“Golden Retriever NEVER AGAIN” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Golden Retriever NEVER AGAIN”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Arrived with my parents and boyfriend on Sunday for lunch and i heard from mum's friends that this place was a nice eating area. so we decided to go there. Well, we parked our car then walked into the golden retriever to find that this woman coming up to us and telling us to get out of the restruant without a single reason. "We're full," she said. "So you have to leave i am afraid." which was a total outright lie as i can see MANY tables which are free. we were totally hungry and we just wanted to sit down. I said "There are many spaces, can't you see that?" "Well, you didn't tell us then." she said. This was terrible. mum's friends came in here to eat in the pastwith a good service! At a restruant you don't have to phone up and tell them unless it says so. Well, i didn't see any signs saying "Sorry, booking only!"

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Fixed Price Menu perfectly acceptable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

A quick midweek lunch at the closest restaurant / pub to home. Previously put off by a slightly offhanded approach a number of years ago but decided to re-visit. The starter of tomato & basil soup was excellent with a nice wholegrain bread accompaniment. I had the fried chicken in a coating with chips & my wife the more healthy trout, salad & new potatoes. Both main courses were fine and by now struggling to have room for dessert. Both went for churros (spanish donuts) with cream, ice cream & chocolate sauce. I enjoyed it more than my wife as I have a very sweet tooth.

Food was perfectly acceptable with good service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Reading, United Kingdom
“Hit and miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have been to The Golden Retriever a few times now as it is very local to where i live and is one of the better resturants in the area. Every time i have been with my partner it has been good quality food, great service at a reasonable price. However, when i have been there with family (4-6 people) the quality rapidly goes down hill. Unfortunatley this has ruined a few evenings as both myself and my partner have been telling both our families about how good this resturant is but they did not expereince this. I cannot put my finger on why the quality is so different but will probably stick to a table for 2 whenever we come back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Small portions, mediocre food, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Unfortunately we had to use the Golden Retriever PH again as the Peacock Farm PH was booked out for a workplace lunchtime gathering, so a table was arranged at the Golden Retriever.
The ales are acceptable but the food is at best mediocre. My Gammon Steak was Child Portion size and I ordered a well done egg. The food arrived and the egg was runny, I was told by the server quote 'It's similar' Hmmmmm hope this give you the idea of the service. Then as a group various people required sauces, this involves another long wait. I hope next time we go back to The Peacock Farm!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Post commissioning luncheon”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The restaurant was freezing cold, with a flaming torch pointing into the fire place to try and ignite the logs - which never happened. The table was grubby and watching the staff clear them it was plain to see why, cursory did not enter into it. Clean napkins were placed over the debris left post clean. Given that this was peas it was difficult to see how it had been missed! The menu looked pleasant and orders were placed. Starters arrived in a reasonable time. We then waited 2 hours for the mains, which had to be chased. Unfortunately the food was unappetising, poorly presented and for my Hunters chicken overlooked and tepid. Would certainly not recommend a visit and a return trip is not planned.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere