and smiling. Some of the previous reviewers have made mention of the problems with taxis. We never found this, if we asked the reception to order a taxi it was there within 5 minutes and it was always metered and therefore we were never ripped off. On our last day after checking out we were moving to a hotel in Cebu city centre and reception asked if we would like to use their own car and driver. which we did and we driven door to door for 600 pesos not expensive by western standards. finally I would like to say thanks to Larry the owner of the resort, he's very hands on and if there are any minor niggles he will get them sorted..Would we go back to Alto yes we will, hopefully towards the end of the year and the kids are alreadyexcited at the prospect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Alta is located in a mainly residential area away from the ocean. The taxi driver did have difficulty finding it but there are signs off the main road. We only found one other sit down restaurant in the area. The wifi worked well and a small safety deposit box is available at the reception desk. The breakfast that was a buffet was good but if there are not many people at the hotel, they offer a smaller set menu selection of food. There is a free shuttle bus to a beach at 9:00 and you have to pay to use the beaches ( we paid 90 pesos) and you have to pay a taxi to get back to the Alta ( from 200 to 500 pesos).The place is noisy as you can hear other guests and staff outside and there are numerous airplanes that fly almost directly overhead. We did have a misadventure as 2 days before we left we asked the shuttle driver if the shuttle was available to take us to our next hotel. He said 'yes' so we went to the front desk and scheduled the shuttle for 11:30. The next day the driver came by us at the pool and mentioned he was driving us. On our day of departure at 11:20 the front desk told us the driver was on his way. I checked a few more times and each time was assured the driver was on his way or was just about at the Alta. At 12:30 I finally went to another staff and explainied the situation. He then said he would drive us in his private vehicle. We are thankful to him and it leaves us wondering why numerous staff kept telling us the shuttle was on its way when there was no shuttle available.
One of the things we really did appreciate is that staff at the resort will take you to the orphanage a short distance away. There appears to be a good working relationship between the Alta and the orphanage.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We’d like to thank this reviewer for the complimentary review. Because this guest had never been to the Philippines, she probably had little idea what to expect. Therefore, she can be forgiven for making some erroneous assumptions.

All resorts in Cebu are in “mainly residential areas”. We are a bay-front resort. The ocean directly accessed from Alta Cebu- a few hundred meters distance from Alta Cebu- at the opening to Alta Bay. There is a bridge connecting Alta Cebu Resort to Alta Bay and dock and we do offer rafting tours of the bay and nearby shallow ocean with plenty of tropical fish to be seen.

We do recommend using Alta Cebu’s airport pick up service (at about the same price as taxis charge) to avoid getting lost after a long and tiring journey. Some taxi drivers overcharge and some will try and hard-sell another resort to make a commission. It is worth noting that Alta Cebu is the closest resort to Cebu City. Since they normally work with no maps and no training (also, this is a high turnover job), there are many taxi drivers in Cebu who often get lost when looking for other resorts as well.

There are at least 6 restaurants nearby. Our butler is always happy to discuss nearby things to do and restaurants.

We do not get many complaints about noise, especially from those guests who know what to expect when they visit the Philippines. All resorts in the Philippines are noisy at times- as is Alta Cebu. For many Filipinos and some other Asians and Westerners, noise equals fun. At 7.5 acres (3 hectares) Alta Cebu is one of the larger resorts in Cebu; there are always quiet places to retreat to in the gardens, at Alta Bay Dock or by the swimming pools. We are (this month) completing a new swimming pool, located far away from the guest rooms, so that the noise-lovers can make noise without bothering the guests who want to sleep early.
We have a rule that staff needs to be quiet when working near the guest rooms.

There are also times when guests say we are too peaceful. It all depends on the crowd that day- same as all resorts. We do have a noise-curfew at night, so that guests can sleep in peace.

Generally, planes fly infrequently and they are quite high in the sky-the airport is about 8 miles away- so the noise is not even notice by most guests. In fact, many guests enjoy watching them.

We apologize about the shuttle incident. Alta Cebu does extensive ongoing training (often daily). Sometimes staff makes wrong assumptions or say things without checking first-something which will be found even at the most expensive 5 star resorts. This habit is cultural, which makes it difficult to correct, even with frequent training.

