“Fabulous Hotel in a very central location close to all amenities!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Malta

You added InterContinental Malta to your Saves list
InterContinental Malta
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St George's Bay, Saint Julian's, Island of Malta STJ 3310, Malta   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Weybridge
“Fabulous Hotel in a very central location close to all amenities!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

We were booked into Suites on Malta through Interval International on a 'Getaway' and found that the Diamond Suites were part of the Intercontinental Hotel in St Julians, Malta.
The place was fabulous on entry with a lovely lounge and reception. We arrived in the night which was not a problem for the hotel. The concierge took our luggage to our room on a large trolley which was really helpful.
We were in suite 570 which is very spacious. One bedroom with very comfy bed and large bathroom attached. In the lounge was a sofabed for the kids and another bathroom off the kitchen area. We had a flat screen tv in the lounge and the bedroom which was useful when we wanted to watch the news and the kids wanted Nickolodeon.
Unfortunately, on arrival, there was no bedding provided for the kids on the sofa bed but the housekeeping dept quickly rectified the situation and helped make up the bed.
In the morning we discovered that we had the smallest balcony only big enough for 2 chairs. The other balconies were slightly larger and fitted 4 chairs. We overlooked the Eden Cinema and bowling complex which was very noisy at night and not a pretty view in the day either. We requested to move but Interval were unable to do this as the vacant appartments had not been banked by the owners and so may have arrived at any time.
If we go here again, we would definitely request a garden view balcony and apartment.
The facilities in the hotel were great. There was a huge gym which my husband used daily, an indoor pool, jacuzzi and sauna. The kids loved the indoor pool when it was too breezy outside and there were loungers all around to sit and relax. Towels are provided both at the indoor and outdoor pools which saved us bringing any with us.
The food is excellent in all the hotels restaurants and as a Diamond resort member/Interval member, we received 20% off all our bills in the restaurants! Even room service which was such a treat one night!
The hotel also has its own little beach 2 minutes down the road and again the towels are provided and there is no charge for the use of beds and umbrella. Not a large beach if the children want to play but good for relaxing and reading a book.
All in all, this is a fabulous resort and the children didn't want to leave to come home. We would go again but request a garden view room. Shame it doesn't have tennis courts but we used the courts of a neighbouring hotel which was good.
We had a lovely holiday!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stalybridge, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Just to be warned. We had booked to stay here for 1 week's holiday recently, but unfortunately on our arrival in Malta were informed that the Hotel Intercontinental had overbooked by 40 rooms! We were transferred to another hotel in a completely different area to where we had planned.
As this was our first trip to Malta we were very disappointed that such a large hotel could treat holidaymakers in this way.
We found out later that they had booked a large conference which had taken over all these rooms, so obviously they are more interested in large companies rather than individuals. We will definitely not be booking with any of the Intercontinental Hotels again.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
ICMalta, General Manager at InterContinental Malta, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
Dear Guest:

Primarily, I would like to thank you for choosing InterContinental Malta to spend your sojourn and trust that you have arrived safely back home. Furthermore, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention your feedback following your stay at our hotel.

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the fact that during your stay with us, we had to out-book you to another hotel due to the fact that we were hosting a large conference. Unfortunately we had to take this action, since the conference organisers had reserved more delegates to our hotel at the latest moment and we had no other option but to host them at our hotel. Nevertheless, my team and I, did whatever we possibly could in our ability to transfer you in an other five-star hotel, adjacent to our hotel and having similar facilities as our hotel. We had also allocated upgraded rooms to guests that we had unluckily out-booked on their return in order to compensate for the inconvenience caused.

I would like to reassure you that your comments have been taken very seriously and have been shared with the Management Team to help us improve further so that similar incidents will not be repeated in the future. We at InterContinental Hotels strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and regrettably we have failed to reach your expectation on this occasion for which I apologise and trust that this occurrences did not mar the whole enjoyment of your stay in Malta.

