“OK for a stopover but a little too corporate for anything longer” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Strathclyde

You added Hilton Strathclyde to your Saves list
Hilton Strathclyde
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Phoenix Crescent Strathclyde Busine, Bellshill ML4 3JQ, Scotland   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bellshill
Leicestershire
“OK for a stopover but a little too corporate for anything longer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Strathclyde in June as a stopover on the way to Inverness. The hotel is out of the way of nearby pubs, restaurants etc but is also fully self sufficient, so you don't need to go out, but if you do, you need to drive or get a taxi.

We arrived fairly late (around 7.00pm) and there was a large function being held with the guests arriving at the same time we did, making the reception area very busy and very noisy.

We "fought" our way to reception and checked in - we were advised that the function would be in another area of the hotel so very shortly the crowds (and noise) would die down. We did struggle a little to hear and be heard but the receptionist was very polite and efficient and got us checked in with the minimum of fuss. We also booked in at the hotel restuarant for dinner from reception.

We had a standard room which was spacious and clean but was decorated and set out more for the corporate traveller than families/couples.

There was flatscreen TV, chair, desk, internet access (extra cost) etc and a reasonable sized double bed. I'd read a few of the negative reviews regarding the matresses at this hotel and unfortunately they were correct. The matress was probably the worst matress I have ever "slept" on (not much sleeping posible I'm afraid). According to some of the other reviews I have seen on TripAdvisor, the matresses are supposed to be quite new. If I were the hotel owners I would send them back. They are creaky, lumpy and extremely uncomfortable. There really isn't any excuse for this type of bedding in a hotel like this.

Everything else was "OK" regarding the room, but to add to my comments on the matress, we were travelling with my wife's parents who stayed in an adjacent room to ours and my father in law told me he had to get up and sleep in a chair as it was so uncomfortable.

As for the meal in the restaurant, that was fine and the noise and crowds had subsided, however the steaks on the menu were ridiculously overpriced, and the wine list wasn't cheap either.

The staff however were all very friendly and polite and we were very happy with the general service levels throughout. I did feel sorry for the duty manager and some of the waiting staff who were on duty when we went to bed at around 10.30pm and were there to greet us for breakfast at 8.00am!!! (Let's hope they don't have to sleep on those matresses).

Breakfast was a buffet of the usual hot and cold fare and was quite good. There was even smoked fish on the cold buffet and haggis on the hot selection.

Anyway, in summary, the hotel is OK, (there is apparently a good gym and pool however we did not see/use these) and the staff are great, but if you are looking for a comfy nights sleep, until they change those matresses, steer clear unless you like sleeping in chairs.

I've rated it average but only because of the staff - given we all mostly use hotels for sleeping, this one should be terrible.

Room Tip: I don't think any have a decent matress, so its Hobson's Choice.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, PA to Hotel Manager at Hilton Strathclyde, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for your post. It was great to have such a positive review of the staff and service.
As we have mentioned before many beds have either been replaced or are being replaced and this project continues to be rolled out. We continue to work hard as we wish all our guests to enjoy their experience. Should you decide to return in the near future please do not hesitate to contact me before your visit and I will personally oversee your arrangements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Forres, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We took our daughter who lives in Scotland and her 3 kids for a holiday in Glasgow. The Science Museum and Blair Drummond Safari Park were great. The pool at the Hilton Strathclyde was also a great hit with the kids. The hotel however was one of the worst 4 star hotels we have stayed in (and we travel from Australia to the Uk regularly). We were given 'delux' rooms in which the main double bed was too hard and the other bed was a pull out couch and totally unsuitable to sleep in. The kids woke in the middle of the night crying from how uncomfortable the beds were. The breakfast was also poor. We then stayed at a Premier Inn in Stirling and the beds and breakfast were far superior to the Hilton.

Room Tip: don't go!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Laura B, Director of Sales at Hilton Strathclyde, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad the kids enjoyed the pool. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a restful sleep due to the mattress. Although many of our beds have been replaced it would seem that some guests prefer the older style in comparison to the firmer new ones judging by the feedback we receive. A personal preference perhaps? As a result of your comments I am personally reviewing the pull out beds. I am suprised and sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with breakfast as this is usually where our guests comment on us excelling. Once again thank you for your feedback.
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

