“Low Key,fantastic escape” 5 of 5 stars

108 Alcorn Street, Suffolk Park, Byron Bay, New South Wales 2481, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Suffolk Park
“Low Key,fantastic escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Suffolk Park,quiet,peaceful close and yet away from the heart of Byron,beautiful serene surrounds,welcoming,freindly,lovely ambiance and so very relaxing,Tallows beach just across the road beckoning long beach walks,whispering palms surround the private and pretty pool area.casurinas gently rustling in the sea breeze,a true northern coastal escape...so,cosy and quiet,just the ticket to unwind,then up to great food and fun at the famous suffolk park eateries,all within a short stroll....so affordable,no wonder we keep coming back to...Tallows Beach Motel...,highly recommend it for a low key ""break"" ,an iconic position as ""Australias most easterley motel"" ,the owner,,Susie Gilham makes your stay so welcoming... cant wait to go back again

Room Tip: I usually choose to stay out of school holidays,for an escape from Sydney,so freindly,peaceful and c...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Calabasas, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in November. The location is fantastic - right across a small street from the most beautiful beach!!! (There is no view, FYI) Suffolk Park is a nice, quiet area so if you want to relax it's the perfect place but still just a short drive to Byron Bay if you want more action. The motel is a short walk to some restaurants, a bakery and grocery. My only complaint would be the rooms could have been cleaner. The important parts were clean - bathroom, beds, floor. But the desk and nightstands hadn't been dusted in a while and there were ants in the kitchen. Also when staying here I recommend keeping the door shut no matter how badly you may want a breeze. We kept our door open and only the iron outside gate locked and we had some unwelcome cockroach visitors in the middle of the night. Perhaps they would have gotten in anyway, but I think having the door wide open didn't help. I don't fault the motel for having cockroaches because those little buggers seem to be everywhere (saw them in some really nice restaurants too), but it wasn't pleasant. Still, there's no other motel in the area that's nice and quiet with such a great location, so I would stay here again. (I'd just keep the door shut!)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very nice small motel. Great position just a stroll across the road to the beach . Very accommodating owner. Well looked after over the xmas period we were there. Nice room with a small kitchen and annex room to make plenty of room to move around. Would recommend this motel for a nice quite stay. The swimming pool was heated and well looked after with Bali type appearance with seating etc.

Room Tip: Room 7 next to the pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We have just spent 4 nights at this excellent motel which is located opposite the beautiful Tallow's beach and only a 10 minute drive into the town of Byron Bay Yes it is an older style motel and maybe not 5 stars, however we give it 5 stars for attention to detail, the owner Susie made us welcome the moment we arrived until the moment we left. We were very suprised to find on our bed a beautiful box of chocolates for our wedding anniversary. Our accommodation comprised of a self contained room with a bathroom, kitchenette which was very well equipped and included a microwave and fridge, our bedroom was large with a very comfortable queen size bed. The pool and surrounding area is private and fantastic with lovely palms and shrubs. We give Tallow Beach Motel the thumbs up and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
tallowbeach, Owner at Tallow Beach Motel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
thank you for taking the time to write your comments about my motel. we try to keep the gardens pleasant to create the quietness and energy that seems to attract people who prefer to be out of town and yet participate in the attractions that Byron has to offer.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Keeping in mind this is a "M"otel - we were thrilled at the experience. While the rooms are older - they are done up very nicely and the attention to detail and amenities are more than I have experienced at much pricier hotels/holiday homes in Australia. The pool area was well appointed and very quiet. Additionally, the rooms offered much more space (kitchenette, sitting area) compared to a traditional hotel room.

The motel is right across the street from an empty, beautiful beach - which allows dogs! We had a great time getting thrown around in the giant waves. I would highly recommend the Suffolk Park area for those who enjoy the amenities that Byron offers (restaurants, shops etc.) but hate the crowds and traffic. That being said, there is a great bakery, grocery store, indian restaurant, and high quality pub a five to ten minute walk from the motel.

All in all - the goldilocks solution. A great, affordable little spot within driving distance of the Byron "scene" - yet with its own charms and in our opinion, a better beach. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here on my next trip to the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
susie971, Owner at Tallow Beach Motel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for writing your comments in such detail. as we are tucked away it is most helpful for guests to have some idea of this area
Forrest, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I chanced upon this little motel by accident because the local caravan park attendant was awol. Susie instantly made me feel welcome and although I had planned on leaving the next day I kept finding myself booking night after night and when I finally left I felt as though I was leaving a sanctuary. The Bali inspired boutique brought a sense of calm I had not felt for a long time and the sound of the ocean gently pounding the surf lulled me to sleep. It is also a short walk through a bike/walking track to the the local shops and directly across the road from the beach. I fully recommend Tallow Beach Motel to everyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Your comments are much appreciated
Nimbin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Nice pool and gardens especially the flowering Jasmine that smelled so lovely as I had my morning cuppa by the pool. It's right across the road from a stunning beach, I fell asleep to the sound of the ocean which is fantastic being a mountain dweller.

Came to the Byron area for peace and quite and peace of mind, provided me the perfect location for my "time out", next time I will bring the kids.

Room Tip: Sun room was a great place to chill and read. Was there a restaurant?
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Tallow Beach Motel? Share your experiences!