“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
falkirk
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Myself and my partner booked in sunday 13th of february at dunblane hydro for one nte as a valentines treat and loved every minute.We were in room 215 and found the room,clean, spacious and very comfortable with everything you need close at hand.Nothing was too much trouble for anyone at the hotel from the room service the service desk and all the waiters and waitresses.Bar staff were very pleasant and helpful with lots of relaxing places to sit with a cocktail and chilll.We found the food in the restuarant fabulous along with the breakfast in the morning.Really can't find a fault in this hotel.Loved it so much we have already booked for the 27th of march and can't wait!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

This was my first visit to the hotel and I was overwhelmed by the quality throughout all departments. Working in hospitality myself, I often pick up on little faults. However, with my stay, I found none.

The hotel looks fantastic both inside and out. All staff I encountered were extremely friendly and professional. The quality of food, standard of service, decor and ambience were second to none!

I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed February 2011
Stirling, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Having arranged for my family to enjoy the Hogmanay celebrations in 2010 with a dinner, music and dancing at this Hotel, I cannot describe what a let down this event was. We were not alone, with many people leaving early and feeling robbed by the experience.
The food was less than average with the waiting staff showing great determination to get it served and eaten in the shortest possible amount of time – I can only assume they had somewhere better to go.
Music and dancing (although there was very little of the latter!) seemed to be simply dated pop music (of the school disco genre), despite the fact those attending were of a very varied age group and repeatedly requested some Scottish music; this was only played once at the bells. The dance floor remained empty throughout the evening, indeed by 11pm it seemed that only the DJs and a few die hards trying to make the best of a bad job remained. I will never revisit this hotel - the memory is just too bad.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
WatchmanDunblane, Hotel Administrator at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
I am so sorry to read about your experience at Hogmanay and that you were so disappointed. It is without question that the entertainment we had booked for Hogmanay fell short of both our instructions and expectations. As a result of our own observations, and the feedback we have received from people such as you, we have written to the agent expressing our dissatisfaction with the entertainment provided on 31st. We have, similarly, offered our congratulations to the Ceilidh Band who performed on 1st and who received universal approbation.
I am very sorry that you would not visit the hotel again. We would have loved to have had the opportunity of replacing those bad memories with good ones…
Elgin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

Myself and my husband visited The Dunblane Hydro for a relaxing break at the start of the year. First we arrived at the reception to find a friendly and bubbly girl (Nicollete?) who was very informative about the hotel and things to do in the area.
We dinned in Nick Nairns restaurant which was a great value for money and our meal was ''fabulous''. Kris was also very helpful through out our meal.
Following morning we experinced a ten minute queue for the breakfast hall but it was worth every minute of it as it was the ''best'' breakfast myself and my hubby has had.

We will return in the near future, we mite even bring our children.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for recommending the hotel so highly. Glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had such a warm and friendly welcome from Nicollette when you checked in! We were also pleased to see how helpful Kris was throughout your ‘fabulous’ meal in the Kailyard and that you thought this was such great value for money. We look forward to your next visit…
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I was really looking forward to a night away. I am a single mum to a toddler and getting away is rare so I was hoping that it was going to be a nice night away with some family, and friends, have a good sleep then followed by a spa treatment. This was not too happen, and I left your hotel feeling worse when I arrived.

Yes the room was lovely; the hotel is decorated to a high standard. Staff were are all friendly and very professional. We had a meal in the restaurant and every one of us enjoyed the food. I must say though, bar prices are extortionate!

I did tell the duty manager on checkout, about the number of complaints we had about room 346. He refunded 20.00 ??? And promised to have a bottle of wine in my friend’s parents room 146 for them. This did not happen. :(

List of issues with room 346.
Water running in the toilet all the time, so we had a constant cistern noise
Sink water not running away unless you put your hand into the sink and lift up the plug, not ideal when brushing your teeth!
The radiator was set to off but it was still heating up, so much so I burnt my leg on it when trying to open the window to cool us down. I got some sleep, from 1130pm til 4am when your generator kicked in, and because the room was so hot we could not close the window.
We had one English breakfast and one earl grey, and one coffee, two sugars in our tray. And a nice UHT milk that had gone off and was all yellow around the outside, not something you want to see when you wake up in the morning.

