“Escape Spa - make sure you don't get recaptured!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cobham
Hersham
“Escape Spa - make sure you don't get recaptured!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I bought a Travel Zoo voucher for a day at the Escape Spa with a friend - we were tempted by the treatments and the use of the Hotel's leisure and sports facilities. We were advised not to arrive before midday as the hotel pool had swimming lessons in it all morning. The Spa consisted of a room with half a dozen recliners and a single treatment room for two guests. As it was at the other end of the hotel than the swimming pool, sauna etc. it was totally impractical to go from one to the other without getting dressed, even if they had provided robes and slippers (which unlike all other spas they didn't) because this would have meant walking through the hotel's main reception. The door to the relaxation room was full length glass and as it was opposite guest rooms, people kept peering in and fire doors were constantly slamming making the whole experience the opposite of relaxing.

The spa itself was very disappointing - the massage was nowhere near as good as others I have had - in fact it was the worst and my companion agreed with my assessment. The treatment room was a double room and although my friend and I didn't really mind sharing we didn't really get given any other option. Both the rest area and the treatment room were well below the standard of cleanliness I would expect with dirty floors, dirty glass surfaces and fleeces on the rest beds rather than towels which were clearly not changed between clients. When we were left in the treatment room to undress there was someone else's clothing still lying on the windowsill and used cosmetic items on the side tables. The person giving me my treatments had badly applied and badly chipped toenail varnish and old worn out flip flops - if you are going to use a massage table with a cut out section for the face you should make sure that what the client can see through the hole is clean and well groomed. There did not appear to be any showering facilities in the spa area (at least we were not offered any).

I would certainly not go back - it's an absolute minimum that a spa should be clean and relaxing and this was neither.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
StephaneWeit, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to the hotel and to our Franchise partner the Escape Spa. I will ensure that your comments regarding your SPA experience and the team at the Escape are passed on to the Manager of the Franchise company and I must apologise on their behalf that you left the hotel feeling less than satisfied.
The SPA has only recently opened here at Cobham so I know feedback such as this is very important to them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel is a bit off the beaten track - which is a good thing as far as I am concerned - but travelers should be aware there is nothing here but the Hilton. The room was very comfortable and much larger than expected and had everything needed for an easy/relaxing nights rest. Being a HHonors Gold member we were provided with free internet access which worked fine.
I cannot say much for the bar staff. One of our party ordered a brandy when we returned from a nice dinner - it was served in an ordinary glass - no brandy snifter and no explanation for the glass. This was unfortunate as there were others all around who had proper snifters, curious.
Breakfast was buffet, but very good and the garden setting is very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building 100's or 200's are in the main building. Rooms in the 400's...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay.

I am delighted that you had a comfortable and relaxing time and I have shared your feedback with the team.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the service of your brandy, this has highlighted a training need that has now been addressed and again my apologies.

Thank you once again for writing a review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Cobham again soon.
Surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had a voucher for the Hilton cobham spa day on groupon. We traveled quite far and we were all really excited. We left disappointed and stressed. The hotel itself is lovely but it almost has two divisions of the modern and the not so modern..the grounds were lovely as we're the reception staff. The lunch was ok but we had to choose of a set menu you so not much choice, I also had to order twice as they were out of 2 dishes I wanted so I ended up sharing pizza with my friend. The treatments were ok and standard there is no wow factor and I wouldn't call it a spa, the name is very misleading. After my treatment I was taken straight downstairs to pay for my extra hot stones, I didn't even get time to relax after my massage and facial!! All was ok until the lady on reception told me to go on tripadvisor and rate them!! Which I found very cheeky and quite rude, especially after a pretty disappointing day.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
StephaneWeit, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to the hotel and to our Franchise partner the Escape Spa. I’m really pleased that you liked the hotel and Thank you for your positive comments regarding my reception team, I will ensure that they receive your valuable feedback. Im sorry that your lunch experience was not as good as it could have been, I have discussed your feedback with my head chef to ensure that other valuable guests do not have the same experience as you. I will ensure that your comments regarding your SPA treatments and the team at the Escape are passed on to the Manager of the Franchise company and I must apologise on their behalf that you left the hotel feeling less than satisfied. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Cobham in the future should the occasion arise and would love to meet you in person next time you are here.

