“Good location.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cobham
Winsford, United Kingdom
“Good location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Just got back from the Hilton, stayed for 4 nights. Very nice reception area, staff are very friendly. Breakfast was excellent, I was worried that by being buffet it would not be hot, but all the food was very hot and a good choice except there were no prunes! The restaurant is a bit hot for me in the mornings. Room was nice, very clean. My main problem was with housekeeping. We were on the top floor end room. After coming back from Thorpe park at 5pm we got to our room and it had not been cleaned. We had to call housekeeping who told us they were busy but a house keeper was there within 10 minutes. on Thursday the room was not serviced until about 6pm. I think this lets the Hilton down, your room should be serviced for when you return to it in the afternoon and therefore more staff are required. The pool is very small and once you have say, 6 children in there, there is not much room. Also one morning at breakfast a family of 4 came in (mother & 3 children) dressed in their pj's. I found this disgusting and they should have been told to leave and returned dressed. I cannot believe the staff let them in!

However location good for all theme parks which i why we chose the Hilton

Room Tip: Wi-fi in rooms is expensive, bar is expensive. Not good if you want to relax in Leisure facilities...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dean_Rigby_Hilton, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Dear lalady2212

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay here at the Hilton Cobham. I am delighted that overall you had an enjoyable stay and I have shared your kind feedback with my team.
Due to the high occupancy over the last couple of weeks we have experienced some delays in the servicing of the bedrooms and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Thank you once again for your very constructive feedback and I do hope that the positives from your stay out way the negatives and we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Cobham again soon.

Dean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Got a super deal staying here at £60 per night....long winding well kept drive and grounds on approach... Lots of car parking... Lovely reception area which smelt lovely! (yup you heard right! Lol) Chap on reception very helpful and friendly. I had emailed the hotel prior to arrival just to ask that out room had a nice view if possible as it was a special occasion and surprise stay for hubby.... The following day I recieved a few missed calls from the guest relations manager who I never actually got round to speaking to through no fault of hers but as I was at work.... But she left me messages saying my request was acknowledged and if I needed anything else to contact her direct via her mobile... A nice personal touch. Our room was perfect... A balcony out onto some beautiful views and a bottle of wine and a card.... How very thoughtful for such a large hotel!!! We were more than happy with the room I'm sure some guests expect a hotel to gut and re paint a room after every stay for it to be their degree of perfect lol. Anyway we went down to dinner at the Mediterranean Grill and on our way the chap on reception passed us in the corridor and enquired as to if everything was ok with our room.... Great customer care. I'll review the grill elsewhere.... But as a hotel this place was great.... Very close to motorway link but you would never know... Surrounded by green and trees... No noise problems on our stay at all.... Give it a go you won't be disappointed

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Hikingwarrior

Thank you so much for posting such a great review following your recent stay. I am delighted you had an enjoyable time and I have shared your great feedback with the team.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

A nice property surrounded by a field (which also included lots and lots of bunnies – of which I will come onto later) together with a bit of a wood in it - even though it is deceptively close to the M25 which in turn, made it extremely convenient and affordable for me and my son the reach the Windsor attractions, this does feel like you are in the Countryside – we liked that and a good start to our break!

The room was of a good and comfortable standard and is nice and quiet. The Bar looks – well like a traditional bar - which is reassuring when you just want a drink. The Breakfast facilities are good and the food wide ranging and edible. My son loved the surrounding field (as well as trying to catch the bunnies - without success mind!) and simply adored the giant chess set which, in turn, has triggered his interest in the subject and now 'knows' this Hotel by this – which cannot be bad!? All detail that helps and adds to the overall experience.

Negatives – a nice Country feel Hotel that in its own right you would think …'lovely….come back here at some time but probably never will’ it doesn’t quite have the Hilton feel or brand to it and so seems to let you down without really saying or being able to explain why? For this and this alone I would have rated it a 3* in my review however…..and this is the important bit;

The main positives and so what has earned it a well deserved 5*, was the effort and kindness that Ben (F&B Manager) and Brad on Reception went to in order to make me and my Sons 6th Birthday simply Brilliant! Casually mentioning the reason for our stay - their resulting actions were completely unsolicited but highly appreciated, so much so (and we are very picky and choosey on where we stay especially on special occasions) we would definitely stay again. For me, this is the Brand that I am searching for and Customer Service that sets places apart from others. Their collective efforts simply shone through – if you don’t believe me – take a look at the picture – never asked for and delivered to the room – the effort, detail and effect was tremendous & delicous.

If Hilton Senior Managers do indeed read this, we cannot praise these individuals enough and it is for this reason and this reason alone that I give this a 5Star review, as they truly represent and reflect the Brand that I expect and what has certainly set this Hotel apart from everywhere else that we have stayed (and I am a Hilton Diamond Member). I hope internally, this sentiment will be acknowledged and that they truly receive the recognition that they deserve.
See you either at Christmas and/or his 7th!!
Sincerely
Daddy Steve and Charlie

Dear steveB

I was absolutely delighted to read your fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

Here at Cobham we pride ourselves on our high level of customer service and I am thrilled this was demonstrated to you during your stay and I have shared this great review with Ben, Brad and the rest of the team.

It would be lovely to welcome you and your Family back at Christmas and would love to meet you personally.

Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback and I hope you all enjoy the rest of the summer.

Warmest regards

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Now, on the great scales of life everything must balance - and so it is the case at the Hilton Cobham. It felt a bit like good experiences were offset by a let down. It could be so much better with better management and more attention to detail, and a drastic overhaul of the housekeeping department, but I'll come onto that in a minute.

