“Good Hotel with a few problems” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
WINTER SALE NOW ON!
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Canberra Australia
“Good Hotel with a few problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in June as we were visiting Stirling Castle. Driving up to the Hotel it looks absolutely majestic with a sprawling lawn leading up to it and a long, winding road to drive up to the entrance. The staff on reception were friendly and check in was completed in no time at all and we were welcomed with one of their delicious choc chip cookies to take to our room and have with a cuppa. Our room was on the 3rd floor right next to the elevator, which we did not hear at all during our stay. The room itself was very run down, the bed was awful to sleep in, you could feel every spring, even though a thick mattress cover was used, all the furniture was chipped and it all looked tired and in need of refurbishment. What disturbed us the most were the awful stains on the carpet. When we opened the door to the bathroom we just said 'wow', the bathroom was huge and was obviously very new with a separate shower and bathtub and very modern basin, it only needed a shelf for our toiletries and it would have been absolutely perfect. We had a wonderful view over the front lawns and rhododendrons that were in full bloom and a view of the front entrance and so were able to watch the Bagpiper piping in the bridal party that arrived, so that was a treat to witness. Our package included breakfast and dinner. The continental breakfast was fine, just very spread out, so you had to walk all over the dining room to gather your food, which was slightly annoying. The staff were fabulous at every meal and very attentive. Dinner was absolutely top notch, very tasty and could not be faulted. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear rovers816

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your stay with us.

Overall your comments are very positive which is great to read especially the spectacle and glamour of the arrival of a wedding at the hotel! The points that you have raised about the mattress will be checked immediately and I'm sorry that this was the case. The carpets will be replaced as soon as I can make it happen, they have been cleaned and the carpet is clean but unfortunately the appearance of the stain is still unsightly and means that the whole carpet will to be replaced as soon as I can.

Thanks again for your comments, I hope that you will stay with us again if your return to Scotland again in the future.

Liam Spillane, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights for my birthday and had a lovely room which was in a quiet corner of the hotel. On arrival at the hotel you are given warm chocolate cookies, as we arrived quite close to us having dinner we asked if we could get them the next day and was told to just ask at reception when we were passing. The staff were very helpful and my husband had asked for a table at the window in the restaurant which overlooked the long drive up towards the hotel. The food in the Kailyard restaurant is excellent although can be a bit pricey but you expect that in any hotel. Rooms were very clean and spacious although we did find them very warm but it was very hot and sunny when we stayed there so we made use of the fan that was in the room.

Room Tip: We were in room 330 which was in a quiet part of the hotel and didn't have people going past as...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear 17Merlin

Thank you for today's fantastic review of our hotel.

There was a consistent theme throughout your review complimenting our friendly and helpful staff which was a pleasure to read about. The birthday celebration you had I hope will be fondly remembered for a long time to come and will also mean you will come back and stay again in the future.

Thanks again for your time and effort in reviewing our hotel.

Kilwinning, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Had a weekend stay here on a deal which was good value for money. Check in good and we both got warm cookies which is a lovely touch although we had booked dinner an hour later but that's not hotel's fault. Ate 2 nights in the Kailyard restaurant which was lovely if a bit pricey for tourists and families. Food was very good although if you were staying for more than a few nights I think people would be tempted to eat outwith hotel. Cheapest item for the mains were a burger at £15.95 which I didn't have but it looked lovely although I still think it was a bit steep pricewise. Staff were very friendly and efficient and appeared to be enjoying their work. Top marks to them. On the 2nd night we were celebrating out anniversary and had requested a quiet table. There was a party at the table in the conservatory who were having fun and laughing very loudly but we asked to be moved and this was done with no problem. Don't think that our request was noted though via email. Breakfast was lovely apart from second morning the staff seemed a bit "out of sorts". When we were seated we had finished our cereal and had to look around for someone to serve us tea and coffee. Did notice this happened to others too but the 1st morning was spot on. The room we had was clean but a bit small. There was only a "desk type" chair to sit on and very little room otherwise. The bathroom was spotless and almost the same size as the room. I suppose for a deal this is the rooms available. The only problem was the mini bar - if we had wanted to use it(we didn't) there were no glasses for wine or drinks. The only glasses were the 2 small ones in the bathroom. I think I've just seen the most expensive chocolate biscuit - £2 for a caramel wafer!! Apart from that the room was well maintained throughout our stay. Didn't use leisure facilities so cannot comment on these. We were asked if we wanted a newspaper each morning delivered to the room and this was not done but they were available throughout the reception and restaurant areas at no charge so not a problem. We had a room on the 4th floor and it was roasting! They did provide a fan in the wardrobe and it was a lovely weekend weatherwise so we shouldn't complain about that! The hotel is in a beautiful setting but having stayed at many other Hilton hotels I felt this hotel to be a bit lacking in small things but it didn't spoil our weekend but it might matter to others.

