“Highly recommended!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cavalieri Art Hotel

You added Cavalieri Art Hotel to your Saves list
Cavalieri Art Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Water's Edge Spinola Road, Saint Julian's, Island of Malta STJ 3019, Malta   |
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Co. Donegal, Ireland
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just spent a week here, and found it an excellent hotel. Rooms were cleaned every day with fresh linen.Tea, coffee making, hairdryer and safe, all in room. Breakfast had all tastes catered for and plenty of food. My husband asked for porridge and it was freshly made with milk. Nothing was a problem for the staff who were very helpful and friendly. Although the weather outside was cold, the hotel was wonderfully warm. Very pleasant and relaxing inside and out. Very convenient base for sightseeing and loads of restaurants close by. Facilities were excellent, and would definitely stay in it again!

Room Tip: Ask for balcony overlooking bay and pool area. Gets the sun.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We upgraded to a sea view room which was worth every cent. The view is the best thing about this hotel. The rooms were clean when we arrived but not well serviced. If it weren't for our dirty towels being refolded we wouldn't have noticed they had come. Unfortunately our stay was tainted from the beginning by the reception staff who were both rude and unhelpful. We didn't feel very comfortable at all. No information was provided for us regarding the area or the hotel until we asked. The concierge came across as very abrupt and we actively looked elsewhere to book our activities. The would possibly benefit from some extra customer service training especially considering how many other accommodation options there are in the area. The other big drawdown of the hotel was the temperature control. Our room was either freezing or very hot. As a result it was a very uncomfortable few nights sleep. Overall the hotel was good for the price considering the view. However, for a relaxing, comfortable and carefree holiday we pay a little more and look elsewhere next time we come.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurrieq, Malta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

It is very beautiful from inside because it is new and modern. The food was good but we went to various four star hotel and this was the most disappointed one. The a/c was turned on at 6pm thus we spend around 4 hours in a cold room since outside was a bad weather. We booked a room with a double bed but we found to beds seperated from each other. In the website there was written that there was wifi access but when we went we were told that free wifi is only at ground floor level. The receptioninsts were all forigners and we had to go and ask for information because they did not explain anything to us on our arrival.

Still, the breakfast buffet was very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I really liked this hotel and would definitely stay here again if I was staying in St Julians. The view from the bay view rooms is fabulous and a pleasant stroll along the sea front takes you quickly to the bars and restaurants of the very pretty St Julians bay.

The rooms are very large with two double beds and lots of wardrobe space, good desk and other occasional storage drawers and cupboards. I found it very clean and was meticulously tidied, cleaned and replenished each day.

I got a great deal traveling in January which included dinner in the evening. I have to say that I rarely book half board when traveling as I prefer to try various local restaurants and would not choose half board basis if I stayed again as the food was not to my taste and the dining room being rather bright and austere at night. However it worked well for breakfast (which was mostly excellent with lots of choice).

I do think the management should explore fitting wifi throughout the hotel rooms as the bar area was filled day, night and into the early hours with people sat with their ipads and laptops. These people were clearly not spending money in the bar and did not really help create a pleasant bar environment where I would be happy to go for a cocktail... not a problem for me as there is no shortage of bars in the area but I feel the hotel is losing major additional revenue. (the outside covered area looked like it would be lovely in the summer)

For only 5 euro's per day it is possible to get a wired internet connection in the room which was excellent and I was amazed that so many people would choose to sit around the reception for hours on end rather than pay such a small amount per day to be able to relax in their room whilst browsing the internet and at much higher speeds?

The weather in January wasn't the best for sunbathing so the pool area was not set up as it would be in the summer, however I can imagine it being fabulous during the summer, right next to the sea and there was a very large number of sun loungers and it seemed that there would be food and bar services outside as well (this could make the evening dining possibilities more attractive too)

I found all the staff polite and efficient (not anything more except for the reception staff who were very helpful). There was constant maintenance (not intrusive) being done around the hotel so it obviously well run. Parking would be a bit of a problem during the summer as I got the last space several times out of season. There is a car park near the Hilton hotel behind which could be an alternative not too far away.

In summary I would definitely recommend the Cavalieri for it's rooms, cleanliness and location. My tip would be to make sure you get a bay view room or at least a marina view on one of the higher floors.

Room Tip: Bay view or upper floors on the back would overlook the Hilton marina (the lower floors would not ha...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sofia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for four nights over the new year (2012). We flew from Sofia on an early flight arriving at the hotel at 9.30 am. Now I didn't expect to be able to check in so early but asked if it would be possible to be checked in if the room became available before the designated 14.00 hours check in time. But no effort was made even though I saw that the room had been cleaned by 11 am.

When we did check in, the room was a good size, overlooking the bay with a beautiful view. However the TV didn't work, the phone didn't work and it took 2 hours before it was fixed and only when I went again to reception and insisted on the maintenance man came as soon as possible. He was actually very efficient as we found out when we tried to use the shower. The hot water pressure was not sufficient to overcome the mixer control. so you could not have a hot shower. He changed the mixer, and all was well, but how long had this been like this??

Next morning, I went downstairs to do two things, rent a car and inquire about the Beauty/Massage Salon. I found that there was no one at the car rental desk and the Beauty?massage Salon was closed, although they both should have been open according to signs displaying the opening hours. Once again I asked about both at reception and was told that the hotel had nothing to do with either facility. I protested saying that as these are facilities that are mentioned on the hotel website, the hotel should ensure that the guests can avail themselves of the facilities as advertised. Unfortunately, the reception desk staff, one young lady in particular had no idea how to deal with negative comments about the hotel.

On a positive note, we were on half board and found that the restaurant was excellent, the buffet breakfast was what one would expect for this class of hotel, a good choice of food. The dinner buffet was very good and the staff were very helpful and efficient.

The new years eve buffet was excellent, during the dinner there was a very duet entertaining the diners. When the meal was over, the entertainment continued in the foyer. This was where there was a problem, there was just not enough room or seats available for the guests of the hotel and people who had come in for the evening. Patio seats were brought in, but really, the planning of the evening left a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: Best views are the Bay View rooms, we were on the seond floor and it was quiet, except for the fact...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I was paying a quick visit to Malta and could not believe how cheap this hotel was. 2 nights B&B in a sea view room for 46 euros. An absolute bargain!

The hotel is located down a quiet road round the corner from the Bay. It's only about 5-10 minutes walk to the lively Paceville bars and numerous eateries.

This is certainly not a 4 star hotel by UK standards, although I was still happy (when considering the price I paid!). My room was large, with 2 double beds. The decor was a bit dated but the view from the balcony was sensational. It's definitely worth paying a little bit more to upgrade to these sea view rooms.

Although, there's no free wifi in the rooms, the foyer has a free access with a good signal. There's also a couple of Internet PCs for residents.

As I was very busy during my stay, I didn't get time to use a lot of the facilities: restaurants, swimming pool etc.

I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Fabulous access to all of St Julians Bay and Paceville. Nice views over the bay from the restaurant terrace and swimming pool. Rooms very nice, with all facilities. The gym is basic but it is there to use if you want it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Cavalieri Art Hotel? Share your experiences!