In order to regain your trust in the InterContinental Brand, I would like to kindly invite you to contact directly my PA in order to ensure that on your next visit, you will experience the level of service and 5-star quality as expected in an InterContinental Hotel.

I reiterate my thanks for forwarding your feedback, as your constructive comments will only assist us in continually improving on the services we have to offer to our clients. In the meantime, we very much look forward to welcoming you again soon to InterContinental Malta.

With Warm Regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

This is the forth time we stayed at this Hotel,each time as good if not better than the last. We arrived in the middle of the night and were greeted by a most efficient and friendly front desk staff. The rooms are immaculate, a great size and the beds very comfortable as for the pillows, they are just the best (I'm a bit fussy about my pillows!) We used the restaurants, room service, indoor and outdoor pool and spa and everything was to a great standard. Our room included access to the club lounge, what a treat that is, beautiful view, comfortable,good food, internet access, very helpful staff.
You'll definately be happy staying in this hotel....we certainly were.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

This is by far one of the worse 5 star hotels i've stayed in, after arriving from a tiring plane ride the reception staff were so rude when I asked if they could give us our room before the official check in time of 3pm and was told abruptly that it clearly states that in the rules, entering the room I was disappointed to find the room furniture so old and clearly worn out, a the bed mattress was so old and overused that I had my worst nights sleep in this hotel, after coming back from a busy day feeling tired and ready to relax I found my room in what can only be called dismal cleaning conditions, they hadn't vacuumed the carpet, left all the rubbish exactly where it is and the bed sheets were tucked in a pile under the duvet, once I complained I had to wait for half an hour for the housekeepers to arrive,the balcony had cob webs from lack of cleaning waking up the following day for breakfast, it seemed like all the waiters were confused as to who should be doing what , tables weren't cleared regularly, the floor of the restaurant was dirty and sticky that I almost slid.
I'm not sure when this hotel was renovated but it clearly needs a redo soon, this is the 2nd time I end up disappointed by Intercontinental and I truly beleive that I will not be staying at any of their establishments ever again.
all these problems would've been bearable had the staff shown some degree of customer service or concern for their client (I dined at the Hilton Portomaso and was reminded of the excellent service I was lacking in my hotel), I paid 5 star rates because of the name and the reviews but am not sure why as I didn't get any value for my money, the only positive about the hotel is the location.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
ICMalta, General Manager at InterContinental Malta, responded to this review, June 1, 2010
Dear Guest:

I am firstly glad that you were pleased with the location of the hotel, yet I am very disappointed that during your stay with us, we were unable to impress you with our service. As highlighted in your review, whereby you expressed your disappointments with regards to the cleanliness in your room and service within our restaurant, kindly accept my sincere apologies for the areas where we have fallen short of your expectations.

Moreover, please allow me to express my apologies for the disappointments you experienced with regards to the service given to you by our team members. I assure you that we put our customers on top priority and we strive to maintain the highest possible standards and facilities in order to meet the expectations and desires of our guests. In fact, our training department is taking steps to ensure that all our staff have been correctly briefed on the expected standard of customer care at the InterContinental Hotel.

In order to regain your trust in the InterContinental Brand, I would like to kindly invite you to contact directly my PA, on email address evicka_busuttil@intercontinental.com.mt whereby we will be able to communicate directly with you, in order to ensure that on your next visit, you will experience the level of service and 5-star quality as expected in an InterContinental Hotel..

With Warm Regards,

Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

If you are on a busy business trip,are happy to share the lounge with busy people checking in and checking out as you look on to a busy road; intercon. hotel is your choice.
The second lounge is avaialble only to people who have paid extra money for more expensive rooms.For the ordinary folks it is out of bound. The hotel claims to have its own private beach( situated one kilometer away) a weterside restaurant ( 200 meters walk).
The truth is that Intercon. must be one of few 5 star hotels in the world situated on an island which gives the impression of being a sea side resort and does not have one single sea view . The hotel is a city hotel on a street. And if you are some one who wants to hire a car, then please note, hotel does not have a car park. ((There is a public Car Park nearby where you have to pay for the overnight parking)

Why on earth some one would who wants to have a relaxing holiday ever contemplate paying through ones nose to stay ina city hotel is , honestly beyond comprehension.

