“Spa break” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strathaven Road, East Kilbride G75 0QZ, Scotland   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
“Spa break”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went to the Crutherland with friends for a relaxing spa break. Firstly staff not at reception to great us they seemed to be having a cigarette break outside. Took 25 mins to take our lunch order which there was little choice - veg, salmon or beef noodles! Facilities/decor is very tired especially in regard to the price. Positives the whole party thought the treatments where very good but again not to the standard expected. When lunch arrived it was ok, nothing to right home about. Changing are was basic, robes could have being doing with a boil wash as stained from previous guests. Worst part was the shower area, the middle shower unit had the shower gel box lying on the tray as had obviously came away from the wall, some time ago and the was filthy. The staff were friendly but wouldn't be returning there are far better spa's in the Greater Glasgow area for the same price and with far superior quality and facilities. Unfortunately I won't be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear tcostell

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel. It is always our intention to create a relaxing and pleasant experience for our guests and I am sorry that you were disappointed on this occasion.

If you would like to contact me at the hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further.

Yours sincerley

Eileen Newman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

we stayed here overnight whilst visiting friends, Whilst checking in with were told we had been up graded to a suite. A lovely spacious room and made the stay on my husband's
60th birthday night even better. A good choice of breakfast items. very good and helpful staff. We would certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kelvin G

Thank you for your very positive comments following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit.

I have passed on your kind words to the team and we are delighted to have been of service to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Crutherland and we will def be returning. The hotel was gorgeous and the staff were fantastic, they couldn't do enough for us and were all very friendly.... We would like to especially thank Rowen who worked in the cocktail bar, she was so much fun and was extremely good to our daughter.

The food was out of this world and the restaurant manager Craig went out of his way to make sure our fussy daughter got her request of having the same sausages at dinner that she had at breakfast as she loved them!!

We also thoroughly enjoyed the pool and spa. Looking forward to returning again soon..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gillian F

Many thanks for your very positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel. We have a passionate approach to hospitality and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have passed your kind words on to all of the team, and in particular, Rowen and Craig. I was pleased that you enjoyed our food and will ensure that chef and his team are aware of this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Decided to treat my girlfriend to a spa break for her birthday, she knew nothing about it, i was recommened to take her here by a friend, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left all staff could not have helped more, we both enjoyed a spa treatment each while there, swimming pool, steam room and sauna are all great for being in a hotel. We had food in the restaurant and could not fault any of it, service and food were amazing.

We enjoyed our stay so much we booked our anniversary here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Colin S

Many thanks for your very positive comments following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

We have a passionate approach to hospitality and I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and found the staff to be helpful.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed our food and have passed on your kind comments to the team who are delighted to have been of service to you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed for one night, and where immediately impressed with the staff. It was a very hot day, so we called reception and asked for a fan, which they where happy to bring to our room.
The room was fine, had everything we needed, and the bed was comfortable.

The drinks at the bar are very expensive.

Overall, we where happy with our stay, and again highlight the superb service from the hotel staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan M

Many thanks for the very positive comments that you have given following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have a passionate approach to hospitality and I am delighted to read your comments regarding the service you received from our staff. I have passed on your kind words to the team and we are happy to have been of service to you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Al Muharraq, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Macdonald Crutherland House provided us with an excellent stay in East Kilbride and the 4 poster bedroom was great. A warm welcome was received at the hotel by the staff on duty and my room was available early as requested having flown in from Dubai. A young couple who were considering marrying at this hotel wanted to see my room just as I was about to check in so being the gentleman I am I said please go have a look. The most attentive receptionist was rhianna who I believe is now off to work for the Glasgow Thistle.

The cocktail bar service was good and the organising of taxis etc was no trouble at all.

It was 20 pound in a taxi to Hamilton race course and 8 pound in a taxi into east Kilbride for dinner.

It has a lovely garden for walking in and would suit those wanting a quiet break away.

The leisure club was spotless and so was the swimming pool.

I could not find fault with the service at the hotel.

Food and drink slightly over priced but not by much.

Room Tip: ask for an upgraded room to 4 poster or a suite expect to pay 30 quid extra
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear daniel M

Many thanks for the very positive comments that you have posted following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have a passionate approach to hospitality and and I have passed on your kind words to the team who are happy to have been of service to you.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Warwick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here on two separate occasions in a short space of time. Where do I start? You walk into a great big building which you think has got potential but the rooms are very dated. The decor is like it's been there since the 70's, I'm talking bedding and curtains. The showers are all old and not very good at all. I tried to go to the restaurant for dinner on the one night, I was shown my seat but was made to wait even before getting a menu or having a waiter/waitress speak to me when they were faffing about but not achieving much. When I finally got the menu, I had lost patience or interest so I went else where for dinner. Very similar with breakfast, the portion sizes were none existent for the cooked breakfast and everything was such a fuss and seemed really pretentious. Not very good for a business travelling who just wants to have breakfast in the morning with not much time to waste.
The only good thing was the leisure center .. and for that reason alone I may consider staying again but then maybe not

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear adaajoku

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel. Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I am sorry if this was not the case on this occasion.

We have a full new management team here at the hotel including our Restaurant Manager who will take on board your very constructive comments. In terms of our rooms we do contimually upgrade our rooms and had over 25% of our bedroom stock re-furbished late last year.

On a more positive note I am pleased that you enjoyed our wonderful leisure centre. Should you return to the hotel please contact me directly so that I can make your arrangments personally to ensure a memorable stay.

Eileen Newman

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!