I'm going to start with the good points.... The room was very clean and so was the bathroom.
Now for the rest.....
Tucked out of the way in the shadow of the Hilton, located on what would seem to be a back road.
This was my second stay here this year, on my way to Tripoli and Air Malta put me here.
For those of you in the UK, it is the Maltese cousin of the Travel Lodge. Basic to say the least.
Reception: If you have trouble walking, then you need to avoid reception.. lots of stairs. The reception took over 15 mins to check me in... I got the impression that no-one knew HOW to check me in.
The reception staff... while I understand that they all speak better English than my Maltese.. I had difficulty in understanding them, which is surprising as this hotel has a 4 star rating
While in reception, there is a BIG glass window that hasn't seen a window cleaning in years. It was black and dirty... you would have thought that as it's the start of the season SOMEONE would have cleaned it.
Corridor to room: Once out of the lift, I remember why I didn't like this hotel.... extremely bad lighting.. I counted only TWO 40watt (yes I checked) lights in my half of the corridor.. Health and Safety would have a field day!!
Room: Very clean.... and that is it. Old and worn furniture, surprising as this hotel, so I was told has only been open 2 years!!
Room A/C.. DOES NOT WORK.. so a VERY hot night for me. On arrival I was given and envelope, which I opened AFTER I called reception, ref my A/C as the room got hotter. Reception told me to switch of the A/C as it was controlled centrally as per the letter (in the envelope) and I had NO CONTROL over the temperature in my room.
Internet: providing you want to sit on top of 50 or so other guests in reception all trying to use the ONLY wireless internet in the hotel... I suggest you not worry about updating your Facebook profile. There is NO INTERNET IN THE ROOMS.
Room security: No chain or door restrain and the door lock did not work... check your room before accepting.
Room power and lighting. The room card key is required to switch on your room lights.. mine didn't work as it kept tripping out the breaker... fortunately I knew what the problem was and reset the breaker.... Maintenance??
Thank God I was only staying the one night.
Food: Last time I was in this hotel, the breakfast was basically a free for all.... dirty dishes on tables... unhappy staff...
I was met by a very nice woman Katryna... the dining room hostess... charming and very friendly.
We immediately got into the problems I had last time.. and she understood and her mission was to turn the hotel around.
The food was OK... not brilliant, to be honest I've had better in Business class, but plenty of it and hot. The restaurant is tired and old fashioned, fold-away tables, old wooden tables plus young, in-experienced, VERY unhappy and rude waiting staff.
Young and in-experienced staff.. I asked for water, I got a SMALL bottle of water and the waiter presented it to my as if it was a bottle of Red wine, insisting I try a small drop he had poured in my glass!!
Unhappy.. NEVER saw one of the staff smile.
Rude... I make a point of saying 'Thank you' to the staff when they clear away a finished plate, each time I did it.. not a word of acknowledgement.... VERY rude in my opinion!!
Would I go back? Given the opportunity to make that decision I would not, but as I'm at the mercy of Air Malta I might have to.. but I will NOT be a happy camper if I do!
- Also Known As:
- Cavalieri Hotel Saint Julians
- Hotel Cavalieri Malta
- Cavalieri Hotel Malta
- Cavalieri Art Hotel Malta
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cavalieri Hotel is a four star Malta Hotel set in a quiet and unique location directly overlooking the popular and picturesque St. Julians Bay, Malta. The Malta Hotel is also located on the doorstep of the Portomaso Yacht Marina and within easy walking distance to the popular resort’s attractions. These attractions include Malta’s most popular nightlife area, the Dragonara Casino and Spinola Bay – the heart of St. Julians. The seafront and beautiful promenade with its many bars, restaurants and shops as well as the main bus routes to Valletta and Sliema and to the Gozo ferry terminal are all close by.The Cavalieri Hotel faces south and is right on the water’s edge. It is modern, stylish with comfortable furnishings and attractive décor and consists of well appointed hotel rooms with full sea views of St. Julians Bay or the Portomaso Yacht Marina and the sea beyond. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, getaroom.com and HostelBookers so you can book your Cavalieri Art Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.