I probably would have left it at the £20.00 refund on the bill, because a bottle of wine was promised to room 146. I feel I have been let down by Hilton, a name your supposed to trust. As I said I don't get away much from my three year old. I was so upset by my stay; I just wanted to leave so I never got a treatment that I so desperately needed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
WatchmanDunblane, Hotel Administrator at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
Thank you for posting this feedback, which you also posted on our web-site yesterday, so that other visitors can have the benefit of your experience. We are always sorry to hear that guests did not enjoy their stay as much as they had hoped but I am pleased to see that, despite your complaints, the staff were all very friendly and professional and that you all enjoyed the food in the restaurant. I also note that, despite the heading on your review, you thought room 346 was lovely and that the hotel was decorated to a high standard.
Unfortunately, despite regular checks, maintenance issues do occasionally arise. I wish that you had contacted the CARELINE at the time and a maintenance engineer would have sorted the problems for you – or we would have moved you to a different room. He could also have shown you how to adjust the heating.
It might not sound a lot, but when you reported the issues with your room as you were leaving the Duty Manager reduced your bill by 25% by way of apology and as an expression of our goodwill. I am sorry if you felt we should have done more.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

After reading the previous comments about Doubletree, I wanted to add , I was one of the party of 50 on Sat 22nd January, and , honestly I was disappointed with Doubletree on this occasion.
The room was clean and pleasant, the bed wasn't particularly comfy - could it be old bed in newish room.

We sat down for dinner at 7.30. The meal was served in a very strange way . Everyone in the room was served with soup and then all the salmon starter came out and then the poached pear, so this meant we were kept waiting for the whole table to have their starter. This was the same for the main and dessert courses.

The main course was a let down. The lamb was fine but the 3 small pieces of potato and spoonful of ratatouille that came with it didn't inspire a lot.

Dinner finished just after 10pm - approx 3 hours for 3 courses with long waits in between and no coffee or tea offered.

The hotel didn't have enough waiting staff for the number of people in this very busy dining room.Surely the hotel must know the numbers of people it is catering for.

This was not worth the £48 we paid each for our evening, considering that the meal on the website menu is approx £30. Was the £18 difference, for the half bottle of wine each
and towards the entertainment we never got!

This was not my first visit to Dunblane Hydro as I have stayed here before and frequently visited for Sunday lunches, but won't be coming back.

Definitely a disappointment this time and such a shame.

• Stayed January 2011
WatchmanDunblane, Hotel Administrator at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
As a previous visitor to the Doubletree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro I am very sorry that you were disappointed this time. Having stayed before and frequently visited the hotel for Sunday Lunch in the Kailyard, I am sorry if this experience diminishes the pleasant memories of your previous visits and do hope that you will indeed visit us again in the future to enjoy the hotel and good food in the Kailyard Restaurant. You were with the group one of whom posted the previous review and I can only repeat how sorry we are for your disappointment, the details of which have been the subject of several emails between the group organiser and our Events office here at the hotel. Once again please accept our apologies for any disappointment experienced and we do hope that you will visit us again.
fife
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

This was a rearranged function as the xmas dance was cancelled due to the bad weather.
We were in a party of 50 people that arrived at this hotel for a meal and supposed to be laid on entertainment.We were all seated at our table for 7 30pm then the fun began.The actual service was terrible it was not the fault of the staff but of the hotel as they knew in advance that they had a party of ours would be there for the night.The staff were also serving the hotel guests as well.The quantity of food was poor for the amount that was paid per person.
The so called entertainment started as we were still having dinner & by the time we were finished our meal there was no room for our party in the function room.After we complained the hotel opened another function room with a bar and no entertainment.
We were offered free bar up to the value of £1000 & we made our own entertainment.
For a hotel of those so called standards it was very badly organised.

• Stayed January 2011
WatchmanDunblane, Hotel Administrator at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
Your feedback gives a very incomplete picture of the situation. There seems to be some confusion between what was offered to your group and your own expectations. Following your group organiser’s cancellation of your booking to attend one of our Shocky Horror Party Nights, due to inclement weather, your group was offered another date in January when we were putting on another such Party Night. However this offer was declined and your group chose to come on a normal Saturday evening when the hotel provides regular entertainment for all its guests – which receives, incidentally, almost universal approbation. As your feedback acknowledges we did all that we could to ameliorate the situation by opening up another function room for your group. We obviously regret your disappointment but would suggest that any such feedback could appropriately be followed up with the hotel directly with whom your organiser made the arrangements.
David H. Tate on behalf of the Management Team

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!