But I and my wife did; i strongly recommend that you would look at alternatives.

Of course you may love relaxing with a book in the lounge with people rushing in and rushing out looking over the road to the soothing sound of taxis floating by.

This is a genuine and true review by some one who has stayed in the hotel for 7 nights.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
ICMalta, General Manager at InterContinental Malta, responded to this review, May 20, 2010
Dear Guest,

Primarily, I would like to thank you for taking your time to upload your feedback onto Trip Advisor. We do hope that during your sojourn at our hotel you have enjoyed Malta and the hotel’s facilities including our vast range of restaurants that our hotel has to offer. We also appreciate your positive feedback, particularly towards our team members since we invest a lot of effort and stress the importance of providing a warm, hospitable and professional service to all our guests.

With regards to your comments concerning the image of our hotel’s location, please note that we publicize our hotel as having panoramic views as well as city view rooms, rather than a sea-side resort. Nevertheless, we believe that the hotel is located in a very advantageous position having both a large commercial centre as well as the city in short walking distances. In fact, we do have our own private beach situated 140 meters away from the hotel as well as a restaurant sitting on water’s-edge.

Moreover, with regards to our lounge, kindly note that our Lobby area is very spacious were guests can sit comfortably, however if you feel that there are too many activities going on in the vicinity, we do have several other quiet areas where guests can sit and relax, including a fantastic garden on the seventh floor, a Panoramic Pool deck on the tenth floor as well as the lounge opposite the Business Centre on Level 2 amongst others, unless you wish to use the InterContinental Club Lounge facilities which is included when guests book Club room types.

Unfortunately, we do not have our own car park, however, we do offer valet service to our guests since we can use car park facilities of a parking space very close by.

In view of the above, we kindly invite you to contact us on your next visit to Malta whereby we can help allocate a city view room or alternatively a panoramic view room. Our Concierge will also be more than happy to help you find the perfect spot where you can relax and enjoy the facilities of our hotel.

I reiterate my thanks for forwarding your feedback and do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you again soon to InterContinental Malta.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

Very nice hotel rooms, perfekt accommodation and it's restaurant on the beach Paranga is amazing!!!!

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

Just arrived back from spending 7 nights at the wonderful InterContinental in a Club Room, which I recommend. It is definately worth paying for. The hotel is located right next to the noisy bars/clubs but we didn't hear a thing from them from inside the hotel. It's location is excellent for walking along the bay and the local bus stop is on a good number of bus routes. Lots of opportunities for days out to all over Malta, and also Gozo and Comino, are all obtainable from within a few minutes from the hotel. The Concierge has a great knowledge of local points of interest & will happily make bookings for you - all you need to do is ask!

The staff were very friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble and the use of the Club Lounge throughout the day allowed us to have that little bit of luxury that we wouldn't have at home. The breakfast was delicious and full of variety, the afternoon tea (on the few occasions we were about at the time) was also great, and the pre-dinner drinks provided a nice refreshment for free. The amount you get for your money is well worth paying for.

As for the room, it was spacious and had a balcony with a nice panoramic view of St. George's Bay/ St. Julians and the outdoor pool & courtyards. Unfortunately there are building works going on, but the few cranes & slight drilling didn't really put us off as the sliding glass doors cut out the noise. Our room had an interconnecting door (for family/groups wanting ajoining rooms). Although this was locked closed we could hear the guests in the room next door on a few occasions towards the end of our stay. The room was clean & done thorougly every day. The complimetary paper every morning was a nice touch, as was the turndown service with a free chocolate each evening. One of the best hotels I've stayed in for attention to detail.

This was our first time in an Intercontinental hotel, and it certainly won't be our last. We've caught the bug for the Club level and will certainly consider this option when staying for a number of nights again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!