“Never Again.....was I just unlucky??? Judge for yourself!” 2 of 5 stars

ALTA Cebu Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Pilipog | Cordova, Cordova 6017, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cordova
London, United Kingdom
“Never Again.....was I just unlucky??? Judge for yourself!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I used Trip Advisor Reviews to choose this hotel, and was surprised when I had such a bad experience there. On a positive note the staff were very friendly and helpful, a good choice of food was reasonably priced, and the rooms were clean and well equipped. I was somewhat surprised to find that at breakfast, Liptons Breakfast Tea, Orange Juice and Bacon are all at an extra charge!
On the bad side, in my premium room we found on arrival that the airconditioning, the dvd player, the toilet flush mechanism and the wifi did not function correctly. The first three were corrected quickly but the wifi never worked satisfactorily. On our first day they seemed to forget to clean the room. We had a call around 5pm to ask us if we wanted it cleaned!
It is a conference hotel, and over the weekend there were more than 200 filipino locals there on some organised function, which made the place seem very noisy and busy!

Less than half way into my 4 night stay, two payments were taken from my credit card without my knowledge or authorisation. I never received an account/bill for these payments even though I was staying there. One payment was for the room and although quoted in US$ was taken without my knowledge, and in Philippine Peso at an exchange rate which effectively added about $32 to the account. The second payment (also taken without my knowledge or authorisation was later admitted to be a mistake. I was told it would be refunded within a month. I am amazed that they can take my money in 2 days, but take a month for a refund. It is 3 weeks already and so far I am still awaiting the refund. A final account for food and drink was properly presented for authorisation on check out.

Although the staff appeared to handle these problems very politely, it was very frustrating that I had to deal with 3 or 4 different people, who however polite they were, did not seem to come up with an adequate solution. I am still waitng for my refund, which my credit card company says can be done in 2/3 days, rather than a month. I would not go here again, purely for all the hassle I encountered.

Room Tip: The premium room was fine after the faults were fixed, but the wifi was not working.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
We are sincerely sorry that this guests felt his expectations were not adequately met. Gauged by the overwhelming number of positive and continually improving reviews, it is evident that this is an unfortunate aberration, not a reversal of trend.
To ensure that guests have a happy vacation, Alta Cebu does more training- up to 1 to 2 hours of daily training per department- than most. Our staff are also better compensated and more seasoned than many other hotels. Even so, no hotel is perfect, even the most expensive ones.
Our staff is authorized by the booking company (GDS) to swipe the credit card, since he agreed by booking terms of the contract with them. We were only the intermediary for the collection of payment. GDS bookings provided us with both authorization and card details before his arrival. There was no need for the night auditor to authorize a third time. She is trained to catch mistakes and to be sure billings are correct- in this case an apparent undercharge. Perhaps she was fatigued and forgot to compare the incorrect bill with the correct amount on the charge slip. Honest mistakes happen at even the best of hotels, especially during peak season. Our GM spoke with her and she understands her mistake and promised to be more careful in future. There was no malicious intent – only a human error.

Normally our GM would handle money mistakes directly and personally. During his stay and even as he was leaving, he said he was happy with his stay and had no problems to report-so on one thought to get our GM involved. Service industry workers are expected to be polite, even if a guest is unreasonable and rude. Though this guest seems to understand that our staff’s cultural politeness probably made for a more difficult resolution, it seems that he is guilty of the same fault; he also favored politeness, which in this case got in the way of a more efficient solution.

Immediately after discovered the mistake, our GM did try to call the guest (3 times) and also sent him emails explaining the mistake and alerting him that we had processed his refund that same day. He did not respond to any of our attempts to keep him informed.

We bank with the largest in the Philippines. Unfortunately, Banks in Phil are very slow to process refunds.
Our complimentary breakfast is more than adequate in size and comes with two types of juice plus tea, hot chocolate or coffee, and fresh fruit. No resort that I know of offers complimentary (real) orange juice. By popular demand, we do offer non-complimentary alternatives to these free offerings (such as gourmet coffee, cappuccino, fresh orange juice, etc.), as do many other resorts.

The room was not cleaned because the guest had hung a do not clean/ do not disturb sign on his door.

Room check problems were a combination of a too heavy work load during peak season as well as the problems of the transition of duties to a new department head.
All hotels and resorts in Cebu do conferences. Whenever possible, we offer free upgrade to our best and quietest rooms in the quietest part of the resort during functions to all foreign guests. His room was in the quietest part of the resort. Some foreign guests like to join in the function festivities, having fun alongside the very amiable function guests.
As with all resorts, there will be times the internet provider temporarily can’t provide uninterrupted service. Unlike most other resorts, there is almost never a time when there is no access somewhere on our 3 hectare resort (we have 7 hot spots and 5 lines in with 2 different providers of internet Wi Fi broadband access)

There is a notice posted outlining various alternative internet access options both in his room and at various locations within Alta Cebu Resort or he could have asked any of our staff about connectivity problems.

