“Not as bad as everyone makes out! Long review, but detailing everything....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Sea St George's Park & La Vallette Resorts

You added Blue Sea St George's Park & La Vallette Resorts to your Saves list
Blue Sea St George's Park & La Vallette Resorts
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dragonara Road, Saint Julian's, Island of Malta STJ 02, Malta   |
Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Saint Julian's
“Not as bad as everyone makes out! Long review, but detailing everything....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a 7 night stay at this hotel. I booked this for my husband and I and our 2 children, ages 5 & 10.. After booking, I made the mistake of reading the reviews and have to say, I was close to cancelling it. This was a cheap & cheerful deal, all inclusive in a Superior Room with pool view.
We usually do cruising, and stay in luxury hotels so are used to the finer things. Our family have a Boat in a marina close by, so we just wanted to use this as a base really.

We arrived at 11am, we checked in at St Georges and was told we were staying In the La Valletta hotel next door. Once checked in, which was all done quickly, we got our key and went to our room on the 7th floor. First impressions, It wasn't looking good. It got worse when I opened the door to a room with a ridiculously horrible kitchenette, 2 single beds and a bunk bed that had seen better days... I went straight back to reception to complain. I had booked a Superior room overlooking the pool with 2 double beds. The young lady on reception was really helpful, she told me this was a studio apartment we were in and I explained that we had booked a superior room with 2 double beds - after 2 reception staff & a manager (also to be told the hotel doesnt have rooms with 2 double beds in!!! ) - I was given a key to room 4019.. Which when we got there was a large room with a pool view, a large wardrobe area, and 2 double beds... The room was clean, the sheets were clean, the bathroom was clean!! We decided things were looking up.... Don't get me wrong, it's a tired room, but it was clean.. We quickly unpacked and went to the pool area which again, we were pleasantly surprised... The pool was lovely, the view over to the beach was lovely & the bar was even better..

The staff at La Valletta pool bar were so pleasant, my children were constantly at the bar asking for drinks.. My kids were obsessed with the hot chocolate & the Rose wine, beer & cocktails were VERY nice also.. The bar snacks weren't too great, you got apples, oranges, biscuits and some brioche buns with raisins in... You can get ice lollies and ice creams for a small price - but, we hadn't gone for the food....

We went for lunch and the only criticism I would give the hotel is the food wasn't great at all... Wasn't much choice and it didn't look or taste too great either.. Breakfast was awful too.. We never even went down for dinner - but, it was only an extra £100 for all inclusive and we well and truely got our money's worth with just drinks... We ate out every lunch and dinner and just had toast for breakfast - there are so many lovely places to eat around the hotel that we had always planned to eat out..

Location... It's in the perfect position.. Party central one side,
Portomaso the other.. Lovely beach with a lovely bar, Hugo's opposite which does nice Prosecco...Marina with some nice restaurants with lovely views.. Buses are great too, cheap and very regular.. We did a bus to Valletta and to Birgu..

Noise - our room over looked the pool and we didn't hear any music from the bars - only complaint was the people coming in from clubbing were so noisy and we did have to get up and ask them to be quiet, and on one occasion went to reception where the security guard was lovely and came up to sort the noise... But, that's not the hotels fault!!

They have entertainment at the evenings & are in the process of setting up a kids club which again, the staff were lovely and entertained our children...

Our cleaner was also really lovely - she was plesent, always asking if we needed anything, made our beds every day and left clean towels.. Infact, we had too many towels which is unheard of in hotels.

Overall... If you've booked this hotel & read the reviews.. Don't be put off - I would say most people who do review's on this have had some kind of problem & are angry.. And most people who have had a good stay dont review it... which is why, the first thing i wanted to do, was give it a gooc review... I found the staff, if your nice to them, they will help you out... If you go all guns blazing, they obviously don't want to help.

Would I stay again, Yes, and I didn't think I'd say that...

Go, enjoy & my advice, pay that extra for a superior room and don't let them fob you off that they don't do them as room 4019 defo does..