Room Tip: 4th floor seems to get very hot according to others.
Dear grannyca

Thank you for your review of our hotel after staying with us recently.

Our location in Dunblane is indeed stunning, even more so when the sun shines as it has been recently. I can see that there were a small number of niggles during your stay and I was sorry to read that. However overall it sounds like you've had a great stay and your detailed review I’m certain will beneficial to those that read it.

Thanks again for your review, I hope that we will see you again soon.

Wareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Now that the world will be flocking to Dunblane to pay homage to the Wimbledon / Olympic / US Open champion they couldn't choose a nicer place to stay. This Doubletree is set in an amazing Victorian building. Nice staff, nice rooms, decent gym/swimming pool and adequate breakfast. Prices are competitive (fully flexible prices ~£89 / room) for Doubletree and free cookies. Not much to do in Dunblane but is useful stop on way to the Highlands

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Claude K

Thanks for your tremendous review of our hotel after staying with us over "Andy Murray's Weekend"

As a business and as part of the community of Dunblane we are all thrilled with Andy's deserved reward after all his work in winning Wimbledon. We had an amazing atmosphere all around the hotel in the build up to the final and even today we're all still very much on a high from Andy Murray's win.

Of course your quick comments on the hotel are great too, we are the gateway to the Highlands - do call again!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here for our first anniversary and had a fantastic time. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was unbelievable. We had a very nice surprise at the end of our meal when our waiter, who was excellent, brought us out a nicely decorated plate with chocolate truffles, cookies and a happy anniversary message written in chocolate sauce followed by a couple of glasses of champagne. Will definitely be back!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EJS2012

Thank you for your fantastic review of our hotel.

That was a real "whaoo" moment that was created by my team and it's definitely going to be remembered for a long time to come for you as well - in fact I know a good idea, why don't you come back again for your 2nd anniversary and we'll try to make it as special again!

Many thanks again for your review.

Farnham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. I suspect that it trades on its name and location, and being part of the Hiltion family of hotels, probably catering for bus tours of Americans, etc. There are clearly not enough staff for the number of rooms, making it impossible to even get an answer from reception or room service on the phone. The menu of the restaurant, which is supposedly something special, makes no obvious offers for vegetarians, though we were told that we should have been offered a veggie menu. But the main thing was that room service food took at least one and a quarter hours (by their reckoning, though I think it might have been even longer). We had been told it would take 30-45 minutes. No one kept in touch to warn of the delay, though my impression is they didn’t give a monkeys about that, despite apologies when I complained. Worst of all, I had asked for a main course for my girlfriend of what I had described to them as a large plate of mixed vegetables and mashed potato. What eventually came was a tiny little side order pot of grotty veg and a dash of mashed potato. It was such an insult that we told them to take all the food away, and as they could not manage to book a decent restaurant for us, we ate out at a very friendly bistro in Bridge of Allan. (The Jam Jar).

I spoke that evening to the duty manager, who agreed to get the general manager to contact me in the morning. He never did so, and I had to attempt to get an answer on the phone from reception (trying several times). They did not know if he was coming in, and the receptionist claimed not to know a phone number for his PA, though she managed to find one when I insisted. The PA and GM were not in the building, so they said they would get a duty manager to ring me to discuss. This he never did, making it necessary to wait forever to get reception to answer the phone again. This time, they said that the duty manager wanted to know what I wanted him for before taking the call. Eventually, got hold of a guy who claimed to be the GM’s deputy, who agreed that this was all unacceptable but said there was not much he could do apart from apologise. He claimed that the head chef himself had sent the veg up even though they had passed on the request for a large main course portion of mixed vegetables. That probably says it all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear colin t

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us.

I was aware of the issues that infringed upon your stay with us and I am sorry once again for a basic level of service not being provided as I would like all guests to receive.

As we have corresponded with you privately with a suggestion of a resolution, I will leave that with you for now until you get the opportunity to come back to us.

I am sincerely sorry again for these issues and I know I will get these points addressed instantly relating to each and every point you have raised.

LEEDS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

we had a monday to friday break with shearings at this hotel we were in a room on the ground floor to the rear of the hotel i found it very noisy and had trouble sleeping every night.the food was pretty average,the wine was very expensive£8.50 for a glass of merlot.the staff were extremely courtious and friendly.the shared areas around the back (corridors) could have done with a good clean very dusty and bits of paper everywhere.the breakfasts were excellent with lots of choice.overall a pleasant stay but did not live up to the hype.

Dear bassyLeeds

Thanks for your review of our hotel after staying with us from Shearings.

I was sorry to read that there was a couple of areas that we did not to our usual high standards. I will ensure that my Housekeeping Manager is informed of your points relating to cleanliness.

I know overall you said you've enjoyed your stay, but your constructive points are noted and will be followed up on.

Liam Spillane, General Manager

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!