Alta Cebu Resort is the biggest donator to the orphanage and many guests also donate time and money.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here with our kids and my parents in January 2013 for several days as we were doing volunteer work at the orphanage next door. The location was super convenient for this, though fairly inconvenient for any other amenities. (And quite honestly, Mactan/Cordova aren't the greatest locations in the Philippines if you are looking for beaches, so we didn't mind that it wasn't near a beach.) The resort is a nice, chilled-out little oasis with lots of personality (the landscaping, the activity areas, the room decor). The restaurant and breakfast were both good, and the staff were helpful and accommodating. My kids enjoyed the pool and hammocks a lot when we weren't working at the orphanage, and the owner introduced himself to my parents to make sure their stay was enjoyable. All in all a nice stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
This review is very flattering, and we are most grateful that this guest took the time to write some nice things about us. The only thing mentioned that we take exception to is the fact that we are not far from Cebu city- as compared to our peers (all other resorts are farther travel time than Alta Cebu). In fact there are 6 or more restaurants within a ¼-1 mile radius and many and many more malls, restaurants and other tourist activities within a 6 mile radius of Alta Cebu. If a guest wants to escape the noise, pollution and lack of beauty which is the norm for most big cities in under-developed countries, they have no choice but to take the 30 to 45 minute taxi drive from Alta Cebu. Keep in mind that almost all the congestion is inside the city, not on our island, so most hotels in the city have extended travel time as well. Some malls, restaurants and other popular attractions (including all water sports and activities) are actually closer to Alta Cebu than from popular Cebu hotels.

One more thing we’d like to mention is that Alta Cebu does offer a daily shuttle to beaches on Mactan Island.

Thanks again to this guest for the nice review.
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

While there are a lot of good things about about Alta, there are also a few not-so-good things and in order to be fair I will touch on both in this review.

My girlfriends and I live and work in Korea which gets quite cold in the wintertime so needless to say we were looking very forward to soaking up the rays at both the pool and the beach. Because we are three females traveling alone in a foreign country, I decided to book a taxi through the resort rather than take a random one at the airport for safety reasons. When we arrived, our taxi was no where to be found which was understandable because our plane had been delayed about two hours in Manila. I had a clerk at the airport phone the resort and the lady who I spoke with was very apologetic about our driver not being there and directed us to take an airport taxi. After we secured a taxi and walked outside someone was at the taxi booth with a sign with my name on it. It was an awkward situation because we had already made a deal with another driver to take us to Alta. When I asked him why he wasn't inside he said that taxi drivers weren't allowed in the terminal. That's fine and somewhat understandable as well but I think Alta should have relayed this information to me when I booked the taxi because in all the airports I have ever been to (which are a lot) drivers are always inside the terminal waiting for their passengers.

When we arrived at the resort, I was very shocked not to mention a little uncomfortable to find that Alta is located dead-smack in the middle of a very, very poor area. The resort is surround by shanty shacks and what I would consider to be extreme poverty. I didn't expect that. None of us did. Who would?

The taxi driver quoted us a price of 475 pesos only to find out at reception that it was 400, not 475. This was the first of many times that my girlfriends and I would be ripped off by taxi drivers as Alta is very far away from any and everything.

After waiting a good 20 minutes we were shown to our standard room which I have to admit I was extremely disappointed with. It was painfully plain. There were no drawers to put our clothes in, just a cupboard-like closet IN THE BATHROOM where I ultimately refused to put my clothes as the moisture from the steam of taking showers would eventually cause my clothes to smell like mildew. No thank you. I opted to keep my clothes in my suitcase. The reception on the television was fuzzy at best but I didn't want to make a big deal out of it because I didn't come all the way to the Philippines to watch television.

The next morning I was awakened by the sound of roosters crowing which they did all. day. long. I can't really blame Alta for this because I'm pretty sure that it was coming from the shanty shacks but it is something that I think someone thinking about staying at Alta would like to know because it gets really old really fast.

