“All in the details” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“All in the details”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in June for work, and I must say that the first time I saw this grand and imposing hotel from the sweeping drive I was mightily impressed. The common areas have been really stylishly decorated and were very well kept.

I was allocated a suite on the 3rd floor of the Stirling wing, which is the newer part of the hotel, however feels a little neglected and need a good deal of tlc. My suite was large and comfortable with two enormous flat screen tv's, a minibar (that didn't open) and a spa bath (that unfortunately wouldn't bubble). The bed was huge, very comfrtable and laden with cushions, which on removing them to go to sleep I noticed a few small stains on the bed linen. The complimentary dressing gowns & slippers were a lovely touch.

Throughout my stay the staff were always happy to help and chat to me, even though the hotel was very busy. Breakfast was good, (although I have never encountered a slower toaster) and there was a large selection of hot and cold items to choose from. The pot of tea or coffee on arrival at breakfast was a nice touch.

I used the swimming pool once during my stay, and I have to say I was a little dissapointed. It's a good size and nice to have the spa pool, steam room and sauna all within it, however it just needs a good scrub, and some of the loose tiles replaced.

I didn't eat in the restaurant during my stay, the prices seemed rather exorbitant (at £8 for a sandwich and £15+ for a main course) and it would've been nice if there'd been a cafe area with more reasonable prices (as there is in many other hotels). However I did spend a few enjoable evenings in the bar (where a gin & tonic will set you back £5.50)

Overall this hotel was fantastic for my needs, being that I was working all day. However I think had I been here for a holiday I might have rated it a little lower, as there wasn't a huge amount to do around the hotel.

It's a lovely and very grand hotel, especially in the common areas, however some of the smaller details just let it down. I would stay again, but probably only for a short stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Stirling wing look over the car park, however all the rooms are quiet, being that the h...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for your constructive feedback which has been shared with our team. We, at the hotel, value our guests’ opinions and we are working on the “smaller details” you mentioned with the aim to improve your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
West Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed for three nights as part of a two night gardening society weekend in June staying on for a thid night as independent travellers. The hotel is very imposing with lovely grounds but busy with weddings and functions. Our room was on the fourth floor, modern, clean and relatively quiet The high, hard beds don't suit me but others may find them to their liking and with the sun out the room became very hot as the windows only open a fraction. As usual in most Hilton hotels almost every surface was covered in Hilton minibar electronic tray and general paraphernalia. There was not much space to put clothes, cases and items in the few cupboards and drawers and the drawer in the desk/dressing table was so hot from the heat from the minibar fridge it was unusable. The price of £2 for a Tunnock's caramel wafer on the electonic tray ( £1.45 for eight from Sainsbury's) left us reeling, Food at breakfast was good although despite strong requests for a pot of tea only tea dispensed from a jug by the staff was available. It was dreadful.. Dinner in the restaurant on the third night was delicious but the two communal dinners we had with the society bore no resemblance to the restaurant food. There was no choice despite paying the going rate of a £32.50 allowance for food at dinner it was a bit mean and measured and again the tea was dreadful! We had a lovely three days with the society enjoying this gorgeous area but were a little disappointed with the hotel. When we settlled our bill we had to point out that we hadn't had anything from the minibar or tray. Apparently the electronic tray charges you if you pick any item up to look at it and we had been billed, yes you've guessed it, for a £2 Tunnock's wafer bar! Hilton need to revisit this innovative approach to adding to customers' bills!

