“Wonderful venue for reunion” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
WINTER SALE NOW ON!
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Clevedon, United Kingdom
“Wonderful venue for reunion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with a number of university colleagues as part of our 45th anniversary of starting an architectural course in 1967.

The evening meal was very good - all 33 of us commented on the quality of the food and the reasonable price.

As we were part of the main dining room - there were two weddings being held elsewhere in the hotel - it was not appropriate to have speeches in an area with other diners. However, the staff were very responsive and helped to set up the Stuart Room for our use in private.

My only negative comment would be in respect of the music that was played whilst we were eating - a duet of guitar and trumpet! Whilst the guitar was acoustic and easy on the ear, the trumpet was rather shrill! Nevertheless, after i had a word with the staff about this, the trumpeter did play rather more softly!

The bedroom was delightful and spacious.

All in all - a wonderful place to visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your constructive feedback; the volume of music can vary dependant on the entertainment we have – however I am glad to read our staff were responsive to your requirements and you had a delightful time with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
Strathaven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Myself and my other half stayed at the Dunblane Hydro back in March. We were really luck to get the room at the front of the hotel that sits in the centre of the building with an amazing view across the hotels grounds.
The room was a lovely size for the 2 of us and the bathroom was amazing. It was huge with a Jazuzzi Bath and a Seperate Shower. I could have moved into the bathroom.
We had dinner on our first night and the food was lovely with a nice selection. The staff in the restaurant were lovely and even offered us a complimentary amuse bouche while we waited for our mains.
The bar staff of the Thursday night were fantastic, we stayed out of the hotel on the Friday night as there was Wedding on and I know from past experience that wedding guests can take over the bar.
I would recommend a stay at Dunblane Hydro its a gorgeous hotel in a lovely area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your lovely feedback; we are glad you enjoyed your room and its' facilities so much! Your compliments have been shared with the team.
Fraserburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We booked for two nights DB&B. Very impressed on arrival with the hotel and were happy with our room. We did find the drinks price at the bar on the pricy side but having said that the first night eating in the Nick Nairn restaurant was a pleasnt experience.
However on the second night there were two wedding functions and the guests completely took over all the seating and the bar.I know you can expect this at a hotel but the least I expect is to be told this during booking. ( We cancelled our first hotel on this dates because of this.
We had a table booked for our meal and when we turned up there were no tables available. When we did get a table and ordered our meal the starter took 30minutes to arrrive, the main course another 30 minutes and the sweet yet another 30 minutes.
On checking out I noticed the meals which were already paid for were charged again on the bill. Okay this was sorted out but still annoying.
I would not recommend the Dunblane at the normal room rates and would only ever go back if there were special deals and I mean they would have to be very special rates.
Nice enough hotel , beautiful surroundings but never again at your rates Hilton.

Room Tip: Check first if you are in the original built hotel and not the extension.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I am sorry to read that you did not appreciate the leisurely pace the majority of our guest enjoy whilst eating at the Kailyard. Our staff need to be aware that our guests have differing requirements and have forwarded your comments to them so they may improve their service in this area. Thank you for sharing this with us.
edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband, daughter and I recently stayed here for one night. There were some aspects of the hotel that were very good, namely the beautiful exterior and grounds, as well as the decor in the public rooms. The warm cookie on arrival was also a lovely touch.

However, there were a various aspects of the hotel that were extremely disappointing for a 4 star Hilton hotel:-

Extremely rushed check in with room directions provided at top speed. I had to go back to the desk and ask for the directions to be given again.

We were located in a modern annexe at the rear of the hotel. This annexe was in stark contrast to the front of the building and resembled a travel lodge. The corridor leading to our room had not been vacuumed for some time and there was wallpaper peeling off the walls. The room itself had stains on the carpet and we were unable to close the windows which meant we were freezing cold all night.

The service in the bar was reasonable friendly, however, the food was mediocre at best. I ordered fish and chips at £14.95 which was served straight from the freezer with a garnish of wilting lettuce. I would have expected something of a better quality at this price, perhaps fresh fish or at least hand cut chips.

The leisure facility was in need of an overhaul with rusting pipework on the ceiling, mouldy shower curtains and several tiles missing on the floor of the changing rooms and in the steam room. A health hazard and not what I expected from this hotel.

Finally, the service at breakfast was extremely poor. The host was on the phone for several minutes when we arrived and did not make any attempt to acknowledge us. Once seated, there were lots of staff clearing tables but not a single one noticed that we had arrived and offered us tea and coffee. We waited and waited for around 15 minutes so eventually I had to go and ask for us to be served. We did not feel welcome at all. The staff are in desperate need of customer service training.

So it you are looking for good service, good food and a nice hotel room, my advice is to book somewhere else! You won't find it here.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel itself is nice...the entrance is grand! I've been here before with work for a Conference. It looked nice and the food was good so this swayed me to book to come and stay here with my husband.