Breakfast was good. In fact, all the food I had at Alta was great bordering on excellent and reasonably priced, and this is coming from a very picky eater. I recommend the chicken and pork adobo, the Alta Cub, the chicken cordon bleu, the butter chicken and the apple pie ala mode. My only complaint is that there was a time when I ordered two scoops of ice cream (chocolate and strawberry) and it was very freezer burnt which is why I never ordered it again.

I found the customer service to be quite good. The employees, especially Cha, Leia, Maymay and a young gentleman whose name began with an 'M' (I think) were extremely friendly, attentive and very on top of things. I wish I could say the same for a supervisor whose name I will not mention but my girlfriends and I found to be quite rude and catty, Rolling your eyes and snapping at guest isn't exactly the best way to ensure that we have a pleasant stay. Perhaps some more training for this particular individual is in order. Also, I have to admit that I was disappointed in the fact that although the owner,"Sir Larry", did not introduce himself to myself and my friends until the fourth day that we were there although we had seen him (and I know had seen us) a few times. I actually saw him talking to other guest and couldn't help it but to feel a bit snubbed. Eventually, he did come over and chat with us briefly but I think it was because I had mentioned something about it to a staff member who most likely in turn said something to him about it. Maybe not. From reading reviews prior to our stay I was very impressed that the owner had taken such an active role and I was very much looking forward to having a chat with him so like I said I was a little disappointed.

It was my intention to indulge in a massage every day however, my friend and I had to cancel the first massage we booked due to the fact that it was scheduled for 1PM and by 2PM, they still weren't ready. All the other massages we booked were ready right on time and were truly amazing. The ladies we very kind, welcoming and talented.

My friends and I were keen on taking a few tours but the prices of the resort's tour packages were ridiculously and insulting overpriced. They were AT LEAST 3000 pesos (about $75US) more than what other well-known tour operators were charging. Maybe what Alta is charging is in the ballpark range of what other hotels and resorts are charging (I'm not sure) but honestly, if the tours were decently priced we would have taken one every day and the resort would have made something off of us rather than the nothing the ultimately got.

The beach. What can I say? First off, Alta is no where near a beach. They say that it is a one mile/15-20 minute ride but that's just not true and I felt very misled. Check it out for yourself on google maps. Second, you have to pay to get on all of the beaches. The cheap beach (I forget the name) was 20 pesos pp (about 50 cents) plus 300 pesos (about $7.50) to use a cabana. This beach wasn't a beach. It was a giant toilet and I wish I could say that I'm exaggerating a little but I can't. There were stray dogs, garbage every where and it smelled like a sewer. I didn't even bother to get in the water because I quite enjoy not having a staph infection. I'm sure that the Shangrila Resort's beach is nice but I wasn't willing to pay the 2000 pesos ($50US) to find out. There was also another beach listed in the welcome packet but it too was quite pricey at 1000 or 1500 pesos pp.

The 'fitness center' is a joke at best. Again, I wish I was exaggerated but I'm not. It's a nightmare. The equipment is very, very old and broken-down. I really wish I hadn't taken up precious space in my luggage with my gym clothes and sneakers because I didn't need them.

On the last night we were there there was some kind of event in celebration of the Sonolog Holiday which I have to admit was pretty fun. They had a couple of contests of which I won both but they opted to give me the prize in the morning; however, we were leaving at 2:30AM to catch a redeye. I informed the staff of this and later that night they came to my room with a necklace as the prize. It was pretty but I don't think that was the real prize but even if it was, where was the other prize? I won two contests.

Upon checkout, I discovered my bill to be double what it was supposed to be. I was being charge 6000+ pesos when my real bill was just over 3000. That's a pretty big mistake to make. Alta really should make it a point to do a better job at keeping individual tabs.