We do thank this guest for giving us the chance to become even better with his helpful suggestions.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I recently stayed 9 days at the Alta Resort. I found it the perfect place to launch day trips from. The rooms are very clean and tidy. The food is excellent and i found i had many choices. The staff are so friendly, the make you feel part of the " Family". If you need something , just ask, so helpfull. Im going back as soon as i can. And please, check out the "Swimming with Whale Sharks" a once in a lfetime experience.
Thanks to all at Alta,
Laurie T, Melbourne, Australia

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Issaquah, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I highly recommend this resort. Everyone was so helpful and nice. This is a great eclectic hotel that we were fortunate enough to book. From the monkeys on sight, to the wonderful massage, to seeing local children being served. This hotel really supports its community. We loved our room and the pool and the people. We even had movies and DVD player in our room. This place was very memorable! Would stay again!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My second trip to Alta. This time I chose to stay in a permium room. Improvements to the bfast menu were very welcome but you need to patient in the restaurant at all times. It is an education just watching the gardeners at work and I was very pleased to see all the familiar places and faces. The butler system means you always are in the loop for local trips and you always meet some really nice people there. My local friends in Phil like the food and the pool and you are always able to see the sites. You are 20 to 30 mins at peak taxi time to main malls but taxis are cheap. Local markets and shops are worth a look but take a guide. The locals use the resort too and are very friendly. Good value for money and great facilities (you can be as idle or as active as you want). Larry the owner is always looking for feedback.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

My fiancée and I have stayed here twice now.. both times have been great! Its like coming home to family.. the staff is amazing and we all in the customer service industry know its difficult to find good help but you can tell every person here loves there job and that makes for a great experience for the guests!! That's why I will always stay here! They have been above my expectations the entire time.. I was worried because my fiancée was arriving a day before me and I wanted to be sure she was taken care of till I got there and they did great! She was so happy when I got here and we all know a happy wife is for a happy life! I can tell you I've stayed all over the world and all over the Philippines but this place is the best by far! Vivian was our host or butler and she made sure everything was great but also I'd like to talk about the driver! Henry was his name and he was awesome! I've never had a driver from a hotel that I actually liked or felt so comfortable with but he made every trip outside the hotel as nice as our stay inside the hotel.. also the front desk and restaurant staff was above expectations too!! They were always so nice to us and my fiancée loved them! I just can't say enough about this place! It was amazing!

• Stayed September 2012
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was my second visit to Cebu and the Alta Cebu Resort. It was like coming home to see all of my good friends there. As usual my fiance' and I were treated like part of the family. All of the staff was very attentive to our needs and we enjoyed meeting some new members of the staff as well. This resort is very tropical and romantic, comfortable, offers a good restaurant, relaxing pool, spa, the landscape is very tropical with beautiful plants and trees throughout. Things I recommend are: the massages at the spa, shuttle pickup from the airport, the buffets at the restaurant, and Jackie's banana shakes in the restaurant. We heard good things about a Festival show nearby from other guests. What puts this resort over the top is the friendly staff. They always greet you with a genuine smile and you know that they really care about your stay there and bend over backwards to attend to all of your needs. It is nice that the owner, Larry, is there and greets everyone on a one on one basis and makes you 'feel at home". Come, be ready to relax and enjoy the atmosphere there and leave with memories of lots of new friends made. The Alta is the only resort that we will choose on our visits to Cebu. We were lucky to find it on our first visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I was traveling with my family - two growing kids; a call in advance to the hotel and a quick conversation with the owner Larry, was very helpful. He was honest and shared the merits and demerits...but was quick to offer handy information. The property isnt that far from the airport but not close to the beaches...alternative, a daily morning shuttle or call for a cab which is very cheap. The overall value proposition is very high given the space, cottage feel, a wide array of recreational activities all power packed with hospitable staff. I actually remember every single person by name even though its been almost a month we left Cebu.
The food can be a challenge for vegetarians like us, however Jordan, F&B - was very helpful and almost every meal including the breakfast buffet was customised for us. Truly an experience. The quality wasnt truly international (kind of fusion food) however thats why we travel across countries...do get the local favours isnt it!
There is a very nice and beautiful pool, well maintained and what comes alongside is an ergonomically placed jaccuzzi overlooking the greens and the water at the same time.
The experience at the spa was very good, the massage was almost the same price as you would find in the city...yet so convenient and tranquile, must try!
There is a tiny zoo within the premises, however I am not too sure if its a good idea...
Will certainly go back for one more trip!

Room Tip: Call in early and share your preference for 1st floor vs ground. I think 1st Floor would have been a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to ALTA Cebu Resort? Share your experiences!