Travelers are raving about these Cobham hotels

London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have been here a few times and I just wanted to say how wonderful the staff were especially Rhoendra the receptionist, we stayed over the weekend in room 104 which has a lovely view over the grounds. The room has just recently been refurbished and looks really nice, I have been told that all the rooms are being refurbished to this level.
The restuarant is very nice and the pool is not huge but very clean and enjoyable

Room Tip: room 104 is great
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
StephaneWeit, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
I was delighted to read your feedback today. We have recently carried out a lot of work on the grounds with the planting of vines and apple trees and also in the introduction of Bees so to receive feedback such as this is wonderful.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
devon england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Nice pleasant friendly staff, clean tidy room, comfy beds, lovely food, garden to sit in, nice pool if a little small, boiling hot tub :) Sauna ,steam room. All the things you would expect from a Hilton.
We had a suite and although it wasn't what i would call spacious, it was fine it also had a balcony so you could sit outside if you wished. Would really recommend and we will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for this great feedback. I am delighted that you had a great stay and I have shared all your kind comments with the team.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.
Northwich, Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel is the typical Hilton business traveller hotel, but that suited mne just fine. After a long day working and travelling in appalling travel conditions (floods, rain, rain, floods, delays, rain...) all I wanted was a comfortable room, with room service and a TV. That was what I got.

I did have a look around the bar, and that seemed very pleasant and relaxed. Room service was the usual fare, but it was speeedy. I had, and can recommend, the steak and kidney pudding.

Perhaps it was because I was so tired, or because the bed was so comfy that I slept like a log right through to my alarm. That's a bit unusual for me in hotels for the first or only night. The hotel was very quiet, I don't mean not busy, but actually quiet and relaxing.

The breakfast was morre than adequate. Plenty of cooked and cold choices, all fresh and replaced regularly. But then again, I don't thaink that I've been to Hilton yet where I have been let down by the breakfast.

I didn't use the gym, but I did overhear some users having a bit of a moan about it being crowded, small and hot.

One tip, if you are booking a taxi booki it with plenty of time and the night before. My taxi was well late and I ended up sharing with a couple of lads on their way to Heathrow. There were lot's of disgruntled passengers milling about. I was told by an experienced user of the taxis that this was usual and he books his taxi 20 minutes before he actually needs it. I know that this is beyond the control of the hotel, but just beware.

I was suitably impressed, and if I'm on business down that way again I will certainly try to get in the Hilton again. It's not Hilton chic and I would think twice about it for pleasure, but it is more than functional and comfortable for the business traveller.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
StephaneWeit, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at the Hilton Cobham and was thrilled that you found our rooms to be modern, clean and comfortable and that you had a good nights sleep.

I am sorry to read about the taxis and we will be addressing this with our Front Office team and the taxi company we use.

I am very delighted to read that you will be joining us again soon so thank you again for the valuable feedback, my team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Cobham.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a suite and just as well, because it was so small, I dread to think what size the standard rooms are! Other than the size, the room was really nice and modern, nice bathroom with separate shower cubicle, bed comfy enough and massive (probably why the room felt so small). Breakfast was nice - was impressed at how fresh the bread was. The decor in the hallways and around the hotel is quite dated but the wellness centre (gym + small pool + jacuzzi/sauna/steam room) was nice - quite small but we had the place to ourselves most of the time. The really bad part was the room service, I expected the hefty bill but definitely did not expect the poor quality! My club sandwich was so dry, I had to cover in salt and ketchup to be able to eat it! Hubby's burger just OK, apple crumble also very dry and unappetising (and salt+ketchup would have been no use!), the chips were nice though.
Staff very helpful and friendly
So in summary, good hotel for a night when the location is convenient but not a destination for a romantic weekend or anything like that. And avoid room service at all costs!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
StephaneWeit, General Manager at Hilton Cobham, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Following your recent stay here at Cobham I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. Thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with the team.
I was very dissappointed to read about your room service experience. I have shared your comments with our Head Chef and remedial action with be taken and shared with the Kitchen team and please again accept our apologies.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon and thank you once again for your feedback.

Been to Hilton Cobham? Share your experiences!