“convenience over cleanliness?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport

You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Zurich Airport, Opfikon 8058, Switzerland (Formerly Radisson SAS)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Opfikon
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“convenience over cleanliness?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and checking out the Radisson Blu website, I was really looking forward to staying here, hoping it would be a nice way to end the trip. Plus, I knew I would be rushed the following morning to catch my flight out of Zurich, and this option allowed me to casually head to the airport and check-in.

After finding my way through the underground passageways from the train station to the hotel, I checked in and went up to my room on the fourth floor. I had requested a view of the airport (at an extra charge) because the picture on the website made it look pretty interesting. But, in my opinion, I would highly advise that you opt out of paying for one of these rooms unless (perhaps) you have one higher up in the building; the view from the fourth floor is pretty pathetic!

But, this wasn’t the worst thing... What immediately hit me upon entering the room was the horrible odour that was poorly masked by the Swiss equivalent to Fabreeze. After a few minutes I thought I would get used to it, but I didn't. The closest description I can make is that it smelled like dog-breath with the hint of peppermint (as if the dog was given a breath mint). I ventured off to Zurich’s city centre for a few hours and came back to the same wall of stench I had originally been slapped in the face with upon entering the room. I couldn't take it, nor could I pinpoint exactly where the smell was emanating from...

I should also mention that the room was not at all as clean and new as the pictures would lead you to believe. There were stains on pretty much everything, and the cupboard drawers even had some kind of pink candy smeared on them, not to mention the light switch that had something brown-ish smeared on it...Thankfully I packed some sanitary wipes and wiped down the light switch and door-knobs (I wasn’t taking any chances at that point). I also checked the bed for not only bed bugs, but a dead body under the mattress (like in the movie “4 Rooms”...at least that would have accounted for the odd smell). I found neither, thankfully!

I went down to complain about the room (mostly about the stench) and they sent the cleaning lady up about 15 minutes later. I tried to explain to her that there was an odour in the room, but she didn't speak a word of English (or French for that matter). After a few minutes of pantomiming my way through the conversation, I gave up; the language barrier between us was almost as thick as the barrier of stink present at the entrance to my room. She left, and I sat in my room shaking my head in disbelief.

I went back down to the front desk and a woman kindly exchanged my room with one on the other side of the hotel (facing the highway), and removed the extra $15 charge for the airport view. This new room smelled better though was still scented with that same peppermint smell as before. It was also still somewhat dirty due to the residue on the floor tiles of the shower, and the random assortment of stains on the carpet. The view was better as well, even though it was of a highway.

For a newer hotel, I certainly expected it to be a bit cleaner...
I do have to mention that the restaurant at the back of the hotel lobby was very good - Very nice/accommodating staff in there, and fantastic food! The wine-tower, although a bit gimmicky, was pretty impressive given that the levitating women acrobatically maneuvered themselves through a rather narrow gap between a pane of glass and a backlit tower of wine/champagne. And, they do this repeatedly throughout the night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Radisson-Blu-Zurich, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest

At this point I would like to thank you for taking the time to give such detailed feedback. Constructive criticism is very important and I am grateful to you for pointing out all the aspects which did not please you as our guest.

Regarding the smell, as we are located right at the airport we guarantee our guest a peaceful night. This however comes with the fact that one cannot open the windows. I have forwarded your comment regarding the cleanliness on to the respective department.

We are nevertheless glad you enjoyed your meal at our restaurant.

We hope you had a safe onward travel.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Werner Knechtli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed one night before a very early departure the next morning. The hotel (public areas and the rooms) are absolutely beautiful and even border on luxurious! Bathroom was lovely. The bed was a little hard. We didn't eat in the restaurant or enjoy the breakfast because of our very early departure. Nice TV selection with quite a few English speaking channels, in contrast to our experience elsewhere in Switzerland. The lady at the front desk was lovely and couldn't do enough to help us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Radisson-Blu-Zurich, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Here is a big thank you for your very positive review. We appreciate it and are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope next time you will be able to enjoy one of our restaurants and find some time to indulge in our Super Breakfast Buffet in the morning.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Best wishes,

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My flight from Rome on Swiss was delayed, I missed my connections to Canada & this resulted in a 24-hour layover in Zurich. Swiss put me up at the Radisson Blu hotel at the airport.

