“Great Location!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cavalieri Art Hotel

Save Saved
You added Cavalieri Art Hotel to your Saves list
Cavalieri Art Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Water's Edge Spinola Road, Saint Julian's, Island of Malta STJ 3019, Malta   |
Ranked #13 of 31 hotels in Saint Julian's
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The location is excellent, and the pool is great. Rooms are clean, but there was a lot of noise from 7am on wards from other guests banging doors, room cleaners and outside traffic. The 2 women bar staff were very slow and rude however they did make excellent cocktails. I think it has the makings of a great hotel if staff in general had better customer service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

863 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Polish first
MALTA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Food(Buffet) 100% Service 100% I mean even the ashtray they change occasionally and if the cutlery falls on the ground by mistake, they won`t even let you pick it up. Really impressed by the service. Moneywise we weren`t charged for the coffee in the end, and all mothers were given a Free Gift, and very reasonably priced. Drinks ordered came in a flash. Perfect harmony.
I highly recommend A+++++

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights, rooms tired and a bit basic, but functional {we had a marine view on the 6th floor which was fine, but if we returned would book a bay view}. Location was fantastic {would return for this reason alone}.Breakfast was fine {something for everyone}, but evening meal was awful, {we only ate there 2 evenings out of 5}.Bar staff were excellent {special thank you to Edward}. Reception staff very abrupt { with the exception of Paul, the ladies should really all be made to go on a customer service training, maybe Edward could head this.} Overall would return for the location as mentioned before.

Room Tip: Book a bay view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Think I would go back if I could forget how we were treated when we and a very large number of guests got tummy bugs. It was only when we got better and spoke to other guests we found out that all of us had reported it but were told that nobody else was sick.Took 3 hours to get toilet roll to our room and four hours to get water and sprite whilst we were stuck in bed for obvious reasons!Their denial and slow reaction to a serious situation left a lot to be desired. However, if their reaction had been different and they admitted there was a problem, quickly deep cleaned areas and supplied hand disinfectant etc without being told they should do it, my review would be different. I still might go back.

• Stayed May 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I'm going to start with the good points.... The room was very clean and so was the bathroom.

Now for the rest.....
Tucked out of the way in the shadow of the Hilton, located on what would seem to be a back road.
This was my second stay here this year, on my way to Tripoli and Air Malta put me here.
For those of you in the UK, it is the Maltese cousin of the Travel Lodge. Basic to say the least.

Reception: If you have trouble walking, then you need to avoid reception.. lots of stairs. The reception took over 15 mins to check me in... I got the impression that no-one knew HOW to check me in.
The reception staff... while I understand that they all speak better English than my Maltese.. I had difficulty in understanding them, which is surprising as this hotel has a 4 star rating
While in reception, there is a BIG glass window that hasn't seen a window cleaning in years. It was black and dirty... you would have thought that as it's the start of the season SOMEONE would have cleaned it.

Corridor to room: Once out of the lift, I remember why I didn't like this hotel.... extremely bad lighting.. I counted only TWO 40watt (yes I checked) lights in my half of the corridor.. Health and Safety would have a field day!!

Room: Very clean.... and that is it. Old and worn furniture, surprising as this hotel, so I was told has only been open 2 years!!
Room A/C.. DOES NOT WORK.. so a VERY hot night for me. On arrival I was given and envelope, which I opened AFTER I called reception, ref my A/C as the room got hotter. Reception told me to switch of the A/C as it was controlled centrally as per the letter (in the envelope) and I had NO CONTROL over the temperature in my room.
Internet: providing you want to sit on top of 50 or so other guests in reception all trying to use the ONLY wireless internet in the hotel... I suggest you not worry about updating your Facebook profile. There is NO INTERNET IN THE ROOMS.
Room security: No chain or door restrain and the door lock did not work... check your room before accepting.

Room power and lighting. The room card key is required to switch on your room lights.. mine didn't work as it kept tripping out the breaker... fortunately I knew what the problem was and reset the breaker.... Maintenance??
Thank God I was only staying the one night.

Food: Last time I was in this hotel, the breakfast was basically a free for all.... dirty dishes on tables... unhappy staff...
So, dinner.
I was met by a very nice woman Katryna... the dining room hostess... charming and very friendly.
We immediately got into the problems I had last time.. and she understood and her mission was to turn the hotel around.
The food was OK... not brilliant, to be honest I've had better in Business class, but plenty of it and hot. The restaurant is tired and old fashioned, fold-away tables, old wooden tables plus young, in-experienced, VERY unhappy and rude waiting staff.
Young and in-experienced staff.. I asked for water, I got a SMALL bottle of water and the waiter presented it to my as if it was a bottle of Red wine, insisting I try a small drop he had poured in my glass!!
Unhappy.. NEVER saw one of the staff smile.
Rude... I make a point of saying 'Thank you' to the staff when they clear away a finished plate, each time I did it.. not a word of acknowledgement.... VERY rude in my opinion!!

Would I go back? Given the opportunity to make that decision I would not, but as I'm at the mercy of Air Malta I might have to.. but I will NOT be a happy camper if I do!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Weymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Love the position of this hotel, get a room overlooking the bay for best outlook. Sitting in the late afternoon watching the fishing boats going out and back. So relaxing. Room a little tired perhaps but standard of cleanliness superb. Most of all go to Malta it is magical

Room Tip: choose bay facing rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pontefract, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Just stayed here for a week,if you don't mind being woken up from the early hours of the morning until breakfast time every day then its fine.Also don't be fooled by the picture in the brochure because that's the only positive thing I can say about this hotel.The room was dirty,water leaked from the toilet flush,there was black mould on the hand rail in the bath,the floor tiles were cracked.The bed was uncomfortable and the pillows old and lumpy,we had to ask for a change.The service was poor at best,we had to throw away food because the minibar stopped working,and despite asking for it to be fixed in the morning it was still not done in the evening.For a so called 4 star hotel,it didn't fit my idea of one.If you want to pay for this standard of hotel,I suggest you look elsewhere.Not good value for money .Review by Ian from Pontefract

Room Tip: look elsewhere if you want to pay this price
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cavalieri Art Hotel? Share your experiences!