“Standards slipping at the Hilton” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Malta

You added Hilton Malta to your Saves list
Hilton Malta
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Portomaso, Saint Julian's, Island of Malta PTM 01, Malta   |
Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Dublin, Ireland
“Standards slipping at the Hilton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was our 5th visit to the Hilton over perhaps 7 or 8 years. We have always liked it as we like the adult pool area and the service we have had over the years. This time I think there are some things that need addressing if the hotel is to continue as a 5 star.

First of all, as a Silver Honours Hilton Member and as it was our 5th visit I did expect to get an upgrade as I knew there were plenty of rooms available. However we were not offered one.

We had chosen a twin with sea view as my daughter was with me. It was on the 10th floor in the old part of the building which we prefer. Room was very nice as was the bathroom. Nothing outstanding but nice. Balcony was good too. Towels in the bathroom not so good, and only 2 large towels in it....for a 5 star I think they should give you extra one or two.

Mini bar prices expensive 6 euro for a can of beer but then you sort of expect that.

The things that need to be addressed in my view are the following;-

Merkanti Beach Club Pool area - We liked this area in previous years as it gets the evening sun but there is also more room to move around and the beds are not so squashed. This time we went there for the first few days until it became really packed with large groups of people. We had noticed a different type of client also, ie some of them were drinking all day and one couple were at one point straddling each other on the sun beds. Not nice. We then discovered that the membership offered at the Beach Club has been reduced to the public with special offers and that this is why it was so busy. On two occasions there were weddings at the Beach Club but it was evening time so didn't really affect us. What did affect us was on our last day . A corporate event was held at the Merkanti Beach Club and so it was closed for the entire day. We went to the adult pool on that day but it was not relaxing at all. This was due to the loudest music we have ever heard coming from the Merkanti Beach area. There were aerobics in the pool with pounding music. I actually couldn't hear my ipod with my earphones in my ears that is how loud it was. We eventually gave up and went inside as did some others.

Pool Towels - The Hilton has now got a towel card system in place for the pools. On check in you are given one card each. This card must be presented to Martin at the pool reception every morning and you then receive 1 towel. You must hand back the towel at the end of the day to get your card back, if not, you are fined 20 euro. I am not kidding. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels on the years and have never been faced with this. It is not good service by any standards. For instance in the hotels we have stayed in in Singapore you can have as many towels as you like and can change them when they are wet. On two of our days in the Hilton they actually ran out of towels. Unbelievable.

We enjoyed our stay and particularly the Blue Elephant as its staff are incredible. I do think that for a 5 star hotel , the Hilton really does need to address these issues. Our bill for the 7 nights was just over 1600 euro which is not cheap considering it did not include breakfast. It included one meal at the Blue Elephant and pool side drinks (5.10 for a large sprite in a plastic glass).

As a result I am not sure whether we would go back again which is a real pity as we have always liked it. I did receive a cake for my birthday while I was there which was a nice touch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MariaGhebresselasie, Director of Operations at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear scarke,

I was disappointed to read your review.

I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me on maria.ghebresselasie@hilton.com as I would like to better understand and address the shortfalls you have mentioned.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was our second visit to the Hilton Malta this year. There has been major expenditure on the Merkanti Beach Club area & this was now open. A great success, with improved entrance & restaurant area, new showers & changing rooms, new sunbeds & shades. One of the best things about staying here ( our 6th visit ) is that due to Martyn & his team of pool boys we have never had an issue with people reserving sun beds & not turning up until hours later.
Breakfast's are wonderful & all the staff are very friendly & most attentive. Any problems / issues we have had were quickly resolved by front of house staff.
We will be back next year for our 7th & 8th visit

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Philippa M, Administration at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear skiclub11

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure when guests take the time to commend the hotel and the facilities it has to offer. I have shared your kind praises with Martin and his Team.

We look forward to welcome you back next year and please do not hesitate to contact me personally on Philippa.mifsud@hilton.com if you require any assistance.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

For 2nd year running have enjoyed a 12 night family holiday at this excellent hotel. For such a large hotel it does have the personal touch. Friendly and helpful front desk continues throughout the hotel. Good sized rooms that are well equipped, great breakfast and fabulous pools. very good quality gym. As someone who spend many nights a year in hotels on business, it is easy to get very critical but this ticks all the boxes. I have stayed in dozens of Hiltons throughout Europe and to my mind this is up with the very best.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the edges of the hotel as sometimes private parties can be quite noisy in the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Philippa M, Administration at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Michael958_13

We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your wonderful review. Our guests are our best advocates and we are glad that we have met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Malta.

Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here over the holidays back in December, and were thoroughly impressed. The service was very good, and rooms are large by European standards. We didn't eat too many meals there, though the breakfasts were phenomenal. Management works very closely with you if you're unable to resolve concerns with their staff. They also have a huge fitness center with a very charismatic trainer, and a nice pool. We will definitely come back, as we'd like to see the property when it is warmer, and we can use the pools and decks outside.

Room Tip: This is the largest "standard" room I've seen anywhere in Europe!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear BobbyinCincinnati

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to read that you had chosen the Hilton Malta to celebrate your festivities back in December.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon, please do not hesitate to contact me personally on Philippa.mifsud@hilton.com should I be of any assistance.

Alesund, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We recently spent 14 days at this hotel , Our first holiday stay at a Hilton hotel. We have however spent simular stays at 5 stars hotels like Westin, W, Interkontinental, Kempinski, Sheraton a.o
We arrived by taxi very early(10.30) in the morning. Nobody met us at the entrance to help with the suitcases? and at the reseption , as expected, we were told that our room werent ready yet but it might be at around 13.00. So we took a walk in the neigtborhood but at one o`clock we were told the room still wasent ready. At around 15.00, after having used a little voice to the consiegere and the desk supervisor a room suddenly appered as a miracel. The supervisor offered us a bottle of wine as a compansation which we axsepted. But is this 5 star treatment?
Further on the lining in the bed were changed 2 times ? during our 14 day staystay, both upon request and one small bottle of shower soap for two persons? One day we got half a bottle, had it been used by somebody else?
Otherwise the hotel was good, ok breakfast and a wery good "Blue Elefant" restaurant which we enjoyed 4 times during the stay. and a quiet, grown up pool and area are for me a very big pluss.
All in all, compared to the above mentioned hotels, there might be room for some improvment for this hotel assuming that standards are the same at Malta as otherwise. This were our first visit so i have nothing to compare with.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MariaGhebresselasie, Director of Operations at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Traveller190504

I was saddened to read your review.

I would greatly appreciate if you contact me on maria.ghebresselasie@hilton.com as I would like to better understand and address the shortfalls you have mentioned.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Our 2nd short break at this lovely hotel for a relaxing three nights.
We find this hotel has everything we need on tap.
Our 'BUT' , which was raised AGAIN with the management , was the unacceptable complete closure for the whole day, of their main relaxation adult pool by the sea.
This was due to a private , very noisy , party hiring the whole area.
This also happened twice last year , in a three night stay , and meant that this pool was closed to hotel guests at 3pm.
Whilst there is an alternative adult pool ( over 16,s but often ignored ! ) by the hotel , this is a squashed area with little or no pool service, especially compared with the excellent service at the other larger pool mentioned.
If the readers of this 'gripe' have not been to this hotel then I would like to mention that access to the sea for swimming is very tricky and nigh on impossible if it's wavy. Hence the dependence on finding a quieter pool option.
We would like to consider returning to this hotel again in September this year , for another short break , but we will be confirming 'the pool ' is open first !!
This hotel has a wonderful dual aspect with either a sea or a fancy private marina view.
Lovely restaurants with the excellent ' blue elephant ' Thai sister restaurant from London overlooking the marina.
There is also a wonderful 5th floor bar overlooking the marina.
In summary , this is a lovely hotel and we recommend it highly. It's very child friendly but we would like some more consideration for hotel guests travelling without them and looking for relaxation.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Robertlintott

I was disappointed to read that the closure of the pool area disrupted your stay.

Please do contact me directly on maria.ghebresselasie@hilton.com as I would like to discuss further the comments you have raised and assist you with your booking in September.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Had a fantastic week at the Hilton Malta. Being off season the weather wasn't too great but pleasant enough for someone from Scotland!

The staff are what really make this property. They took time out to help in any way possible and were just fantastic with my daughter.

We were upgraded to a suite and got the perks of the executive lounge with this so that was a bonus. Also used the Spa and the treatments were great and reasonably priced for a 5 star hotel.

Would not heisitate to stay again when I am next in Malta.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Belafonte04

Thank you for your wonderful review.

It is always a pleasure to note that Team Members have gone out of their way to ensure that you have a memorable stay.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Philippa

Been to Hilton Malta? Share your experiences!