“They do it all” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Mehlville
Iowa City, Iowa
“They do it all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The positive reviews for this hotel are very true after having stayed there 2 nights recently. The staff are extra friendly and do everything to make your stay comfortable. They would enquire about our plans for the day to see if they could help in any way. After the first several walks by the front desk, every time being asked how we were doing and the like, we actually started leaving through the back door to avoid this friendly chatter. I guess I'm more comfortable with staff who are there when you need them, but leave you alone at other times. That's just me, but most people probably like the added attention.

We had made reservations earlier in the week. We wanted to try the jacuzzi tub suite, but it was only available for the first of our 2 nights there. The first night we stayed in the room with jacuzzi tub since we were doing an anniversary weekend. The tub was nice, but I don't think it's worth the extra cost. We moved to a regular king room the next morning. The staff made sure the other room was ready early and made our move seamless.

The showers have adjustable heads. The beds, sheets, and duvet were very clean and comfortable. I found the pillows too soft, but didn't request any replacements. I'm used to most hotels having pillows too soft for my taste. The rooms were both quiet. They had microwaves, fridge, coffeemaker, iron, hairdryers, task lighting, flat-screen tv's with HD, wi-fi, etc. Everything worked well.

The breakfast was as described by others. Food was decent and there was a good selection. The staff were quick to replace empty coffee containers, etc. Everyone was very helpful and cordial.

We used the gym to do some free weights and treadmill. See pictures provided. The pool and hot-tub looked clean although we did not use them. There was a box of kids pool toys provided.

We took advantage of the 8pm cookie hour. The cookies (which are freshly-baked and warm) are left in a container for self service, although there were a couple of women there who were available to provide supplies such as silverware, etc. Cold milk is also provided.

The staff really do take pride in maintaining their number one status. They clean everything frequently, are very helpful with all needs, and treat all clients respectfully and courteously.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi tub not worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HamptonI55, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I love the title of your review, because that’s how we all kind of look at our job. We are all in it together so we all do it all. Thank you so much for writing and letting others know of our hotel. I know writing a review can be a hassle, so thank you for taking out the time.
Thank you for your description of our amenities, but I want to apologize about the pillows. Next time you come to visit us please let us know, because we do have foam pillows (they are like the tempurpedic type pillows) but we only have a few, so they are based upon availability, but we would love to help you have a better nights rest.
I am glad you enjoyed our cookies in the evening. We have two wonderful ladies that just love baking them and talking with our guest.
Thank you again for staying with us and for taking the time to share your stay with others, I do hope that we will get a chance to see you again.

490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I both read great reviews about this hotel on tripadvisor. Can a midprice-hotel, 15 minutes drive from the the center of STL, really be the best in this town? We chose to stay here partly because we wanted to see what all the fuss was about. We stayed for 2 nights. The first night we got a whirlpool suite. The whirlpool is about twice as wide as a regular tub. It's in the bathroom. The suite is a bigger room than the standard room, but there is no door between the sitting area and the bed. The sink is outside the bathroom. The sitting area has a couch and a desk and chair. The second night, we stayed in a standard room because the whirlpool rooms were not available. The standard room has no separate sitting area, but it has an arm chair, desk, fridge and microwave and the other usual hotel amenities. There is no tub, but a larger than usual shower. In both rooms, the beds are comfortable and the linens and duvet covers were above average. Otherwise, I didn't think the whirlpool suite was significantly better to warrant the extra cost, compared to the standard room. The breakfast was the usual hotel fare, the gym was nice and we had it all to ourselves. We didn't use the pool, or hot tub, but both looked fine. So what's so special about this hotel? Well, the staff seem to really take pride in keeping the place spotless. Everywhere you look, someone is wiping down something. One time I saw 3 people working on what looked like a spill on the carpet in the hallway. The staff seem really friendly. The location felt safe. The beds are comfortable, with extra pillows and blankets in the closet. Everything is really clean. I'm writing in the present tense, because I won't check out till tomorrow. I wanted to write this review before I forgot all the details! I've stayed in a Drury Inn closer to town which was also pretty nice. This feels like a safer part of town. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are a better value than the whirlpool suites.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
First I want to start out by thanking you for taking time out of your schedule to read reviews and write a review. I know that can be very time consuming. Also, thank you for your description of our rooms; it always helps to have someone explain the set up because sometimes pictures just don’t do justice. However, I am sorry that our whirlpool wasn’t quite what you hoped for, but I am glad you enjoyed our standard king room.
I mostly want to thank you for your compliments on our staff. We all take great pride in our jobs and truly love working here. We have been awarded the #1 cleanest Hampton Inn & Suites worldwide for the year of 2012, and we continue to strive to have that be our standard.
As far as the location, I too feel it is a great location. We are practically 15 minutes from most main St. Louis attractions, but far enough out of the city that we don’t really have the same security issues that downtown would. I have grown up in St. Louis and South County is one of my favorite areas to live in. But we also take precautionary action and have security every night to watch the parking lot and hotel, and even police officers on the weekends. We like to be prepared.
Again, thank you for your thoughts, and for staying with us. I hope we will get to see you again sometime in the near future!