This was not a voluntary stay but the delay was compensared by spending a nignt in an excellent hotel. The room was spacious and vey well-appointed with all the amenities one expects from a 5-star luxury hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable and had soft sheets and mellow pillows, the lighting in the room was excellent and allowed for comfortable reading (a rarity in hotel rooms which tend to have cave-like lighting). The hotel's public areas were good, even providing an acrobatic show. The dining in the Italian restaurant was excellent.

If I had chosen a hotel in Zurich, I doubt that I could have made a better choise..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Radisson-Blu-Zurich, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for this very positive feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us - despite missing your flight to Canada.

We are happy you got to enjoy our FIlini restaurant and take a look at our Wine Angels.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Best regards,

Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My second visit, the first was for a meetin in December last year. It is an excellent hotel, very conveniently situated for the Airport. You connect without having to go outside at all. Good value for money although the food is pricey but it is Switzerland! Service, comfort and quality makes it good value for money

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Radisson-Blu-Zurich, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest

A big thank you for your comments on this page. We are happy you found your way back to our hotel for the second time.

Thank you also for spending some time at our restaurant.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Usually airport hotels are strictly functional. Radisson Blu at Zurich airport goes the extra mile in all matters - lobby with its super sky ceiling gives you the sense that you stepped into something futuristic. Checkin is efficient. Restaurant food and wine selection is surprisingly good and extensive. Rooms are spacious with international TV channels and bathrooms are very spacious too. From the airport you can get to the hotel very fast and you can leave 45minutes before flight time and make your flight comfortably. Can't do better with an airport hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for the positive review. We are happy to see you enjoyed your stay and felt welcomed and at home - something we strive to achieve.

We hope you had a safe onward journey and that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Sometimes you want to simply get of your plane and get to your hotel room as soon as you can with the minimum amount of fuss, so that you can do all the super-important things that middle management requires you to do. If in Zurich, then this hotel is ideally suited to that need. It’s a short walk from the airport, no shuttle bus needed, good rooms, well furnished, completed to a high standard, good compact gym, pleasant staff, and dotted with just enough small elements of pretentious design so that at least you can pretend you’re not in a cattle market, waiting to climb beyond the middle management ladder. The Club Sandwich was however not to expectations, a disappointment in an otherwise pleasant experience.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Radisson-Blu-Zurich, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comment and honest feedback. We are glad you took advantage of our proximity to the airport - a plus many benefit from.

Thank you also for your comment regarding the Club Sandwich. I have forwarded this onto the respective team.

We would be delighted to welcome you back again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

For an on-site airport hotel the room was extremely comfortable, clean and quiet. Large bathroom, great selection of TV channels, comfortable bed and lots of pillows. I ate in one of the restraunts and the food was top tier. Perhaps a little expensive but this is an airport hotel, it is in Zurich and it is in Switzerland so on reflection I think the meal was priced as expected.

Reception staff were friendly and efficient and all in all I was able to get a great night sleep prior to my international flight home.

As a side note, I'm not sure what the "wine tower" next to the bar is all about, or the ladies that are in climbing harnesses connected to wires that zip up and down this very tall tower to retrieve bottles of wine that are being ordered by the guests. However, it does seems to fit right in for some reason and brought a little bit of curiosity to my stay and perhaps it brings entertainment for others. You will just have to decide for yourself.

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Good you had a look at the Wine Tower - our very own 16m tall wine cellar!

Thank you also for visiting one of our restaurants.

We hope you had a pleasant onward journey and would be happy to welcome you back at our hotel in the future.

Best wishes,

Werner Knechtli

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport? Share your experiences!