Overall, Alta gets an A for effort but not much else from me. They try. They really do but there are definitely a few things that they could do better. I think it's a place for older people (40+) who just want to get away and stay in their rooms or lie out by the pool. It isn't for younger people like myself and my friends. I hate to say it, because I think they do try, but I wouldn't stay at Alta again. I would have left but our stay was booked through Agoda and non-refundable. With all the money I ended up spending on taxis, I could have just put that towards a nicer place on the beach in an area that I could actually walk around in with a significantly lesser chance of get robbed or worse. I think it's bad form to advertise that they're next to beach when they are clearly not, to charge a 10-20% service charge, a corking charge for food brought into the resort, say that they have a fitness center when the machines are so old and broken down that they can't possibly be used by anyone and have an eye-rolling supervisor to boot. Just because a guest books a standard room doesn't mean that they should just get four walls and a bed. I could have gotten that for $10 a night elsewhere in Cebu. How about hanging a picture on a wall or two? A faucet that didn't spew water everywhere would have been nice as well a drain stopper that wasn't rusted and a chest of drawers or a wardrobe that's not in the bathroom. The reception staff should discuss the price of taxis with drivers for guests as the drivers are likely not to lie to another Filipino.

Because I believe that Alta is at an extreme disadvantage based on its location, I think that they shouldn't just strive to be better but that they should be better. Just because other resorts charge service and cork charges and have ridiculously inflated tour prices doesn't mean that Alta can or that Alta should. I would also like to add that it is my hope that Alta contributes to the community that it is located in. I'm sure it does but just in case it doesn't I wanted to put that out there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
My apologies for the long response- I tried to put the most important replies in the beginning of my review. This reviewer writes nearly 4000 words combined in two different review sites. Most guests do not feel the way this guest does, judging by the many excellent reviews.
First of all, if we were to overbill, we would soon have no guests. The truth is that she reviewed the bill the night before, but she bought a massage and many more things after she reviewed the bill.

She left at 2:30 in the morning and apparently did not look at the added charges before leaving or did not ask for explanation. She assumed malice where there was none

Running a large resort with a staff of 80 is never easy, so we first want to thank this reviewer for pointing out some ways for us to become even better; we are busy implementing improvements; it’s clear that not having the chance to compare us to other resorts, she also had some misconceptions of what level of accommodation and service one can reasonably expect from any Philippine resort.

As she mentioned, we try harder, which means we provide better from-the-heart caring service than almost any other resort. Why? Because we are the only mid-sized or large resort that I know of where the owners live on the property and are involved in operations and customer service both day and night, 7 days a week, attempting to assure that the expectations of the average guest are met. We give surveys to every guest upon check-in in our effort to be constantly improving. When a guest doesn’t fill out the guest survey form or is too polite to complain, they sometimes make wrong assumptions.

Many guests say that Alta Cebu is a refreshingly different and unique boutique resort that mirrors the happy-fun attitude of the Cebuano culture. The most common comment is about our genuinely friendly staff.

To try and make guests stay memorable and enjoyable, we needed to make some choices. I think did not educate herself on what to expect- a happy fun-loving culture- which means all resorts will have problems providing the level of service she would expect in Korea- by coming with unrealistic expectations means her eyes are not open to the best parts of this relaxed culture. The few resorts which manage to be more perfect not only charge a lot more, but also do so at the expense of the relaxed, genuinely caring and happy-harmonious family-like atmosphere which Alta is famous.

Because we were overbooked, we had to assign her a room which is considered overflow room- mostly reserved for students and backpackers. We should have explained that to her. Unfortunately she did not complain directly to us, so we had no way to do what we could to make her stay a better one.

Our village is similar to the average level of poverty in the Philippines. Alta Cebu employees most of our staff from the nearby village. We also donate rice and food to those villagers in need as well as being the largest donor for the nearby orphanage. Our guests (including her travel mate) appreciate the change to learn about the culture and the people in it by exploring in the local village and meeting the local inhabitants.

There is poverty the world over, but in most countries the poverty is hidden somewhere across the tracks. Cebuano’s are said to be some of the happiest people in the world, so their poverty does not stop them from finding the best in life.

Who would expect it she asks? Anyone who has been to the Philippines. All resorts are next to or surrounded by the same type of poverty. She made the assumption that this type of poverty is rare and that such poor people will be home to more criminals. In fact the opposite is true –there are more criminals in the better parts of Cebu. It is quite safe for guests (like her travel mate) to wander around on their own and soak up culture by chatting with local villagers. I do recall speaking with one of her friends for about 30 minutes before the festivities. This friend told me she was very happy with most everything about Alta.

