“Wonderful relaxing venue & excellent food” 5 of 5 stars

Cantley House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milton Road, Wokingham RG405QG, England   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Wokingham
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Wonderful relaxing venue & excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Having stayed last year my husband & I decided to return again this year for a weekend break and very pleased that we did. Our room could not have been better very comfortable & clean. The food was excellent a great improvement on last year I believe this is due to a new head chef. We started with afternoon tea which was to die for, fresh strawberries which went down well with the warm scones & cream. The 3 tiers of home baked cakes were delicious also. The evening meal was excellent as was the service. Our very nice waiter James was very attentive and professional. Overall the food is of high quality and very tasty we would also recommend the huge breakfast which set us up very well for the day! All in all would highly recommend this hotel for the food, professional friendly service and relaxing atmosphere. Will definately be returning.

Room Tip: South facing room with terrace overlooking lovely garden, sunny & quiete
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Cantley House proved to be the perfect venue for our daughter's Wedding last weekend: well-organised, relaxed, welcoming, intimate, and atmospheric - and they even ordered wonderful weather for us so that we could use the lovely gardens!

Our wedding co-ordinator at the hotel was always helpful and never rushed during the planning and preparations, and various of her colleagues were equally helpful on our ad hoc visits to the hotel to ask questions and remind ourselves of room layouts.

The manager and staff couldn't do enough for us on the day itself. They prepared our function rooms beautifully, placing all our decorations just as we wanted them, and then moving them all to decorate our evening reception later in the day. Their discrete, helpful and efficient directions and service before the ceremony, at the drinks reception and during the Wedding breakfast and evening party made everyone feel relaxed and very welcome. And the following morning we found everything neatly and carefully collected together for us to take away.

The function rooms and general layout all contributed to the intimate and friendly feeling of the Wedding. The honeymoon suite was lovely and the room provided of the bridal party preparations in the morning was huge. Guest rooms were also very good, even where there had been late bookings.

All the food was extremely good.The sandwich lunch that we ordered for the bridal party before the ceremony was very tasty, and the fruit platter was a positive work of art! The wedding breakfast and evening buffet were both excellent, as were all the wines. Breakfast next morning was also very good. The hotel also provided tasty and well-thought-out menu alternatives for our guests with special dietary needs.

Cantley House and its staff gave us a really memorable day and our guests have all given us great feedback. We would definitely recommend the hotel to any other families who want a well- organised, relaxed, intimate and special wedding day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Boston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have just returned from a 1 night stay at this hotel that was supposed to be a birthday treat for my elderly dissabled mother. When i booked the over the phone weeks ago, i booked a suite for my mother, and a four poster room for myself and wife, and specified they must be next to each other because we need to keep a check on my mother, wich is what we were told we would have and even got a confirmation email to verify, but when we checked in they had give our rooms to someone else and we had to have what was available at the time., the manager came and he couldn't exsplain what had happend. we were so annoyed as we had travelled along way and the suite was a treat for my mother. We were also not told when we booked that the night we booked there was a wedding reception on, it was so noisy and disruptive to other guests. Breakfast next morning. although to be fair the cooked part was ok, the continental part looked very poor, and the staff in there just couldn't cope with anymore than about 10 guests in there at once, people were waitng ages to get served, tables were left not being cleared from previos guests and new guests were being told to just sit at them and wait, how disgusting!!. Summary, could be a nice hotel, just badly run, and badly managed, if its a nice relaxing trouble free break your after........DON'T GO HERE!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GenmgrCHH, General Manager at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Mr P.
We made an error on your booking; there is no excuse for this. I would like to say it will never happen again but in truth can only say that we will learn from this and will do everything we can to prevent such human errors in the future.
I know the problem was brought to my attention and felt and indeed believed, that the alternative arrangement of four poster suite and executive room was more than acceptable. I know that a discount together with other complimentary items is not only crude and no real answer to poor performance but I was under the impression that this was the required response.. Everybody in the hotel had been primed after your arrival to accommodate your every wish and I was relieved when you lead me to believe that all was well.
In an extremely busy breakfast we believe we served you properly and quickly and I am sorry if you saw it differently.
I am sorry that there was disruption caused by other parties but was relieved that we received no other complaints that evening or the following morning. We had and always do monitor noise levels recognising the conflicting needs of party goers and those wishing to sleep. In general the trouble we took with design and build quality originally and then management at the time has kept such complaints at a minimum though we will learn from your comments and be even more vigilant in the future. We will always take such bookings and have arranged the hotel so that we do not cause this conflict or disappointment.
I feel that it was right to offer you no more discount following your request on Sunday morning most especially having been so closely involved with every issue once I was made aware of our original error.
The reference to Faulty Towers is of course amusing but when you do care as much as I do it comes across as unreasonable at best, and at times deeply upsetting.

