“Great hotel, great food.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel

You added Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel to your Saves list
Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dragonara Road, Saint Julian's, Island of Malta STJ 3141, Malta   |
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Essex Girl
“Great hotel, great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I went with my cousin as part of a holiday tour package. We had our reservations as the reviews were mixed. Glad we went as the hotel was great. We had a room overlooking the sea with a balcony. The food was all buffet style, with a really good choice and differed every night. I think the negative reviews were from those who had rooms on the other side, as they overlooked the road with all the bars and nightlife and seemed to be noisy at night. We heard nothing. Ask for rooms at he front or the side overlooking the sea.

Room Tip: Get rooms at the front or facing sea.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

had a superior sea view room, which was great with fab views, Sky news, BBC world & Discovery on the TV, Decent priced mini bar, bathroom was clean, but dated (shower head over bath, but did the job) room was good too, huge for one person & more than adequate for a weeks stay for two.
Hotel is on the older side but still very nice & def a four star, outdoor pool is on the roof & basic but does the job, indoor pool is stunning, Gym is very old but did the job for a holiday workout.
Staff were very friendly & helpful, breakfast buffet was really nice, with proper sausages..woow!
Location is fantastic, in the heart of paceville, but still not too noisy, great double glazing to balcony & black out curtains.
All in all would definatley recomment this hotel, which was great value at around £50 a night in early June, will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Cayman Islands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

checked in here "on spec" with friend and my disabled mother in her wheelchair after our previously booked 'Accessible' hotel let us down. The Duty Manager kindly showed me 3 different rooms so I could select the most appropriate for our needs - we settled on a suite and an adjoining deluxe seaview for a total of £100 per night b+b. The rooms were spacious and very clean, the heating was turned up on full and so they were a tad too warm but easily rectified by opening balcony doors.

The hotel overall was virtually deserted, only a small group of Libyan students in the large breakfast room each morning. The bar and other public areas were all very clean and offered efficient and polite service. The pool, jacuzzi and gym are located in the basement (with another rooftop outdoor pool for summer season), the water was only heated to 22C which was too cold for the time of year but otherwise were again spotless with efficient service.

The location of the hotel is at the foot of a steep hill, 100mtr from Paceville and the 'nightlife zone' of Malta (can be very noisy area in the busier peak season but quiet in winter) and a short walk from Westin Dragonara hotel and Casino on the seafront. Also an easy 30 minute walk into Sliema and the nearby St Georges shopping Mall or along Paceville to the Hilton and Marina complex.

Only real grip was the cost of internet - 5 Euro for 15 minutes, but otherwise was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: ask to view rooms on arrival
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

This hotel is not a 4 star hotel. The service from the reception desk is poor and often rude. Where most hotels offer free internet you will pay 9 Euros for 1 days access meaning as soon as you login, the internet expires within 24 hours.

The breakfasts were terrible and the only variations in 5 mornings were the change in location of the foods. If you feel like something different you will pay extra even if you have a "bed and breakfast" package.

The hotel is in serious need of a paint job and the mould in our room was carefully hidden behind our closed curtains.

In summary there are better hotels around and I would recommend going to one of them

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

Everything negative that people say about this hotel is so TRUE! I stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend.He payed 300 euro for 2 persons for 4 days what is a reasonable price. I must admit that I expected better rooms for a 4 star hotel.This one deserves most 3 stars. The room was so old fashioned,old furnished, worn off.The floor- carpet was dirty. It was obvious they didn't clean it for a long long time.There was no toilet brush so we needed to make a special request for it.This was so odd to me.I found 2 pubic hairs( those curly ones) in the sink and in the bath.The towels were rough and old.
Everything else I found o.k. Me and my boyfriend didn't have breakfast so I couldn't tell how the food is. But the last day I had really bad experience related to transportation to the airport. I ordered a taxi at reception and for the first time in my life had to pay up front.It was 23 euro.I travelled all around the world and never had to pay for yet uncompleted service.Usually you pay when the service is done.I asked a girl at reception,....her name is Maria,she was some young girl,maybe a student who doesn't have a touch for clients,..... for a taxi at 12.30 since I had a flight at 2 p.m. I counted on a serious taxi driver but I was so wrong.Actually since I payed to a hotel up front they should take responsibility for it all. The driver was not driving a taxi but a private car.He was also 10 minutes late.When I came to complain about driver not being there at time we settled up, this girl Maria started to shout at me that I should be more patient, that driver was coming,that I should be at the airport 2 hours before,...and this crap.Obviously the staff doesn't know how to treat their guests with respect and loose control and become agressive and patronising towards guests of hotel.Not that I mention the hotel's driver who came 10 minutes late, he even went slowly to the bathroom in the hotel even that he knew I needed to be at the airport at 1 p.m. and could loose a flight because of him.I called a supervisor and expressed my deep disapointment about everything it was going on and he answered me in the same way as his worker Maria.In the same arrogant,rude way.But the next day I called the manager of the hotel and let him know about everything, hoping these things could change.
The problem here is that I asked for a taxi driver, not for a private hotel's driver and usually you pay to a taxi driver AFTER the service is done.Because when you pay after they get also more motivated and do their best to please the client.This driver was soooo relaxed, he was just not caring about me and my needs.I felt like he was there on vacation and doing everything in slow motion, on purpose so he could show me that he is the most important there.I am sooo disapointed by Vivaldi hotel , their service and their treatment of guests that I think to contact also some tourist association in Malta and let them know about all this terrible service ....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
GoldenTulipVivaldi, Manager at Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Dear Madam,

Just a short note to point out that while every effort is made for the rooms to be in pristine condition, any defects should be reported to the Duty Manager so the appropriate action can be taken immediately. It was noted that there were no complaints made by yourself or your boyfriend during your stay. Cleaning and maintenance are done on a daily basis, while refurbishing of rooms is also done as scheduled periodically. We strive to make our client’s vacation a pleasant and memorable one.
With regards to our transport facilities kindly note that the Hotel makes use of the services of an independent locally registered Transport Company to the benefit of our esteemed clients at a predetermined agreed rate. A VAT receipt is issued in triplicate; one for the transport company’s records, one for the chauffeur and one for the client. The name of the company in printed on the receipt and any shortcomings could be directed to them.
Alfred Mifsud
Front Office Manager
Golden Tulip Vivaldi
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

The hotel could do with a splash of paint here and there. Not that it's not clean, it just looks a little outdated. Staff were helpful and breakfast was OK. Room was OK but nothing special. Plenty of free wi-fi hotspots around Malta so no need to use the expensive hotel connection. The location of the hotel is close to the seafront, but the seafront is rocky, not a beach (or at least not the bit visible from the hotel restaurant). Just up the hill (within 200metres) is a noisy area where students and others go every night to drink and party. The noise doesn't quite reach the hotel, but the groups of youths roaming around the area can be disconcerting.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Fagaras, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

It is a very good hotel, with nice staff, big rooms and everything was very clean. Food was good but not very diversified. I really recommend this hotel especially for the young people because it is situated in St Julian (the most animated place in Malta).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel? Share your experiences!