“Never again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Corby
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We had a 'girls night in' break that started off well with the massages but then went from bad to worse. Firstly I got the wrong starter. Then friend got the wrong main. 2 of us ordered steak whuh was still raw. Had to wait over 20 minutes for a jug of water. Never in all the hotels I've stayed at ever met such rude staff. We were told they were short staffed but the was about 4 waitresses all giggling and messing around and less than a handful of people dining in the restaurant. Then to top it off the waitor practically threw the cutlery at us. Then when we got home they took more money out of my friends account without permission and she had to fight to get it back. We definitely won't be going back and definitely won't be recommending it.

• Stayed November 2014
Martyn H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corby, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear brendamc73,

My thanks for your feedback and of course my apologies everything was not as you expected it to be.

Our GNI packages are very popular and great value, and normally very well received. I can see the treatment side of the package went well and I will make sure the girls are made aware of this.

Our service is generally speaking our strength and I will certainly be investigating your comments in more detail as it is certainly not the norm in any way. I noted you review was from a stay in November so I will be going back to look into this in detail.

Our food also gets good feedback across all our dining periods and meals, again I will flag up to our chef your comments and ensure they do not repeat.

I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay, if you do reconsider coming back, I would ask you to contact me directly. I will ensure everything is as it should be and your stay is a memorable one for all the right reasons.

Kind regards and Merry Christmas.

Martyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Excellent customer service from Daniel Collins in the bar, overall very good hotel. Lovely setting and easy to get to. Friendly atmosphere. Would recommend this hotel to friends, family. Great hotel for business or pleasure

• Stayed December 2014
Martyn H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corby, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Georgiakellyb,

Thanks for the lovely kind words, I will be sure to pass these onto Daniel!

My thanks again, we hope to see you back again soon.

Colnbrook
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was working in the area and was booked a room at this hotel. First impressions, when coming into the hotel - it looks rather grand and welcoming. The receptionist was very helpful - she helped to identify my loyalty card number (even though I'd left it at home). The room was very spacious, however it felt sparse, there was a small desk in the big room, there was a bed and a table for the various bits and pieces (coffee, etc.) I felt it could have done with a couch in the room or something not to make it feel so sparse. The bathroom was a good size and clean. I didn't have a lot of fun with the bed - it wasn't an easy bed to sleep in, rather too hard for my liking. The breakfast served downstairs is a buffet and was nice. Overall the hotel is ok, there is really nothing wrong with this place at all. It is good for a short business trip - but the rooms are missing a special something that would make me want to come back.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Martyn H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corby, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear T_Virdee,

My thanks for your detailed review and comments, i am glad to see our staff provided their normal high levels of service.

In regards to your other comments, I would agree with them and am more than sure that our renovation / refurbishment beginning in 2015 will fully rectify this and fully transform the hotel! Something we are all very much looking forward to!

My thanks again for your comments.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've stayed here well over 20 times and tolerated the tired decor, inconsistent wi-fi and heating problems because the staff were always very helpful and the food in the restaurant was very well-priced and delicious. The fact that it was and still is very convenient for a frequent business trip helped as well though there are other choices in the vicinity.

Last week however I'm afraid to say that the food in the restaurant didn't redeem the other failings. My room (upgraded) was ok, very spacious but unremarkable other than the new TVs which have been installed. The heating was still not great and the faded wallpaper was nothing short of depressing.

The restaurant was busy as was the bar and the staff were as usual, very accommodating. The food however was again, unremarkable. Cooked well enough but very uninspiring and prices have gone up. Sad to say but the refurb is now well overdue and I would probably choose a different local hotel until this has been done. I also object to having a service charge added to a restaurant bill in a hotel I am staying at. Fine in a restaurant but not in a hotel I am paying to be looked after in....

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Martyn H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corby, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear B6dwy,

My thanks for your very detailed review and comments. Whilst not great to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us I appreciate you taking the time.

Our hotel has a dedicated hard line delivering the strongest WIFI signal of any hotel in the area. However I will follow up your comments and ensure we review all areas of the hotel coverage to ensure we have no spaces where this drops.

