“Lovely Setting” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Aviemore, United Kingdom
“Lovely Setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

A business trip to the area found me at The Hilton Hydro in Dunblane. A beautiful building and setting but not matched within. Some areas a little tired although mostly modern and well equipped. Breakfast was your standard Hilton fayre although service was courteous and efficient - in fact service throughout was this - not excellent, but pleasant and efficient.

On my first night of arrival, it was too late to venture out so I decided to opt for room service. This was truly over-priced and lacking quality. The burger was greasy, lacking accompaniements and well over priced.

Overall I would return but probably venture further afield for lunch or dinner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear afmchiro38

Thanks for your review posted on TripAdvisor today.

There were a couple of points that were not to the standard that I would have liked which is a genuine pity and I am sorry about this. The vast majority of your review, however, is quite good particularly with the team being mentioned in the way you have.

Thanks again for your comments on your stay.

Liam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I treated ourselves to a night away at the Hydro after getting what we thought was a great deal on DBB.

The drive up to the hotel is very impressive giving the distinct feeling of grandeur. The entry into the hotel itself was pleasant enough and gave the overall impression that we were onto a good thing. The reception staff were very pleasant and we were checked in with no problems at all.

Well on the way to our room I was absolutely shocked at the state of the hallway as soon as you step into the annex. The carpets had not been hoovered in what appeared to be some considerable time, all the doors were scratched/scrapped and are in desperate need of repair, the wallpaper was falling off all over the place and there was a stale smell indicating the poor level of cleanliness throughout this area of the hotel. The room itself was an improvement on the general state of repair of the hallway, but we were far from impressed. The room is small, dark and the was more akin to a Travelodge not a Hilton. The cleanliness of the room was pretty poor, just don't look into it too much!!

We had dinner in the Kaliyard restaurant which was passable. We opted to have main courses only as we are not big eaters, and we both opted for the Hake. The fish itself was extremely fresh and tasty, however the accompanying mash was ridiculously over seasoned. The surroundings in the restaurant are very dark, but our main concern was the lingering musky smell which suggested a poor level of cleanliness.

We decided to round off our evening with a drink from the bar which we took through to the lounge. This just offered us a further chance to see the level of disrepair and shoddy standard of upkeep of the hotel. This is such a shame as the main building itself is beautiful.

The final disappointment was the additional charges which had been added to our room bill. None of these belonged to us and were removed when we challenged the receptionist, but from reading previous reviews this did not seem to be a rare occurrence, and points in the direction of under-trained staff.

After retiring to our room we were kept waken for several hours due to noisy guests in the hallway and the constant slamming of bedroom doors. I am aware that this is not the hotels fault, but it was irritating none the less to not get a decent nights rest.

All in all I would say that the outside of the hotel is lovely, but it is a completely contrasting story from the interior. The whole experience from our stay fell well short of the 4* rating awarded to this hotel. The website in our opinion is significantly misleading as is the star rating. There is no excuse for lack of cleanliness within a hotel of this standard, but I'm afraid that is one of its major issues which will not see us returning in the future.

Dear Babsie21

Thank you for your review of the hotel after your stay with us.

I am sorry that the issues that you highlighted in your review occurred in the manner you explained. I accept that there has been some challenge on a number of fronts recently but with the solutions that have been implemented with new management and the restart of intensive training, I am certain these issues will not be repeated within reason.

Thank you again for your time.

East Kilbride, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Having spent a fantastic weekend here last year I booked an overnight stay on Sunday 29 September to celebrate my wife's birthday. We arrived late in the afternoon and after 15 minutes searching for a parking space eventually got checked in at quarter to five. We then went to the restaurant to book for dinner and were extremely disappointed to be told that the first available table for two was quarter to ten at night. There being no other option we made the reservation.
We returned to the restaurant at the allotted time and then had to queue for 20 minutes before being shown to our table, it was a further 15 minutes before our order was taken by which time it was nearly half past ten. The starters were fine, although the toasted brioche looked suspiciously like sliced bread from a supermarket loaf. For main course my wife had chicken breast which was dry and on the borderline of being warm enough, however she ate it without complaint as by this time we were both extremely hungry. I ordered pan fried fillet of Scrabster Cod and was initially presented with a steak. When I pointed out the error, the waitress apologised and took it away. Some time later I was brought a second dish which turned out to be Salmon. Again I received an apology and this was also taken away. By the time I eventually received the correct main course (which was very tasty) my wife had finished hers and I too had to eat alone. We both ordered trifle for dessert only to be told that there was none left. Our alternative of passion fruit creme brûlée proved to be an extremely poor choice as we both took one spoonful and decided to call it a night. We chose not to hang around for coffee as it was getting near midnight by this point.
Breakfast was extremely busy with long queues for hot food..we had to ask a member of staff for tea and coffee almost 20 minutes after sitting down at our table.
The atmosphere in the restaurant on Sunday evening was tense and highly charged and certainly nothing like our previous eating experience in the hotel which was fantastic. Many patrons were getting agitated due to the poor service and lack of attention being given. I genuinely felt sorry for the waiting staff who were young and obviously inexperienced in working within such a busy environment.
On checking out I highlighted my concerns to the reception staff who were extremely apologetic and offered to deduct our restaurant extras from the bill. Whilst we appreciate this gesture it did nothing to detract from the overall experience and would not encourage me to return to the Doubletree by Hilton at Dunblane.