Hope this review helps & enjoy your stay x

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My partner and i stayed at this hotel for 7 days. We came in to the hotel about 11am and was told to come back at 2.30pm as that is the check in time. we didn't think much of it except how odd is that? to check in at 2.30pm, and said okay that's fine, we went out with our SUITCASE and decided to find a place where we could grab some lunch. once we had our lunch we came back to the hotel about 2.20pm and we was told we should wait for a couple of minutes as they are waiting for a call. (Now i couldn't understand why they needed to wait for a call) So we waited till 3pm and still nothing. i went to the reception staff several times to ask them what was going on and all they kept saying was we are waiting for a call. The whole hour we and many other families and couples where just lounging in the lobby area where the reception desk is with our suitcases so you can imagine how frustrated and cramped everyone was, we saw many people just get up and Que again to speak to reception staff. a group of 5 females came 5 hours before us and they still hadn't got a room! that is what just made me think wtf?! what are these hotel people playing at? anyway i finally managed to speak to a reception staff and i told her that i need to know whether we are going to get a room today or not? as we are very tired and just wanted a shower to freshen up and a place to have a lie down for couple hours. She kept going on about this call and i asked her i don't understand why you need to wait for a call from someone to give us a room. We had booked the hotel well in advance, i then told her if we are not getting a room then she needs to tel us so we can find elsewhere. anyway she decided to blank me and serve the next person. i called her again and asked her whether she received a phone call, she said no i told her i'm fed up of waiting around for hours and that i want to speak to the manager, or i want a refund she went quite and said OK i need to speak to my manager. so she wasted more time just walking in and out the reception and just blanked me. i called her again and asked her whether she spoke to the manager she said no, i asked her where he was and she said he is in a meeting, i said okay when does his meeting finish she said i don't know. (i also over heard the 5 women saying that she has been saying that the manager is in a meeting since they got here which was 5 hours ago, and also another couple saying that they had overbooked and that they don't have any rooms left now! ) so i was really angry and frustrated with the receptionist and gave her my peace of mind! she was just going round in circles and making up things to say to me, she finally said hes in a meeting in another hotel so i told her to ring him she said she couldn't do that, she said to me i should go over to the other hotel and see his whereabouts and call him over here. i told her she gets paid to do this job, she is the one who should contact him and sort this not me! i have just traveled this far and im exhausted all i want is a room so i can relax. she walked away from me as i was talking to her and started talking to her colleague in their language she didn't come back to me and just gave me nasty looks. i sat down fuming with the rest of the customers who were in the same situation as us! after 10 mins another receptionist called us to the reception and said here is a slip to your room. no sorry nothing he just told us we need to go to another hotel which is a 2min walk from where we was and hand the slip to them, i told him also where the room is good or not, he said its okay, i told im if the room is not worth the wait then im coming back to him and expect a better room. As we got to the other hotel we came across another couple who was waiting with us saying that the had just got the hotel and that is of real bad state. so that just got me even more worried, finally we got the key to our room and decided we should use the lift seen as its on the 6th floor and we have a suitcase, we got to the 6th floor in the lift the door wouldn't open, so we just panicked for bit, then we pressed 7th floor and had to walk it down to our floor. Opened the room door and what did i see?? Three single beds!! a small boxed Arial tv smaller then a microwave with no remote! and only BBC news and CNNn are the only channels that can be seen the rest of the channels where fuzzy or in black and white. So you can guess what we watched the whole 7 days!! news! and had to get up every time to fix the volume!. Bed sheets were disgusting as they seemed like they had just picked them p from a charity shop,

* Next was when i called them to ask a staff to drop me for toilet rolls i was told they will send someone up. waited for 30mins nothing, ended up ringing them again and was told i should come collect them MYSELF from reception.
* Another time i called them to say no one has come to clean the room, and that i needed the bedding to be changed, i was told they will send someone up, again nothing, i ended up taking the bedding off myself and left it on the side of my room, we went out and came back bedding was still their on the floor, i called hem once again and they said that i have to come collect he bedding myself. i was fuming again as this was day 4 of our holiday, room wasn't cleaned, bedding wasn't changed, bins hadn't been emptied, bathroom wasn't cleaned.... went downstairs got the bedding, only came up to find that they new bedding i was given was dirty! went downstairs again and got a new one and fitted it myself threw the other bedding outside my room so at-least they will pick it up in the morning IF they clean the hallway.

Overall
* staff is very rude, and don't have a clue about anything not even what their local time is! the clock in the reception had the wrong time!
* They don't clean the rooms!
* I have never seen the restaurant or so called bar open.
* They charge you if you want to use wifi
* You have to pay to use the AC
* You have to pay to use the iron and washing machine
* Lifts hardly work - We had to walk it up most of the time in the 7 days we only must have used the lift 3 times, we even had to walk down with the suitcase on the day we was coming back as their lifts weren't working!

Only thing i can say is its in a good location, shops, bars ,clubs and restaurants are close-by.

Overall Malta has been a very boring place to visit, and i don't think we will ever visit it again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Saint Julian's hotels

Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Well, you get what you pay for-and sometimes more.
We had paid 10 euro pp and night for a room with halfboard.

