“Our room was shabby and tired” 2 of 5 stars

Cantley House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milton Road, Wokingham RG405QG, England   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Wokingham
Rickmansworth
“Our room was shabby and tired”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We were given a voucher for this hotel as a Christmas present and were looking forward to our stay. Our allotted room (Room 33) was dark, dingy and quite depressing. The net curtains were torn and one of the chairs was very stained and worn and the bed lumpy. There were dirty fiingermarks around the light switches (no excuse for this). When we telephoned to book our stay we were asked if we wanted to "upgrade" which we did. I hate to think what we would have got if we hadn't. On a positive note our meals in the restaurant were enjoyable and the staff pleasant and helpful. Such a shame that the room was so poor.

Room Tip: Avoid "deals" and pay full price for a decent room. Beware of upgrades and room 33.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

This is gonna be a short and succinct one as I have got behind with my reviews.
The hotel is part of the Bespoke group.
The receptionist was very friendly and welcoming, big smile!
The rooms( or at least some of them) are reached by a short walk down a covered walkway.
The rooms are spacious and well appointed( mine had a 4poster bed),, but the carpet did look very tired with stains and marks quite obvious.
All the mod cons are provided, tea coffee, free wifi etc.
Had room service- very prompt, served piping hot and the mushroom risotto was fantastic.
Slept like a log to be then further indulged by a nice hot breakfast.

If the carpet had been in better shape, I would have given 5 stars. It didn't really hamper my stay and I would have no problem going back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MauriceStanley, Owner at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
I am so sorry about the carpet - sad that we lost "points" - promise the marks were fresh - and now gone.

On a small point, but one important to us, we are actually independent though very pleased and proud to be affiliated and supported by Bespoke.

I am pleased that otherwise you enjoyed your stay and I hope we might see you again .

Regards

Maurice Monk
"MD and holder of overdraft!"
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Well I really don't know where to start, we had our wedding reception at cantley house hotel on the 15th of march, and it was just perfect, amazing and beautiful and that is down to everyone that works there, every single one of you made our day perfect!!!!!! It really was a dream day, we really can not thank you enough for making our day so beautiful, the honeymoon suite was out of this world, breakfast was brilliant and the wedding breakfast was just scrummy all our guest was really happy with everything and we have had so many beautiful comments about the hotel! Thank you all so much for the most amazing memories which we will cherish forever, from the new Mr & Mrs harvey x
I would highly recommend any couple organizing a wedding to have it at cantley house hotel, the wedding coordinators are fantastic and made our day run so smooth and perfect, it really was a dream day. Thank you, thank you, thank you

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

What makes a good hotel? Clean and well kept rooms? Great location? Excellent food? Of course, and these are all straight forward to deliver. But it's the service that always sticks in my mind. The warm friendly greeting; helping my family to our room when we have too many bags; playing with my ever inquisitive toddler.
It was my first time staying at Cantly House hotel and I would highly recommend it as an excellent family and business hotel, close to the town and with lovely rooms. Double thumbs up, I will be back!

• Stayed March 2013
GenmgrCHH, General Manager at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear GemJay,
We thank you most sincerely for your glorious review of our hotel. It is great to read such positive comments and I know our staff get a great buzz from your feedback. We look forward to welcoming back to Cantley House in the not too distant future.
Frank Postel, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here whilst attending a function and must say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We originally booked on Booking.Com but realised price didn't include the breakfast at £15 per head so cancelled and booked directly with the hotel for £3 more per room with breakfast. When we arrived at hotel we found we had been upgraded to an executive room which had a lovely view of the golf course. Breakfast was really good and waiting staff were extremely friendly. All in all a really good experience

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Lovely lovely lovely
Very nice hotel, staff helpful, food lovely,
Would go there again . It was my partners Birthday and he enjoyed it very much, I arranged a massage for him with the beauty therapist resident in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
GenmgrCHH, General Manager at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your response. We are pleased that you and your partner enjoyed his birthday break here at the Cantley House Hotel and look forward to welcoming you in the near future again. Frank Postel ,General Manager.
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here twice before and had a noisy room - something nesting in the attic. I couldn't believe it. I said "hang about - that’s not for Terry Tibbs". I gave them another chance and stayed again last week. I arrived and parked the Roller under a tree outside reception. Next morning I got up, had a wash, went down to breakfast, checked out and left. When I got outside there it was... I looked down... I couldn’t believe it! Terry's Roller covered in bird doings. Not a little bit... it looked like an Albatross had eaten three curries the night before and turned himself inside out on the Roller. I couldn't believe it. I was too angry to complain so I won’t stay there again. That’s why they call me Terry Tibbs.

Much Love

Thanks and goodnight.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GenmgrCHH, General Manager at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments about your recent two stays here at the hotel.
Assuming that your second stay has been a better than the first , it is regrettable that
an element from mother nature that we cannot control [( habits of) the bird population],
has angered you so much that you will in future refrain from staying with us . Some protected trees on our site cannot be cut down to avoid recurrence of this unfortunate incident.We offer a different range of car parking facilities not overshadowed by trees. We hope to welcome you back nevertheless on a future occasion, when I hope you will enjoy our hospitality in every aspect.
General manager 8.3.13

Been to Cantley House Hotel? Share your experiences!