“Valentine meal. The worse service i have ever experienced” 2 of 5 stars

+44 118 979 1666
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Miltons Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 107 Restaurants in Wokingham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Miltons is an Award-Winning One Rosette restaurant housed in a stunning converted 17th Century barn, with it's own secluded courtyard garden. Specialised in modern British cuisine with locally sourced food and seasonally changing menu.
Reading, United Kingdom
“Valentine meal. The worse service i have ever experienced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Miltons has long been my favourite restaurant and we always choose it to celebrate special occasions and anniversaries. Last night my partner surprised me by booking us into Miltons for the Valentine dinner. We had been last year and it was amazing. Our booking was for 8.15 pm. We arrived at 8.10 and were told that we would be shown to our table shortly. A number or staff members milled backwards and forwards around the bar and it was clear, after some bobbing and weaving, that we were getting in the way of the flow of traffic between the bar and the restaurant so we sat in the lounge area. Time ticked on and as no-one had shown us to our table or offered to take a drinks order, my partner went to the bar ordered drinks. By 8.30 when no-one had seated us, explained the delay or even acknowledged our presence, I asked a waiter whether our table was ready. He called a waitress who offered no explanation or apology for the delay, took us to our table and promptly disappeared. After 20 minutes, despite a number of staff members passing us a dozen time, I had to call a waitress over to ask if there was any chance of having our order taken. She seemed quite put out that we had not had the foresight to bring a menu with us from the bar and showed no regard for the fact that we had been waiting for almost an hour, just to be noticed in the restaurant. We placed our order and the starters were divine. My faith in Miltons being restored by the quality of the food, only to be dashed when the waiter brought the second dish, the sorbet to the table fighting to find a space to set it down, as no-one had cleared the now congealing starter dishes that we had long since finished with.

The sorbet was lovely, well.. the bit I was able to eat anyway! The spoons supplied with the sorbet, were too wide for the glass, so I was only able to eat the top 2/3rd. We had heard a waitress explaining the difficulty of the oversized spoons to a senior staff member, whilst we were waiting in the bar, but she seemed totally disinterested.

When the main course came, it was outstanding as was the dessert and Miltons was back on track. However our empty dessert plates were left in front of us for a good 20 minutes after we had eaten with no interest shown in clearing our table. We expected coffee and petit fours as the next course in the menu. Again, staff who appear to have no peripheral vision milled backwards and forwards repeatedly between the kitchen and bar, showing no interest in clearing our table or supplying the next course. The excessive heat from the radiator adding to my discomfort, we moved to the lounge area in the hope that we would get noticed and asked to have our coffee there. It took a further 20 minutes or so for it to arrive and no petit fours. And to add insult to injury, we were charged for the coffee, which was meant to be part of the meal that we had paid for in advance. We paid for the drinks and coffee and left without anyone noticing that we had not received our petit fours or the valentine gift that other diners seemed to have received at the end of the meal. Disappointed Miltons! The food is awesome, the ambience is second to none, but please please, sort out your service.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
MauriceStanley, Owner at Miltons Restaurant, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
There is no useful response to make to this evidently justified complaint. We got it wrong that night, and it was such a bad night to get so wrong. Every other corner of the business was full that night and Miltons was neglected and we suffered accordingly. We will seek to demonstrate that this particular evening was not a reflection on our customary quality of service.
I can only seek solace in the observations about the quality of the food and the comments about the ambience. We have learnt a very uncomfortable lesson from this particular evening.
I make no excuse for offering the same response to the other bad review we received that evening and will be in touch with all the guests.
Maurice Monk

Southern England
“Not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

An expensive experience at £6 odd for a smallish glass of wine.There were 13 of us, some were quite happy but one couple who chose steak said it was the worst steak they had ever had and it was £20 plus (although they were not charged for it after complaining).
My salmon was very average, small with a meager serving of veg and my wife's risotto should have been called savory rice.
Can't think of much nice to say except the staff tried hard.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Perfect evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Whilst staying at Cantley House Hotel with friends to celebrate my 21st birthday, we used Milton's 3 times. Afternoon tea was lovely, a great selection of sandwiches and cakes and endless pots of tea. In the evening we ate off the A la carte menu, I chose the duo of pork which was gorgeous. My friends had various things from the guinea fowl to sea bass, and all really enjoyed their food. Desserts were amazing (I had the flaming creme brulee which was one of the best brulees I have ever had!) Breakfast the following morning was once again of a high standard and freshly cooked. Service was excellent throughout our stay- all of the staff were professional but friendly and made us feel very welcome. A special mention to the young lady who looked after us on the Friday evening who couldn't do enough for us.

“Family Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We're getting married here in September and there was a wedding fair on in the hotel so we thought it would be an excellent opportunity to revisit the venue, show the parents and try out the food.
Lunch is 2 courses for 17.95 which was very reasonable when i saw the size of the portions. I had roast beef...3 big roasties, 2-3 thick cuts of juicy beef with lots of veg and new potatoes on the side. Delicous! The rest of the family went for roast pork which I tried...all very yum. We all went puds...sticky toffee pudding with ice cream...once again a decent portion.
Service was good too...all in all, v happy with the food and look forward to our menu tasting.

Wokingham, England, United Kingdom
“Slow”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Having visited this restaurant at Easter 2013 I decided to book a table for Sunday lunch with my parents thinking how lovely it was last time. However this time was a different story. The experience began badly when my booking wash't showing on the computer so we had to wait while one of the waitresses set a table for us. We placed our order and went on to wait 40 minutes for our meal to arrive. There was one other table of two diners in the restaurant at this time so it was not very busy. When we finished our main course a waitress attended the table asking if we would like to see the dessert menu and proceeded to take two of our plates away then disappeared only to reappear behind the bar sorting out the bill of another table then preparing what seemed to be coffee while we continued to wait for our table to be cleared and to be given the dessert menu. It was only when my partner approached the bar area that the waitress cleared our table and we placed our order for dessert. We then went onto wait a further 20 minutes for our desserts to arrive - two cheesecake, an orange chocolate pot and two sticky toffee puddings. Sadly the sticky toffee pudding was dry and tasteless and when this was pointed out the waitress she did not place these two items on the bill. Overall a disappointing experience and it is clear that the quality has dropped since our visit at Easter.

• Visited December 2013