Rock Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel back in aug of 2011 for my 21st birthday weekend, this hotel was fairly new, the staff was very exceptional, during check in I was asked why I was in the area I told them for my birthday weekend I woke up the next morning to find a birthday card slipped under the door with birthday wishes from the staff that right there made me fall in love with this hotel and now I stay here everytime I come to the St. Louis area

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. I’m very happy to hear that you enjoyed your birthday card. We love trying to make special days or events even more special, but we love it even more when we know it made someone’s day. Thank you for your dedication to us and making this place your home away from home while in St. Louis. We look forward to seeing you during your next trip.

Your St. Louis home,

De Soto, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here with our 2 young boys in a 2 Queen room. The staff were very helpful and friendly right from the start, making fresh cookies in evening, calling to make sure that everything was satisfactory, and even brushing snow off the car and clearing the windshields early in the morning. The room was very pleasant and spotlessly clean, and the beds very comfortable. The pool was larger than most, sparking clean and they even had a cart full of pool toys available for the kids to play with. Breakfast was great with fresh waffles, sausage, western omlettes, biscuits and gravy, cereal, fruit, variety of breads, juices, etc., all of which were fresh and had not been sitting around. Overall, this was probably one of the nicest Hamptons we have stayed in, and we would definitely return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HamptonI55, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I first want to start out thanking you for taking time out of your schedule to comment on trip advisor, so that others may learn of our hotel. We take great pride in caring for our guest and treating them as our family and giving them a home away from home. I’m so glad to hear that you felt that care during your stay.
I specifically want to thank you for mentioning the specific things you noticed, like your scraped windows, pool toys, and how clean you found our hotel to be. We actually have received the #1 spot for the sparkle award for over a year now, which means Hampton has recognized us as the cleanest Hampton Inn world wide. And with the pool toys, and scraping of windows, we are always looking for new ideas to make your stay more comfortable, which we find the best ideas come from how we would want us and our family treated.
Thank you for becoming part of our family, and I hope we get to see you and your boys again sometime soon.

Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel staff made me look good giving my group the best service possible. They were friendly and wanted to help in any way that they could. They found ways to make our stay better. For example, they had directions to our destination printed for each member of our group.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
HamptonI55, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and booking your group here. Also, thank you for taking out time to write a comment. I am so glad to hear that the directions we had pre printed for your group worked out so well. We try our best to be prepared and be one step ahead of our guest needs, and it’s always nice to hear that we accomplish those goals.

Thank you and I hope we get to see you and the group here in the future.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Rarely does any business deserve this many stars, but this Hampton does. From the amazing Elizabeth checking me in, to the GM, to all the staff....they were amazing. The attitude of the employees here rivals those I have found in Ritz-Carltons. I cannot rave enough about this place, and have recommended it to many people heading to St. Louis. I've stayed in probably 6 other local hotels, and especially for the price, this one wins hands down. My other top hotel would be the Ameristar-St. Charles on the other side of town.
Hampton looks like just another hotel, but from the minute you walk in, you realize it isn't. If you feel like you need extra security if you are woman traveling alone, ask for the secure 4th floor.
I won't stay anywhere else in St. Louis. Use your AAA card for a discount!

Room Tip: 4th floor is accessed by keycard only.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words and ranking on our hotel. We work very hard to give the service that we also feel is deserving of 5 stars, and it is so nice for our employees to hear that our guest also see all of that hard work.
I also want to say thank you for recommending us to others that may be heading our way, hopefully we will get a chance to wow them as well.
I am glad you enjoyed our extra security 4th floor. Even though we are located in a good area of St. Louis, we thought it would be a nice feature to add. It is the same as all of our other floors, you just have to use a key to access that particular floor.
Again, thank you for taking out time in you schedule to write a comment. Hopefully we will get to see you again soon.

Quincy, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Being a woman traveling alone, I was interested in staying in a safe hotel with "open space" since I live in the country. The hotel "fit the bill" and was fresh and clean but, what impressed me were the people. I am a strong proponent of customer service and friendliness I have not seen this kind of service in any store, restaurant, etc... in a long time- they genuinely care about the customer and take pride in their job and hotel. AWESOME!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HamptonI55, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
I know I had the rare opportunity to thank you in person for sharing with others your thoughts about our hotel, but I wanted to say again how happy I am that you felt that our customer service is something to share. That’s why all of us working here are in this business. We love people, and we love to make them happy.

I look forward to your next visit with us, and I hope all is well with you.

Your home away from home,

(314) 894-1900

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55? Share your experiences!