ps. On 2 October I sent an email outlining my concerns to the General Manager at the hotel. When I had not received an acknowledgement by 7 October I phoned to check that the email had been received, he was not available. I phoned again on 8 October and when he was again unavailable I left my name and contact number requesting a call back which unsurprisingly never came.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SandyGibson

Thanks for your review and I'm sorry that you had the issues that you have highlighted.

I have located your contact from your TripAdvisor name having highlighted to me that you had been attempting to contact me, which I do not have a record of at all. I will be in touch shortly after investigating your comments and will be happy to review the correspondence that was sent me to find out what happened to that as well.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed 2nd of October for one night, this hotel is situated in a fantastic location, the room was very comfortable, spottlessly clean and very very quiet just what we wanted for a good nights sleep. Breakfast buffet was first class. The reception from start to finish was very proffessional courtious and extreanely helpfull Thanks shame about the night out in Dunblane, next time we will have a drink in the hotel bar which looked brill

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Yorkyrover

Thanks for your review after your stay with us last week.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I hope that given such a positive experience you will come back again soon, watch out for some outstanding offers on our brand website for a great value offer.

Wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Fabulous place, had a twin room that was lovely, bathroom and room clean, restaurant food was outstanding. Swam every morning so I could eat in the dining room. Staff were especially friendly, would highly recommend and will be returning.

Room Tip: pick a room at the rear to avoid the traffic of early morning coach parties leaving.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Joy T

Thanks for your review of your stay when you were with us in August.

It was a brief but very complimentary review and one that I hope will mean you will think of us again in the future when you’re back in Scotland again.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We were a bit apprehensive having read several poor reviews, but were pleasantly surprised.

The reception staff were efficient and welcoming. Despite a large wedding party having just arrived, we were checked in quickly and given our warm cookies (a doubletree feature). Our standard room on the top floor was small but comfortable - modern furniture and a good bathroom.

A negative - our bed was made on the following morning and clean towels provided, but neither the bedroom nor the bathroom was cleaned. I don't think this is acceptable in a four star hotel.

Service in the restaurant was quick and friendly - we took the precaution of booking tables before we arrived. The actual food itself was a bit hit and miss. - surprising in a 'signature' restaurant. Good lamb, hake and banana parfait. Undercooked cod, inedible kale, incredibly tart panacotta, dry and bland chocolate cake, stodgy bread and butter pudding - all pointed to a lack of attention to detail. Breakfast was the normal buffet selection - though had to wait 25 minutes for a fried egg on the Sunday - which was the day we had to get away quickly.

Some improvements in the kitchen and housekeeping departments, and I would have given 5/5. Had previously stayed in the Dunkeld Hilton - which was the better of the two hotels.

Room Tip: Front rooms on the top floor have lovely views and are away from the car park.
Dear Hopeful-Guest

Thanks for your review today on TripAdvisor.

Along with the positives, I also take on board the constructive points that you’ve made about your stay.

Thanks for your time in posting your review.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed from Sat 28th Sep to wed 2nd Oct
Room - Junior Suite clean and spacious
Bar - Never had problems getting a seat or service and not overly expensive.
Restaurant - We had prebooked so were lucky to get a time that suited. Meals were excellant and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere in restaurant even though it was always very busy. Breakfasts were lovelly too no matter what time we went down.
Good to see a hotel with majority of local staff employed.
Location - Love the peace and quiet of Dunblane away from city hustle and bustle. The town has plenty to offer from bars, restaurants and lovelly small shops to wander around.
Good train service to Glasgow and Edinburgh etc if required.
This was our 2nd visit this year and hopefully wont be long before we return again.
Not a cheap hotel break for us as we did not book on a special deal but I do not grudge the money spent when we come away totally relaxed and happy.

Room Tip: We had a Junior Suite in the Stirling Wing well worth the extra money if staying a few days.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear weeduck

Thanks for your comprehensive review of our hotel after your stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane.

Even though you stayed with us on a particularly busy public holiday weekend, it sounds as if you had a really great stay with us. I am aware that on weekends similar to this, there can be delays which unfortunately goes with a big hotel on a popular weekend, but as I say it was very satisfying for me to read that your 4 night stay went so well.
Many thanks again for your stay, I hope we will see you again as you’ve promised in your review.

Liam

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!