We got a enormous room with kitchen and large balcony, clean and quiet at 8th floor.

Elevators worked sometimes, but usually 4-5 of 6 was broken.
Staff was not the best, but easy to ignore.

Food was ok, 4-5 things to choose from, bread, desserts and fruits afterwards.
Breakfast was good, eggs, bacon, scrambled eggs, toast...

Almost every information staff gave us (about buses etc) was completely wrong, so doublecheck!

Cleaning-staff did an excellent job, really happy with them.

Our bed was almost new and comfortable.

Room Tip: Room 829 was in good order and very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Montrose, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We chose this hotel without reading reviews and knowing it was cheap. Unfortunately our experience wasn't much better.
We did have a good size room, decent foam mattresses, full breakfast and the local location was convenient. However, not much else. The hotel is tired and emotional in dire need of an upgrade. Only 3 stars but it struggled to provide a 3 star service. Elevators were often out of service, staff were stretched and most not very friendly or helpful, aircon didn't work, cleaning was abysmal, as in nearly nonexistent.
Surprisingly the hotel appeared mostly full, so perhaps there is no incentive to improve.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kilmaurs, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Just returned from my stay in Malta, we were meant to be staying at the Blue Sea San Anton in Bugibba, but they did not have a room for us so got moved to St Georges Park. WORST HOTEL EVER!!!! 14 of us were moved, 3 x 2 and a group of 8 & we arrived at St Georges Park to be told they did not know we were coming & did not have a room for us! We asked them to call our hotel who would confirm they had sent us but they advised they could not call out so were faxing the hotel! They also tried to take copies off our passport but their photocopier wouldn’t work! After spending around 1 hour at the reception (hearing people shout welcome to the holiday from hell), they moved us to La Vallette hotel to get a room! We were told they would give us a room but we were to come back to St Georges for our meals and all inclusive. In the morning we went to breakfast at St Georges, all tables are dirty, staff clear plates eventually but don’t put out fresh cutlery for the next guests, you need to go fetch your own cutlery from their station….the food….well the scrambled egg was green!! I wouldn’t recommend eating anything from this hotel ! When we went to reception to demand to get moved back to Buggiba, I spoke to a couple who said 2 days into their holiday they had been seriously ill with food poisoning !

Go to the hotel if you don’t want to sleep….and you want to catch food poisoning, otherwise go elsewhere! Even if you get it for a really really cheap price, it is still not worth it!

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool side, otherwise you will not sleep at all !
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Delayed check in on arrival. Door was broken so we couldn't leave our stuff until it was fixed and missed lunch. They are obsessed with this little slip of paper they give u. So a key and wristbandsvatent enough to allow u into restaurant. Shower was broken. Hair in bathroom. Room is cleaned every three days. Too noisy to sleep. You have to collect your own toilet rolls from reception which is embarrassing. They say you get what you pay for and although it was cheap it was still not worth the money.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had some very negative reviews prior to our 4 night holiday. I decided I would go with the attitude that I would make the most of it. I also advised my 26 and 13 year old daughters that it was a cheap break and not to expect too much and that we will make the most of it. Our room was basic but was ok with new foam mattresses which were very comfotable. We had a problem with our door lock and they sent someone to fix it. The food was fine for us it was hot , mostly chicken and fish. They do add differrent dishes most nights, generally based on chicken or fish. We ran out of toilet roll and I asked at reception and he asked how many I wanted, 3 wasn't a problem. I also noticed people using the pool toilets without toilet roll , I asked for toilet roll for the toilets at the pool bar and they gave me 3 one for each toilet, you just have to ask. The staff went out of their

way to help and were friendly, especially Marcel at the pool bar where they have a nice coffee and hot chocolate. At the entertainment bar you have Marcel's brother Albert and Manuel. Across the road from the hotel is a lovely ice cream shop and the beach in the town is lovely. It is nice to have a town to wander around. The hotel is very near lots of bars and clubs, I did on occasions hear loud guests returning to their rooms, but that is not the hotels fault. My daughters and I had a great time and wish we could have stayed longer. The sightseeing bus goes from just outside the hotel which is worth going on, turn left as you go out and its at the bottom of the road you get a free boat trip too. I didnt have any problems queing for drinks the que was never very long. If I went with my daughters ee could get 6 drinks between us at a time. I hope this review helps you to go with the attitude you have booked a cheap hotel and make the most of it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Blue Sea St George's Park & La Vallette Resorts? Share your experiences!