“MMmmm one to think about” 4 of 5 stars

Bruce Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Cornwall Street, East Kilbride G74 1AF, Scotland   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
Middlesbrough
“MMmmm one to think about”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This hotel is in a good location for Glasgow which is only 20 minutes from Glasgow city centre so makes a good base, cheap and comfortable you get what you pay for, the meals are excellent the staff are very help full and friendly, main East Kilbride shopping centre 2 mins walk from hotel, if your up for ice skating or have children who like to skate the shopping mall boast an excellent ice rink to occupy you or other family members, on a down side the hotel cater for wedding receptions and other functions can get a bit noisy late on the night, unless your a party animal then you can join in, i have stayed here on a few occasions, the hotel is good value for money and a good base to work your break from.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher level to the rear are the quietest, most rooms are the same as other, all are en...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Douglas D, Manager at Bruce Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear ronaldjackson1959,

Many thanks for your kind review following your recent stay at The Bruce.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our hospitality during your visit. We do pride ourselves on offering excellent value for money.

As you correctly stated we do cater for functions at the weekend but always endeavour to allocate guests not attending the function the bedrooms furthest away from the function suite.

I hope that you will get the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again in the future.

Jim McCann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Kilbirnie, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed here last night on a Groupon deal and felt that it was good value for money at the discounted price but would have been very disappointed had we paid the normal rate. On the positive side the staff are very friendly and do their best to make you welcome and the rooms are clean.
On the negative side the hotel is overdue a makeover with the bedroom which we had needing to be refreshed. We also felt that in this day and age there should be Tea/Coffee facilities in the bedrooms of this standard of hotel which there are not.

On arrival we noted that there was no remote control for the TV and when we reported this to Reception we were informed that no spare remotes were available but were offered an alternative room which due to the short stay we declined.

Breakfast was very good with juice cereal etc. being buffet style and cooked breakfast being waiter served.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Douglas D, Manager at Bruce Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear David G,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel.

The hotel is undergoing a refurbishment programme with all the public areas and many of the bedrooms having been completed with the remainder of the bedrooms programmed for the next few months.

We do provide complimentary tea making facilities in all our bedrooms and depending on the style of the bedroom they are housed on the shelves in the wardrobe, also in response to the lack of remote control I can only apologise for this being missing from your room and I can understand that you did not want the inconvenience of moving rooms.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found that you were offered value for money.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel if you are in the area in the future.

Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Spent 5 nights - Tuesday to Saturday at the end of January - a clean, comfortable and very warm room at the front/side of hotel. Plenty of hot water for bath/shower - though if you are tall bath is quite a squeeze! Ate in Guy's Restaurant each evening - good value with large plates of 'home made' food - huge portion of steak pie, tasty Scottish dishes like Cullen Skink and Haggis. The starters and main courses being so generous I wasn't able to try any deserts! Breakfast were excellent (a £5 addition per night) - a buffet during week as a coach trip was in the hotel - with porridge or cereals, Scottish cooked breakfast and toast/jam - there are other options - kippers etc. Filled up in hotel & managed during day without lunch! Location is 10-15 walk from railway station with a twice hourly 30 minute service to Glasgow Central (£4.30 cheap day return - Feb 2013) - first off peak train at 9.26. There is a leisure/aqua centre 5 minutes from Hotel (not used). Location might be off-putting (part of a 1970's shopping centre) but during the week it was very quiet. Some minor disturbance from younguns leaving night club below hotel at weekend but a set of earphones and an iPod cured that!

All in all very good experience. Really good value for money (£35 per night) with two course meals costing about £10 to £15. The rooms are half the cost of central Glasgow, but still within easy reach of the City centre. Staff very friendly and helpful. I'm planning to go back in the early summer (before the Commonwealth Games hike the prices!).

Room Tip: Rooms at back overlook service yard. Ihad room at the front/side looking towards parkland. Very li...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Douglas D, Manager at Bruce Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Dom_Edward,

Many thanks for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay at the Bruce Hotel.

We do pride ourselves on offering value for money, excellent home cooked food and friendly efficient service and I am delighted that we delivered on all these values during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
East Kilbride
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We have been to the Skye bar twice in the past couple of weeks for a late lunch. The food is excellent and the presentation is first class, putting a lot of restaurants to shame. The management and staff are very friendly and helpful. The lounge bar is very clean and has a very pleasant atmosphere. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Douglas D, Manager at Bruce Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear over60Eastkilbride,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit to the hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal, it is always so rewarding when our guests return. I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I went here with my family for my 40th. There was 8 of us. The food was very poor and the service we received was a disgrace. The waiter was very unpleasant and it felt as if he didn't want to be there. He never asked us once if everything was ok. I had a burger and let's be honest I could have broken a window with it. I would never recommend this place. There are far better places to go for a nice meal in East Kilbride. Our bill wasn't cheap, they sure know how to charge. The sad thing about the whole night was there were only two tables occupied in the restaurant so there was no reason for the poor food and service we received.

Stayed February 2014
Douglas D, Manager at Bruce Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Mrs Dorans,

I am extremely concerned and disappointed that you failed to receive our usual standard of food and service during your recent visit to the hotel.

I can give you my personal assurance that every element of your feedback will be fully investigated.

Could I ask you please to contact me directly at the hotel (013552 29771) when I would like the opportunity to discuss your visit personally.

rochdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were attending the West of Scotland Cat Club show and they were using this hotel for the judges.

I booked three double rooms seemingly without problem. I offered my credit card number but was told it wasn't necessary. I later received an e-mail confirming the reservation, saying that they needed my credit card details!

I booked a table for dinner for five, I later phoned to increase this to seven.

The room was of poor standard for the price, £90 for two of us. There had clearly been a water leak through the ceiling. The main door had been very roughly repaired. The vinyl in the bathroom was nearly worn out and had come away from the gripper.

As far as dinner went the dining room appeared to have no knowledge of our reservation. Eventually we were seated and were offered a seasonal menu, but the waiter was unsure as to whether we could have two courses.

This hotel is charging way too much for the standard of accommodation.

The public areas are smart, everything else needs renovation. They also need to sort out the postcoding problems, all three of us finished up in a different location using satnav.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Douglas D, Manager at Bruce Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for taking the time to offer your feedback and your kind comments regarding the upgrade of the hotel since your last visit. We do have an on going programme this year which will incorporate remaining bedroom accommodation.

We totally appreciate the business that we receive from the cat club each year which is why I believe I offer the extremely keen rate of £45.00 person to include bed, full Scottish breakfast and a 4 course dinner in our Guy's restaurant.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming yourself and your party again this year when I hope you will appreciate the next stage in our refurbishment programme.

Wishing you a happy and prosperous 2014.

J McCann (General Manager)

Been to Bruce Hotel? Share your experiences!