“I would not recommend” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Montville, Connecticut
“I would not recommend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I booked this hotel so that I would be at the airport for an early flight the next day. First of all, the hotel is not at the airport but a few miles away. There is a free shuttle bus but as the other reviewers have stated, it doesn't come often and when it comes there are way too many people waiting than there is room. On the way there, I was lucky as a single traveler that I got on as I sat next to the driver, but the van was packed with folks actually standing up. On the way back to the airport the next morning, there was at least 50 people waiting with many folks having multiple pieces of luggage. I ended up taking a taxi instead of seeing how they were going to deal with the volume. The taxi by the way, cost me 20 francs for a 2 mile trip! But at least I got to the airport on time.

The room was okay but very expensive. The room service menu is quite sparse and there was really nothing for a quick bite before bed. The choices were mostly full course meals that I wasn't interested in at 10 pm. I would have been happy with breakfast choices (I know very American to eat breakfast for dinner), but they were not available.

The staff was nice but I won't book this hotel again.

Room Tip: I don't have any advice. I had a nice view of the bus parking lot, but I wasn't really there...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hiltonzurichairport, General Manager at Hilton Zurich Airport, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your stay at the Hilton Zurich Airport and your comment on Tripadvisor.
We are sorry to read about your disappointment in regards to our location and that we could not fully meet your expectations concerning our shuttle bus service. We regret that the shuttle bus was full and you had to take a taxi. Please accept our sincerest apologies and we gladly noticed your helpful feedback for future considerations.
We also very much regret, that we could not meet your expectations in regards to our room service menu. We have gladly noticed your feedback and we will think about possible changes in the future. Thank you very much for having brought this to our attention.

Concerning our prices we can inform you that they are within the average of other hotels in the area of Zurich and we regret your disappointment in this respect.
We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon to the Hilton Zurich Airport.
Michael Reinhardt, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I expected much more from the Hilton. I thought I would treat myself to a little luxury at the Hilton on my last night in Europe, but Hilton Zurich Airport was a big disappointment. The shuttle comes every 30 minutes and because it is not only shuttling guests from the airport, but also any guests needing to get to the train and the city, it is completely inadequate in frequency and size. The shuttle was packed after waiting 20 minutes with others for it at the airport. The pickup location and cost (free) are convenient, but those are the only good things I can say about it. The shuttle first stops at what I found out was a Hilton Apartment building (with a Hilton logo on the front) but this was not explained to the passengers, so I and 2 others exited the van in error only to watch the bus close its door and drive off with our bags! I ran the driver down and got him to come back. Obviously, this was quite upsetting! No apology came , but the driver pointed to a sign which I had not noticed in the van about the 1st and 2nd shuttle stops (a simple announcement would have been much more effective). Once at the hotel, it was chaos in the lobby at 3pm. A large group was in the middle of checking in and there was no place to stand in line.. One person was helping a roughly defined "line" of around 6 individual travelers waiting to check in. I waited 30 minutes which I find completely unacceptable. Considering that this hotel's discounted rate is around $300 per night, I expected much better. Certainly my other European Hilton experiences had in Prague and Dubrovnik had been much much better. The long walk to the room including worn out carpet and soiled walls. The room itself was no better than Holiday Inn quality, what I would consider low budget, not Hilton standard. I called and upgraded for 95 Francs ($100) to executive room which included internet and club lounge. This was a good value only because the internet alone (at 25 Francs) and the cost of drinks and food were otherwise outrageously expensive! So the room in the other side of the hotel was no bigger, but better appointed than the standard room. Overall this hotel was a huge disappointment and not at all what I expected. It was the most expensive hotel of 3 week tour through Europe, and the biggest let-down. I could not help but feel like I was being overcharged for a very ordinary / basic hotel. I know that there was no way that the tour groups crowding the lobby were paying anything close to the $300 /night rate that was the supposedly discounted rate here. Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hiltonzurichairport, General Manager at Hilton Zurich Airport, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest

We very much regret that we could not meet your expectations in various areas. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences regarding the shuttle service and the check-in which obviously do not reflect our usually high service standards which you can rightfully expect at a Hilton Hotel. Please be assured that we will discuss your comments with our team in order to take corrective actions.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon to the Hilton Zurich Airport in order to show you our true Hilton hospitality and standards.