Firstly, the positives - the staff were all really friendly during my stay. This is a really nice property, set in pleasant woodland and grounds, surprisingly peaceful given that it's within the M25. The room was well presented and had everything you'd need. The on-site gym is well equipped, and there's a good pool with hot tub. Food is excellent - had a nice meal in the bar & restaurant, and the breakfast is excellent with a fantastic range of choices to suit all diets and palates. Garden has bowls, giant chess, tennis courts & table tennis if the weather permits.

Now the other side of those scales. In-room Wifi £15 a day - daylight robbery! However, my main complaint is with housekeeping. I can't fault the cleanliness of the room but the organisation is a shambles. I had asked for a robe and slippers, which I had to chase up three times until they arrived during the afternoon of the following day. During my stay, my room was not serviced until 4:30pm, so I didn't feel I could relax or settle down to work in the room during the day. The corridors were full of piles of towels & housekeeping trolleys until at least 6pm. One of the housekeeping staff was in receipt of a severe telling off about rooms that had not been finished in full earshot of guests. And on my last day, they knocked on my door at 10:30am despite the 'Do Not Disturb' sign I'd left out. Taken as a whole, simply not acceptable in a four star Hilton hotel where you are paying for quality.

The windows in the rooms open, which gets top marks from me as I'm not a fan of air conditioning - however, the hotel plays "lift/elevator" music outside the main entrance (why - who's listening?) which I had to ask to be switched off at 1:30am because I could hear it in my room. Ask for a room that does not overlook the car park for a quieter stay.

Confirm special requests in advance, as mine were not met neither were those of some other guests at the front desk.

So to sum up- not a bad experience, but nothing special either. Nice rooms & facilities, friendly staff, but missing the usual quality & attention to detail that comes with the Hilton name.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook the car park. Confirm special requests in advance by phone.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Steve P

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review following your recent stay with us. Your constructive feedback is extremely valuable to me and I can see that on this occasion we have missed some of the attention to detail that we normally pride ourselves on here at the Hilton Cobham.
Thank you for your great feedback regarding your dining experience in both the lounge bar and restaurant and I am also delighted you took advantage of our leisure facilities.
I must apologise for the Housekeeping issues you experienced and please be assured remedial action has been taken and shared with my Housekeeping team and my Head Housekeeper would like to share in my apologies. Please be assured this is not the normal standard we pride ourselves on here at Cobham.
I appreciate that not all aspects of your stay were acceptable however I do hope that the positives somewhat out way the negatives and that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

The hotel was excellent - we stayed overnight having attended the wedding of our nephew at Painshill Park which was very close by. The staff were efficient and friendly and the double room we were given was clean and well-equipped. The location was very convenient for the M25 but the beautiful grounds made you think you could have been in the heart of the country. Fantastic breakfast buffet. My only criticism is that the room rate of £95 was somewhat high.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear morts32

Thank you for posting a great review following your stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us here in Cobham and you found us a convenient location for the Wedding you were attending.
Thank you for your great feedback regarding breakfast which has been shared with the team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon.
Enjoy the rest of the summer.
Hamburg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I stayed longer period in Hilton Cobham hotel and it didn't fulfill my expectations that i had for Hilton hotels.
The cleaning service wasn't the best (changing the linnen on two weeks if you request only, the same with the vacuum cleaning). The window in the room was not closing properly as well.
The most annoying thing was the fire alarm which while i was staying it was activated 3 times, not counting the testing of the fire alarm which was really disturbing and without previous announcement.
Also hygiene in the dining room wasn't the best, because they didn't clean the dining table after previous usage which means you need to step on the bread crumbs and put your plate on wet table.
Definitely not future choice again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Passo123
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Your feedback
With regards to the fire alarm, this is tested on a weekly basis, on the other 2 occasions the alarm sounded we carried out a full evacuation whilst we investigated the cause. Whilst I appreciate the inconvenience caused the safety of our guests and staff is our priority therefore the fire evacuation procedure was carried out.
I appreciate that not all aspects of your stay were acceptable however whilst I cannot turn back the clock on this stay I will ensure that on your next visit to the hotel you leave feeling far happier with the experience.
Dean

Travelers are raving about these Cobham hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

The reception staff were very friendly.
The rooms, however:
We had booked 3 rooms, one of which was on the ground floor next to reception, at the front of the hotel. this one we had to ask if we could change, the room smelt as if someone had been smoking in it and one of the towels was marked. The reception staff did agree to change this room for us. One of the rooms was also at the front of the hotel, overlooking the car park. I would recommend that you request a room at the back of the hotel as it should be a little quieter.
One of the towels in the room was marked with lipstick. When we requested clean towels and some more tea it took over half an hour for housekeeping to come up to the room.
We did arrive late at the hotel and found that the bar was already closed and we were advised that we would not be able to get a drink, however, we did see other guests in the lobby with drinks!!.
The hotel is rather noisy during the night with guests leaving their rooms.
Overall the room was comfortable however with just a little more attention to detail we would have given the good score.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the carpark and on the upper floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dean_Rigby_Hilton, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Jo L
I am delighted to read that you found the room comfortable and thank you for your kind comments regarding my Reception team.
Thank you once again for your very valuable feedback I can assure you that we will take your comments on board to further enhance our future guest’s experience.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon and hope I have the opportunity to meet you personally next time you stay.
Dean

Been to Hilton Cobham? Share your experiences!