Room Tip: Rooms in the roof are hot and not very spacious. Bathrooms are nice.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments and observations which have been passed on to our management team at the hotel. We are sorry to read that you did not appreciate the tea on offer; we do try to accommodate individual taste by having a varied stock of tea bags available on request. All rooms have a notice informing our guests of the cost of minibar products on offer which states the charging policy; however, I am pleased to read your bill was quickly and efficiently rectified at check out.
Cheltenham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

As you drive up to the Hydro, the building takes your breath away. Very imposing and staggeringly beautiful hotel. From the moment you walk in, you are transported to an age long gone. A truly fairy tale hotel. Stayed in both standard rooms and suits. Every one beautifully decorated and extremely clean. Suites are very large with large flat screens in all rooms.. Beds are huge and as comfortable as hotel beds can be. As is the extensive breakfast. Nick Nairn's restaurant serves delicious local food. An excellent hotel for a romantic break

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your trip advisor review; we are delighted to read you had a lovely romantic break with us.
Cupar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My wife organised a surprise 80th birthday treat with the family getting together for a DBB with the meal at Nick Nairns Kailyard.
The hotel is very imposing and the family who had not been before were very impressed.
The staff were very helpful when we booked in and when we asked for direction "Jim" offered to drive us down to the town and return if we wished. Very impressed by the service which received great feedback from the family. The hot cookie on booking in was also a nice touch.
The rooms were on the small side but very well furnished and equipped. The en-suit was modern and the only complaint was the lack of an extractor to dispel the steam.
The meal can only be described as excellent from the moment we arrived at the restaurant till we left a number of hours later. The staff were exceptional and had decorated the table with 80th confetti and banners for us. We had brought a cake and small fireworks for the table and the staff made a real effort to ensure the birthday meal was a great success.
The staff are a credit to the hotel and restaurant.
Due to the heating still being on in June our sleep was disturbed and when I opened the window for some fresh air we were disturbed by the fans under our window. If we return we will ask for rooms out with that area.
The gym is small but well equipped.
All in all a truly memorable experience and one which my mother in law will treasure as will the family as a whole.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the south side.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
It is delight to read our staff were exceptional in making your Mother-in-Law’s 80th birthday treat so memorable for you all. Your feedback has been passed on to the relevant departments so we may improve our service and facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to Dunblane.
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had a really nice 2 night stay recently. The room though pretty small, was clean, tidy and modern. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, always spoke to our 2 year old son. The hotel seemed noisy with functions yet the rooms were really quiet and you did not hear anything which was great. The breakfast was dissapointing, expected it to be better than the standard buffet breakfast which wasnt as fresh as you would expect. We ate in the Nick Nairn restaurant which was nice enough, though again expected it to be better. The swimming pool was really nice and there were plenty of treatment rooms if you wanted to get some pampering done.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive comments – these do help us assess the standard of our facilities and services. We are focussing on our breakfast service and offerings and hope you will come back soon to appreciate the changes we have implemented.
seward, ak
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

As a Hilton Honors member I had opportunity to stay for 40 pounds and 17K points, so I won't complain about the value. Needless to say we didn't end up in the nicest part of the hotel, but even still I was amazed that this is a Hilton property. The Stirling wing was in bad need of renovation, the rooms small, and the ventilation non-existant. Lucky for us a fairly large storm was blowing through and kept up a steady draft under the door, otherwise I'm sure we would have found the room stifling. The desk and dining staff were friendly and helpful, I tend to to get up in the morning a few hours before the rest of the family. The lovely grounds are all in front of the hotel and really don't offer much access. The bed was comfortable and the lounge comfortable. Otherwise this really seems to be more of a conference hotel and less of a family resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments about our hotel; I would like to qualify that we are not a family resort and do market ourselves as such. That said, we do have lots of families coming to stay during the holiday periods of the year and have a great time. I am sure you will find there are more family orientated resorts in Scotland that may be better suited to your personal requirements.
Ayrshire, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Stayed for one night room only and wished we had booked more.Booked in January when Hilton have their sale so got a good deal. Lovely modern room. Reception staff very friendly and helpful and was welcomed by the traditional doubletree cookie which was rather nice. Was told at reception that as I was a Hilton honours guest I would receive free wifi however after searching for the password in my room and after calling reception i was told that this was only available for gold and platinum honors guests. Wifi I thought was rather pricey at 15.00 per day so didn't bother. On the whole a very nice modern hotel with all you would expect from Hilton
Will certainly return here soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!