My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Strathclyde in June as a stopover on the way to Inverness. The hotel is out of the way of nearby pubs, restaurants etc but is also fully self sufficient, so you don't need to go out, but if you do, you need to drive or get a taxi.
We arrived fairly late (around 7.00pm) and there was a large function being held with the guests arriving at the same time we did, making the reception area very busy and very noisy.
We "fought" our way to reception and checked in - we were advised that the function would be in another area of the hotel so very shortly the crowds (and noise) would die down. We did struggle a little to hear and be heard but the receptionist was very polite and efficient and got us checked in with the minimum of fuss. We also booked in at the hotel restuarant for dinner from reception.
We had a standard room which was spacious and clean but was decorated and set out more for the corporate traveller than families/couples.
There was flatscreen TV, chair, desk, internet access (extra cost) etc and a reasonable sized double bed. I'd read a few of the negative reviews regarding the matresses at this hotel and unfortunately they were correct. The matress was probably the worst matress I have ever "slept" on (not much sleeping posible I'm afraid). According to some of the other reviews I have seen on TripAdvisor, the matresses are supposed to be quite new. If I were the hotel owners I would send them back. They are creaky, lumpy and extremely uncomfortable. There really isn't any excuse for this type of bedding in a hotel like this.
Everything else was "OK" regarding the room, but to add to my comments on the matress, we were travelling with my wife's parents who stayed in an adjacent room to ours and my father in law told me he had to get up and sleep in a chair as it was so uncomfortable.
As for the meal in the restaurant, that was fine and the noise and crowds had subsided, however the steaks on the menu were ridiculously overpriced, and the wine list wasn't cheap either.
The staff however were all very friendly and polite and we were very happy with the general service levels throughout. I did feel sorry for the duty manager and some of the waiting staff who were on duty when we went to bed at around 10.30pm and were there to greet us for breakfast at 8.00am!!! (Let's hope they don't have to sleep on those matresses).
Breakfast was a buffet of the usual hot and cold fare and was quite good. There was even smoked fish on the cold buffet and haggis on the hot selection.
Anyway, in summary, the hotel is OK, (there is apparently a good gym and pool however we did not see/use these) and the staff are great, but if you are looking for a comfy nights sleep, until they change those matresses, steer clear unless you like sleeping in chairs.
I've rated it average but only because of the staff - given we all mostly use hotels for sleeping, this one should be terrible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Space at Hilton Strathclyde - Ideally located for part-way meetings between Edinburgh and Glasgow, merging a restaurant, bar and lounge. Just the place for you to catch up or take time out. Dine at your leisure with light refreshments, snacks and dishes served all day. Whether you want an informal setting to enjoy a coffee or if you want to dine in a more traditional setting for a hearty meal, the Space has it all.Business facilities include relaxed meeting areas where you can work in peace, Power points, free Wi-Fi,mobile charging stations and bluetooth connectivity. The hotel also boasts one of Scotland's biggest leisure facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hilton Strathclyde reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Strathclyde Hotel Bellshill
- Hilton Hotel Strathclyde
- Hilton Hotel Bellshill
- Hilton Bellshill
- Bellshill Hilton
- Hilton Strathclyde Bellshill, United Kingdom