In fact, the level of poverty in the village has decreased markedly since we began here ten years ago. Alta and our guests have sponsored kids and paid for school supplies , food and other things for the kids of the village and of the orphanage.

Alta brought Cable TV, internet to the village- at a cost to Alta Cebu of more than $10,000 for the installation poles and lines. The people of Pilipog village well fed and happy and are glad for the internet and cable TV which we provided to the Village.

We use the licensed tour companies and take a small commission for referring them to what we know to be the best travel tour companies. Our tours actually cheaper than other resorts, in some cases much cheaper. The $75 cheaper tour may be from a well-known operator, but it is impossible that they are a licensed tour company. There are many complaints about such companies.

The fuzzy TV reception was a problem with the local cable company. It was fixed soon after her departure.
We thank her for her kind comments about the food and the friendly customer service; Alta ranks up there with many 5 star resorts for both food and service, according to many guests and even a prominent, well respected Filipino Congressman.

All resorts are near poor areas just like our neighborhood. Philippines is not like resort meccas like Thailand where they locate resorts in a big group away from the local poverty.And our prices are cheaper, across the board, than many 3 and 4 star resorts. I admit we are not perfect, but we are very popular and often we have to turn guest away because we are fully booked.

She did not mention that most beaches in Cebu are not very nice. After one day at the beach, many guest prefer to enjoy our extensive “best in Cebu gardens” and our 5-star pool area and “cleanest pool in the Philippines” (according to many guests), rather than sun bathing on “postage stamp sized” beaches, often with plenty of flies, jelly fish, sea urchins and sea weed clogging many beaches.

To compensate for our few shortcomings, Alta Cebu has added an array of unique attractions, and many things not available at other resorts in Cebu, or at much higher prices. She neglected to mention that Alta Cebu offers lots of free stuff that cost money or is not available at most other resorts, such as: shuttle to malls and beaches, wall climb, in room DVD players and many DVD’s, big sand park area with many sports like basketball, volleyball, darts, board games etc. We also have more reliable internet than many other hotels and resorts because of our 5 broadband providers and 7 wi-fi hot spots. Alta Cebu also offers a spa, rafting tour etc at moderate prices.

I think this woman would have been quite content with our true superior rooms, and definitely with our deluxe rooms (only $7 per night more).
The cost to come back to Alta from the beach or mall is normally $2.50 to $5.00 one way- not the $10 to $14 she is quoting; our guards can help solve issues, if the taxi driver is trying to overcharge. Compared to what they would have paid during this week, the savings were substantial. A similar nearby resort was charging $250 for a room that we were charging $60. Also the food is much better at Alta and also cheaper. They chose to go to the beach which is farthest from Alta. There is a beach one mile away.
This restaurant supervisor had been told that this was her last week, so perhaps she was in a snappy mood because we had recently decided she was not good enough and because she was soon to be without a job. Finding good management is never easy, but is it considered to be more difficult in the Philippines than in many other places.
Cebu Island, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

...I can't exactly recall how many times I've been to alta cebu with tito fred and tita ching.It's just that when we are ask where to stay or spend some days of our vacation,we always say at alta.want to know why?it's because there is one thing in alta that i really like most or let's say we really like most,.it's their....SERVICE..the resort offers the best quality of service to their customers ...the personnels ,the manager,and of course the..OWNER..they are very nice and approachable.not to mention their satisfying and delicious foods,,comfortable rooms,,and inviting swimming pool..so..i won't say no when it comes to alta cebu..
..from cherry ann,student of freddy glasbergen and ching glasbergen.

Room Tip: japanese heya is a very comfortable room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cebu City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

...this is the nice place ever for a family, friends, etc.,...Like what we used to do. we always wanted to come back in this place every year. we won't last our vacation without visiting this paradise. i recommend this place to everyone for this is the best place we ever visited. i love the accommodation they gave, the nice foods in the restaurant, the inviting swimming pool, the room is excellent (japanese heya). daddy fred and mommy ching always bring us to this place. this place is very relaxing because of the nice people and very nice service, and the friendly staffs. IT IS THE PERFECT PLACE that i can't wait to visit this place again. from rizza, student of freddy glasbergen and ching glasbergen

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to ALTA Cebu Resort? Share your experiences!