I am sorry to have disappointed you and thank you for the opportunity for us to learn from your stay
Frank Postel ,General Manager
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We arrived in the midst of absolutely hideous, brutally cold weather to find the hotel warm in the public areas but absolutely FREEZING in our room! We asked to be placed in another (warmer) room - it took a little juggling but the staff were able to do it!

The hotel itself is lovely with beautiful grounds. there is a nice restaurant, which is very cozy and a good place to have a meal or tea. Both the rooms we had were well-appointed and spacious.

It's a shame we weren't there in summer because I'm sure it is gorgeous there then. All the same, we got a very warm welcome and good service from the staff. Wedding butler David deserves a shout-out for being so wonderfully efficient and gracious during our friends' event!

This is a hotel that is on the outskirts of town, so it is not really convenient to the Wokingham train station and to other town services and shops except by taxi or your own car. It's about a half-hour walk. If you stay here, make sure you have everything you need before arriving to avoid having to take a taxi or drive into town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Rickmansworth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We were given a voucher for this hotel as a Christmas present and were looking forward to our stay. Our allotted room (Room 33) was dark, dingy and quite depressing. The net curtains were torn and one of the chairs was very stained and worn and the bed lumpy. There were dirty fiingermarks around the light switches (no excuse for this). When we telephoned to book our stay we were asked if we wanted to "upgrade" which we did. I hate to think what we would have got if we hadn't. On a positive note our meals in the restaurant were enjoyable and the staff pleasant and helpful. Such a shame that the room was so poor.

Room Tip: Avoid "deals" and pay full price for a decent room. Beware of upgrades and room 33.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

This is gonna be a short and succinct one as I have got behind with my reviews.
The hotel is part of the Bespoke group.
The receptionist was very friendly and welcoming, big smile!
The rooms( or at least some of them) are reached by a short walk down a covered walkway.
The rooms are spacious and well appointed( mine had a 4poster bed),, but the carpet did look very tired with stains and marks quite obvious.
All the mod cons are provided, tea coffee, free wifi etc.
Had room service- very prompt, served piping hot and the mushroom risotto was fantastic.
Slept like a log to be then further indulged by a nice hot breakfast.

If the carpet had been in better shape, I would have given 5 stars. It didn't really hamper my stay and I would have no problem going back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MauriceStanley, Owner at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
I am so sorry about the carpet - sad that we lost "points" - promise the marks were fresh - and now gone.

On a small point, but one important to us, we are actually independent though very pleased and proud to be affiliated and supported by Bespoke.

I am pleased that otherwise you enjoyed your stay and I hope we might see you again .

Regards

Maurice Monk
"MD and holder of overdraft!"
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Well I really don't know where to start, we had our wedding reception at cantley house hotel on the 15th of march, and it was just perfect, amazing and beautiful and that is down to everyone that works there, every single one of you made our day perfect!!!!!! It really was a dream day, we really can not thank you enough for making our day so beautiful, the honeymoon suite was out of this world, breakfast was brilliant and the wedding breakfast was just scrummy all our guest was really happy with everything and we have had so many beautiful comments about the hotel! Thank you all so much for the most amazing memories which we will cherish forever, from the new Mr & Mrs harvey x
I would highly recommend any couple organizing a wedding to have it at cantley house hotel, the wedding coordinators are fantastic and made our day run so smooth and perfect, it really was a dream day. Thank you, thank you, thank you

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cantley House Hotel? Share your experiences!