Atlanta, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This Hotel charged way too much, for way too little. The room and especially the bathroom were dirty. There was hair all over the bathroom...and it wasn't my color. The bed was very uncomfortable. Bottom line, too much money for too little hotel. I have stayed at 5 other hotels near the Zurich Airport that were a far better value.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hiltonzurichairport, General Manager at Hilton Zurich Airport, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest
We very much regret the inconveniences caused to you in regards of the cleanliness of your room.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for this isolated lapse, which does not reflect our usual high service and cleanliness standards
which you can rightfully expect from a Hilton Hotel. We have taken corrective actions and intensified our internal control procedures.

Zurich and we regret your disappointment in this respect.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon to
the Hilton Zurich Airport. We will make sure that you will get an upgrade to one
of our nice and big Relaxation Room in order to show you our true Hilton hospitality and standards.
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed in hotel in July for a business meeting. Hotel shuttle is small, and rare. Sometimes you have to wait 2-3 cars to reach hotel.... Location...? Nothing special - a bit too far for an airport hotel, and very far from the city. Rooms are very small, like and old hotel, restored a bit... Bathroom small and old fashioned but for two... is very uncomfortable. Room average, eventually the bed is good quality (good sleep)!
Breakfast boring, a lot of noisy people in the restaurant and the lobby.

All together: nothing impressive, nothing to wish to go back, and nothing to recommend. one would expect much more from a Hiilton...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hiltonzurichairport, General Manager at Hilton Zurich Airport, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest
We are sorry to read that we could not fully meet your expectations concerning our rooms and bathrooms. Your comments have been noted for future reviews. We are delighted that you liked the quality of our beds.
We regret your disappointment concerning the size and schedule of our first-come-first-serve shuttle bus service and kindly ask you to accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. Your comments have been shared with our shuttle bus operator for analysis.
Please also accept our apologies for the exceptional situation at our breakfast.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The free shuttle bus to and from the airport is one of the best feature of this hotel. The staff are very helpful, professional, and friendly. Rooms are small but have everything you need. The room I was in was kept quite clean. Be aware that if you are staying near or below meeting rooms you may be kept awake by the noise of the staff setting up the rooms well into the night. The main difficulty with the hotel is that it is not near restaurants or shops. Be aware that breakfast costs ~$40 and Sunday brunch costs ~$70. Room service was fast and professional, but is also expensive. I recommend taking the shuttle bus back to the airport and buying food in the train station area--there is a supermarket and there are many restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hiltonzurichairport, General Manager at Hilton Zurich Airport, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest
We are delighted that you generally enjoyed your stay. Such comments are very motivating and we have gladly shared your nice input with our team.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Every long trip ought to end with a stay hotel like this. We stayed here the last night of a two-week European road trip before we flew back to the United States in the morning. This was an excellent decision.

As Hilton Honors members, we stayed in one of the executive rooms. I have lived in apartments that were much smaller and not nearly as nice as this hotel room. The bed was enormous and comfortable. Ditto for the deep jet bath tub. The desk and workspace were spacious and convenient. The gym was nicely appointed, with several ellipticals. There was an electric tea kettle in the room, which I love.

The service was excellent, the food at the restaurant was good, and the airport shuttle was supremely convenient.

It wasn’t close to downtown Zurich and may not be good for people hoping to stay a while and go sight-seeing. But perfectly fit our needs as a place to rest and recuperate before flying home. We felt pampered and relaxed. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hiltonzurichairport, General Manager at Hilton Zurich Airport, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Such wonderful and kind words! Thank you very much for your feedback which is very motivating and we have gladly shared your nice input with our team.

Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Good location near terminal.
Hotel bus service is frequent and direct.
Open plan check-in, bar and restaurant which can be noisy.
Restaurant is excellent for evening dining with large windows affording excellent views towards Zurich.
Breakfast in the restaurant can be very busy, noisy and uncomfortable.
Expensive overall.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hiltonzurichairport, General Manager at Hilton Zurich Airport, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest
We are delighted that you generally enjoyed your visit.
However, we very much regret your disappointment concerning the quietness of restaurant which you considered to be noisy at particular times of the day. Please accept our apologies for this exceptional situation.
Concerning our prices in general we can inform you that those are well within the average of other hotels in the area of Zurich.
Michael Reinhardt, General Manager

Been to Hilton Zurich Airport? Share your experiences!