I know our chef will not be happy to read you comments (which I will share with him). He and his brigade are finishing off our new bar, restaurant and room service menus which will be launched very soon.

Our hotel refurbishment will also begin very shortly which, when complete, give us a transformed hotel and make us a real market leader. Something myself and all the team are very much looking forward to!

My apologies for where we have fallen short, hopefully you will come back to us and see the hotel as the transformation takes place.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is the worst Holiday Inn I have ever visited. The service was terrible. The place wasn't very clean. Food in the restaurant was raw and revolting. I don't know how Holiday Inns allows this to happen in one of their hotels. Won't be going here again!

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear davidbennedup,

My deepest apologies for where we clearly fell short during your stay. Yes, refurbishment will transform the hotel but we need to ensure that it is clean and our service and food is of the standard you would expect.

Genuinely speaking we deliver this, with more positive comments regarding the hotels cleanliness, service and food than negative. That said clearly this was not the case during your stay with us and I apologize for this and assure you it will be followed up upon.

During your stay the hotel was very busy with large events taking place (all of which went very well), however we need to ensure that at all times in all areas this is the case.

Once again my apologies, hopefully you will reconsider your comments to not return. Should you do this I am confident that your stay will be a memorable one for all the right reasons.

Yours sincerely,

Cambridgeshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed one night in this hotel for a Christmas Party. Checking in was very efficient and we had two very well sized interconnected rooms as requested. The main foyer area is very spick and tidy but unfortunately as you migrate up to the rooms the decor is clearly getting rather tired. There are areas where the wallpaper is starting to peel and the stair carpet leading edges are protected with black duct tape. This may be effective but looks tacky. Unfortunately the lift was also out of commission.
The health suite has a lot of equipment which is all in a good state of repair and a very well maintained pool, sauna and jacuzzi. Spa treatments are available and performed to a very good standard. Again the area is let down a little by the changing area which could do with a bit of TLC to bring back to an excellent facility.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Dear Fen_Scorpion,

My thanks for your detailed comments regarding your stay with us. It is great to read that overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel - I hope you enjoyed the party!

Our product will soon be transformed, something all of us here at the hotel are very much looking forward too!

My thanks again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

I stay away on business regularly and it's been a long time since I have stayed anywhere as soul destroying as this hotel.
With the Holiday Inn brand comes a certain expectation and this doesn't come up to level you would expect from the brand.
I wanted to eat in my room, but due to lack of a menu I had to go back to reception where I could look at the single photo copy of the menu. One photo copy in an entire hotel!
Because I was downstairs and the bedroom was so depressing I thought I'd eat in the restaurant. French onion soup with bacon and a thick layer of grease followed by lasagne which I am sure would have tasted great when it was made, which certainly wasn't the day it was placed in front of me. I could only think of Gordon Ramseys nightmares!
In short I wished I'd slept in my car and dinned on the spare tyre it would of been tastier and a lot more comfortable!!!

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Martyn H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corby, responded to this review, November 19, 2014
Dear Iandavis13,

Thanks for your comments, though not particularly nice to read I appreciate you taking the time to leave them. I have looked into the matter fully as a result.

Regarding a lack of menu in the room - each and every room in the hotel has a room service menu in it. In all honesty this is the 1st time we have ever had it mentioned this was not the case in any room. Nevertheless I will ensure our HK team check all of our rooms again. This will be done. Today.

What I can categorically state is that there is not 1 menu for the whole hotel, that is simply not true.

Unlike many hotels our food is prepared fresh and not bought in. Our Head Chef and his team made the Lasagne and French onion soup freshly on Monday 17th November. In addition to your meal, over Monday and Tuesday this week we have served 28 portions of the french onion soup and 17 portions of the Lasagne which have been well received.

Hopefully my comments reassure you we do follow up on any / all issues once raised and I will ensure my kitchen and service team are regularly checking satisfaction to ensure all our guests are satisfied and if for whatever reason they are not, we can make it right at the time.

Thanks again for your comments.

Martyn

Been to Holiday Inn Corby? Share your experiences!