The decor in the hotel is pretty tired in places, especially the Stirling wing where we were staying. That said, the reception area, restuarant and bar are all nice.

We didn't eat dinner here as we wanted to go for a wander on the first night. Found a lovely bar in the village called The Village Inn. Great food at reasonable prices! We did use the bar in the hotel. It was nice...cocktails were good. Bill was around £24 for 2 cocktails, 1 pint and a Southern Comfort. Breakfast was great - probably the best thing about the hotel.

We were however let down by the room. It was quite small (although we could have lived with that) and had the most uncomfortable bed i have ever slept in. It was full of springs and quite hard. I was up about 3 times during the night and couldn't get comfortbale. Even my husband (who is very laid back and not fussy in the least!) complained about it.

As we were there for 2 nights, after the first night I complained that the bed was so uncomfortable. The receptionist offered us another room - a few doors down- and took us to the room. The bed wasn't any better. She even said she wouldnt be able to sleep on it herself! I was then told she would get someone to come along and put a matress topper on the bed. A young boy came along, took sheets etc off only to find there was already a mattress topper on the bed! He put another one on, and a duvet underneath. So we were to be sleeping on top of two matress toppers and one duvet. Not what you expect at a Hilton!!!

We went away for the day to Braehead and came back really looking for a relaxing night in the room. Well it wasn't to be. Bed was still uncomfortable and I spoke to reception again. I was then given a key to another room to check myself. I went and checked it but again the bed didn't feel any different so opted to stay where we were rather than trek ourselves and belongings through hotel, past bar etc.

I spoke to the manager on leaving. He was pleasant enough and noted our complaints. I have a feeling it is not the first time he has heard this complaint. He told us all the beds on the wing have toppers...time for replacement I think! We were offered £50 compensation, which was to be refunded on my card but I haven't seen this refund as yet!

In summary, some good points but overall it was a let down due to the uncomfortbale bed. I wont be going back! Try the Crieff Hydro instead...far superior!

Auburn, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We only stayed here 1 night. While you get a real wow factor when you pull up to the hotel, be aware of where you are put. We were defintely not in the old hotel side. We were in the back and I mean very back of the hotel that must of been redone a few years ago. And our room was at the very end of the of the hallway.

The room was clean and ok but for the price we paid I would of expected a little more light and airy room. Everyone at the front desk was nice and the morning breakfast was very typical English breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Parking is poorly signed and very limited when the hotel is busy. I ended up parking down beside the swimming pool (signed as permit only and 2hrs maximum). Others ended up on double yellow lines
Checking in was quick, quick to the extent of feeling rushed. The directions to our room were cursory and given without checking we knew where to go. There was no offer of help with our bags.

The bedroom was fine, the bed large and comfortable, but did totally dominate the room so there was hardly any space to move round it, place cases etc. There was a good choice of TV channels. The bathroom was clean and modern, but the toilet flush was a bit tempramental. No soap provided.

The hotel guide was obviously written in the USA and refers to avoiding the elevator in case of fire, surely we could expect a Scottish Hotel write in the local language

Our Friday night meal was very tasty. But as noted elsewhere, service was incredibly slow, especially the bar service. This despite the restaurant not being full. The staff very pleasant and keen to please and I suspect the sluggish service was more due to the lack of numbers rather than a lack of effort

Breakfast both mornings was standard large hotel , help yourself. Again the staff were polite, welcoming and keen to help. The cooked breakfast was stacked high with food that would barely qualify as lukewarm, it was certainly not hot. This was a very poor effort for any large hotel and the Hydro should hang it's head in shame if this is the best they can do.

Lunch on both days was as appalling as breakfast, cooked food that was barely warm, reheated soup from the night before, Lamb on Sunday was more suited to being used as a rubber toy for my dog than eaten, but looked more edible than the overcooked fish

The room was eventually "serviced" after 3pm on the Saturday. It certainly hadn't been cleaned. Though the two young men from housekeeping seemed to be enjoying their day's work. i doubt that many of their customers would have been impressed with their efforts

Saturday dinner would be passable for a 3 star hotel but for a hotel boasting Nick Nairn's name it was disappointing. Certainly it would not have left the kitchen at Breval when the man himself actually cooked food.

The cocktail bar staff, were again friendly, keen to please but seemingly unable to cope for large periods, resulting in long queues to get served. Watch out for the soft drink prices, £2.20 for a small glass of lemonade from the tap, bottles were £2.80

Check out was quick and painless, the best part of the weekend, leaving.

In summary, I may have expected too much. But I assumed from the image and the prices that the Doubletree Hilton was a premier brand not trying to challenge Premier Inn. Sadly a challenge they would probably lose

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!