“Definitely go back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in East Kilbride
Perth, United Kingdom
“Definitely go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Travelled here with a quickie DU weekend tour in September. Reviews had been varied but frankly we tend not to judge until we have been there.

Room fine, food excellent - pity there was too much and I could never cope with it all!
Dinners were excellent with plenty of choice.

Breakfast has everything you could wish for.We started off first day filling our plates, but realised this was gluttony...but everything looked so tempting! After that we were realistic and were able to choose exactly what we wanted without overdoing it!

We paid very little to go on this weekend (with tours etc.) but really we were treated like we had paid full price for our stay. Staff were lovely and the attention was first class.

Absolutely nothing to complain about really. Only fly in the ointment was no wi-fi in the room and I wish hotels would get themselves in gear to provide this. However got it in reception so I wasn't entirely cut off.

No reduced stars for that as all in all the hotel provides everything for a comfortable short stay. Would be very happy to return there anytime.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Irene T,

Many thanks for your kind comments following your recent stay.

The hotel has experienced mixed reviews in recent years, however, following an on going refurbishment programme we are delighted that guests are leaving the hotel having had a positive experience.

I sincerely hope that you will visit us again in the future.

I wish you a happy and prosperous 2014.

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Food great as is the service. Had a really lovely meal that could not be faulted. There are various themed food nights at good prices and it's obvious that the owners are trying to attract new customers and I hope that the word spreads. Sunday afternoon has a good singer and saxophonist which makes a pleasant change as nothing else happens in the town centre on Sunday afternoons. Well done- we will definitely be back!

Douglas D, Manager at Bruce Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Many thanks for your kind comments.

I am delighted that you had such a positive experience during your visit to Skye Bar and if you are ever considering a marketing role I'd love to chat !!

Hope to see you again in The Bruce.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

After visiting here on a conference. I must say I was very happy with service and ESP the food and wide range of facilities on offer. Little gem would highy recommend. Staff are very friendly and owner is a very jolly man that does his up most to accommodate.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Happitots,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you had such a positive experience.

I sincerely hope that you will visit us again in the future and continue to spread the word !

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stay in the Bruce Hotel every time I am up in Scotland on business matters and have done over the last 2 years.
I have read many of the reviews and I think people should be realistic when rating this Hotel.
Yes it can be old fashioned in places and yes the service can be a little slow in the bar and restaurant, but that apart the Bruce Hotel must rate as the best value Hotel in the Glasgow area.
The bedrooms (and I have stayed on all 3 floors) are all fit for purpose - it may not be The Ritz but neither is it Ritzy prices.
The food in Guys Restaurant is excellent - and I have been through the menu top to bottom.
Breakfast cannot be faulted - standard fruit/yoghurt/juices/cereals plus porridge - then choose from bacon, egg, mushrooms, beans, sausages, potato scones, tomatoes, black pudding and sausage - or have everything! They even have kippers on the breakfast menu. Tea, coffee and toast. How can people moan about lack of choice?
The staff are all very friendly and helpful.
For me any consumer experience equates to value for money and as I said further back in this review I fully believe that the Bruce Hotel offers 100% value for the price paid...... and that is the whole point here - for those who stay at the Bruce and moan about it - get realistic - you are paying 2 star prices and reviewing on 5 star expectations.......or go elsewhere and pay £80 - £150 per night.
Bruce Hotel? I love it!

Room Tip: They are all OK.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Bill T,

Many thanks for your honest review of our hotel.

We do pride ourselves on offering good food, service and accommodation at realistic prices. In todays economic climate it is important that guests receive value for money and I am delighted that your experience proves that this is what we deliver.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future and wish you a happy and prosperous 2014.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed at The Bruce Hotel on Saturday 9th November for the tribute night.We stayed in room 101. This is the second time we have stayed in this room, it still has the same dirty mark on the ceilling it had last year(looks like a bird dropping that went up). The windows havent been washed for months.The beds are like lying in a hamock.The mould around the bath and in the grout would be so easy to clean but that just reflects the standard of cleaning in general within this hotel. We also stayed in the honeymoon suite last year and that isn't much beter on close inspection.
You might wonder why we go back and its because the tribute nights are such good fun, the food at dinner is great and the dj is very professional. The breakfast is a bit poor but if you want a greasy fry up to mend the hangover, dig in.
Just a note to the manager, You need to crack the whip with your domestic and mantainence staff as they are letting your hotel down big time.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker room 101 is right by the lift and stair, easy to nip out for a smoke.
Dear Andysbarbarshop,

Many thanks for the taking the time to offer a review of the hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoy our tribute nights, they have become extremely popular.

I take on board your comments regarding your accommodation. The hotel has been under going a refurbishment programme with many of the bedrooms now completed and more being undertaken this year.

I would be delighted if you contacted me prior to your next visit when I will ensure that you experience one of our updated bedrooms.

If you do not already have our 2014 tribute night programme please contact reception for details.

J McCann (2014)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Booked the bruce for an overnighter with my wife as we were in EK for a party;))
Paid £55 for a double room & was offered breakfast at £5 each (bargain)
We returned to the hotel after the party & retired upstairs with a nightcap in hand.Both of us totally agreed the next morning that we had just experienced the best nights sleep we've ever had in a hotel;))
The breakfast we both ate was fantastic & the choice for cooked breakfast was excellent....we both agreed that our room was extremely clean and well maintained as well.
Our only drawback was that we were unable to eat in the restaurant due to time constraints ;(
I would definitely recommend the bruce hotel for an overnighter as it's extremely good value for money,clean,pleasant staff,well maintained,comfy beds & a great breakfast;)) will defo return here again;))

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Francobhoy,

Many thanks for your feedback.

We pride ourselves on offering good food, service and accommodation at reasonable prices, I am delighted that this was your experience.

I sincerely hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the future.

ayrshire scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Returned to this hotel for tribute night as hasd really enjoyed my previous stay Everything was very good especially the food which was exceptional The air conditioning was on and I was seated in an area where it was particularly cold I asked on three separate occasions for something to be done Finaly I asked the manager and rather than assisting by adjusting it or by having us re seated - not a problem as dinner was over he did nothing and he was quite clear that he did not intend to This put an end to what had been an enjoyable evening

After my first stay I gave this hotel a glowing review and was thanked for it by the manager Could this be the same man !! Very disappointed - Terrible customer service

Dear Jackie T,

Many thanks for your feedback and I'm delighted that you enjoyed the tribute night.

I apologise that you felt the temperature of the room uncomfortable on the night but as I explained the air conditioning was not actually on the evening in question. It is always a difficult task to ensure an optimum temperature for an entire party, 180 on the night in question.

As I explained I would have happily have moved your table but as the act had started this was not possible as it would have affected the enjoyment of other guests.

I hope you will attend another tribute night in the future when I would ask that you contact me personally in order to place your table at your preferred location.

Wishing you a happy and prosperous 2014.

Been to Bruce Hotel? Share your experiences!