On a recent trip to Glasgow for the weekend I booked this hotel as I managed to get a great rate. When we arrived at the reception it was very trendy, the reception, bar and restaurant were open and very Malmasion-y! Lift to room the corridors were brick very old school as were the rooms. The room was a good size but the pictures don't lie, the bed was hard which was great as I have a bad back, the room décor was as see on internet, very old school large office style desk with plasma and keyboard and 90's type of computer with pink walls and standard bedding not like Hilton Newcastle! No air con, very warm room! This Hilton was welcoming from check in, in need of refurb in guest rooms but clean and quite cheap so worth a visit if the room decor does not bother you!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel facilities and for noticing our recent refurbishment to the public areas. Hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Used this a few times when working in Business park. Good food, friendly staff and comfortable and clean.
All I need really.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hello Mr Stokes, thank you for your kind feedback on our staff. Our team members pride themselves on customer service. I will share your words with our team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Thank you once again!
scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We spent may weekend at this hotel. we are regulars there (3-4 times each yr) very dissapointed this trip never slept at all.All beds have been changed and the matresses are so hard! The reception staff were lovely changed our room but it was the same, also the lovely relaxing restuarant with buffet evening meal has gone.As a family we used to love comming here for our breaks,good value for money, but unfortunately unless they change back to the matresses they had, wont be back in a hurry.This is a shame because the leisure facilities are great, convenient for shopping or as a stop over visiting family.Come on hilton sort this out listen to your customers!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
I am sorry to hear that you are not fully satisfied with our new dining experience. We have found that this is working well with our customers although not your personal preference. We hope that we can once again welcome you back to the hotel and give us the chance to improve on the rating

Thank you again for your feedback.
Anguilla
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

INTRODUCTION:

I checked out of the Hilton Stratchclyde a day ago. Sometimes its important not to wait to provide a review as delay often dulls the memory and time gets absorbed with other things.

THE GOOD:

The hotel has great potential and some pleasant staff. Chris at reception was helpful and courteous. The restaurant staff were generally efficient and pleasant, and the breakfast they offered was fairly extensive and tasty. The housekeeping staff were all very mannerly and pleasant; indeed they appeared to have the most naturally service oriented personalities of the entire hotel staff.

The hotel location while not ideal (in an industrial/business area with no restaurants or leisure facilities in walking distance) is just off the highway from Edinburgh/Glasgow. It further has a spa facility which I however did not visit.

The hotel offered me nice touches: newspapers, chocolates and water, presumably because I'm a gold member.

The rooms I saw were spacious with clean linens. The bathrooms were similarly spacious with clean towels and nice toiletries.

THE BAD:

An enjoyable night will most likely be marred by the very hard springy and lumpy beds that they offer. I had the unfortunate experience of having had to transfer rooms only to meet beds that were almost as lumpy and with what appeared to be the same hard coiled springs as were in the room before.

When I complained I was coldly informed that a better room was not available and moreover that the mattresses were new!!! I've lived long enough and slept in enough beds to know when a mattress is new, and these certainly were not. They further did not subscribe to the Hilton philosophy of nice fluffy pillows (each bed had 1 pillow only).

The room I was moved to (231) also overlooked a garbage dump area and a roof that was the near equivalent of a garbage receptacle given the extent of unsightly material on it.

The staff member who checked me in (I will happily provide name to Manager upon request) was civil but not particularly helpful. Neither was the other member of staff who came to usher us to the new rooms. Indeed she was what I would call "cold professional". A bit of warmth, a smile and a little less condescension would place her in good stead for her present role.

The hotel rooms spacious as they were could do with some refreshing and renovation, with updated colours, carpeting and of course bedding.

THE UNEXPECTED:

The complimentary chocolates to my shock had seemingly passed their expiry date!

I was further informed me that all Hilton Hotels were changing out all their bedding to the current hard coil and uncomfortable mattresses that I experienced at Strathclyde; unexpected and rather odd given that I'd experienced better, more comfortable (and newer) bedding at other Hilton (and family) hotels, including sleep number bedding all within a week of this Strathclyde stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Firstly thank you for your extensive feedback and pictures and let me apologise for your dissatisfaction with our new beds at the hotel. From feedback we have seen that the new mattresses are not to everyone’s preference. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your restaurant experience during your time with us. Thank you for your positive and kind words on our staff, your comments will be shared with them as we pride ourselves on the service we give to our guests. I hope that you will give us the chance to welcome you to the hotel in the future and make up for the shortfalls in your stay.

Thank you once again for all your feedback.
Bramhall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Stayed here on business and I have to say I was very impressed with the overall service and experience. The staff were so friendly, professional and helpful. The restaurant was fabulous and the food was first class..... Room was comfortable and clean but due to the fab weather it was a little hot. A great hotel and very well run...

Room Tip: If the sun is out choose a room at the front of the hotel as the rooms do get hot.....
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Laura B, Manager at Hilton Strathclyde, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you Lisa for your review. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. We will share your feedback with our team at the hotel.

Been to Hilton Strathclyde? Share your experiences!