“Shame the service did not match up to the standard of the food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #64 of 227 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Shame the service did not match up to the standard of the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We were aware of good ratings for this restaurant though had never previously visited despite having holidayed in this area on 9 previous occasions ! We booked a table and whilst the booking was honoured we felt that we had been given the least attractive location for the weather which was quite nippy (outside right on the quayside) whereas customers dropping by got tables nearer the patio heaters or inside.
We were given the menu but no explanation was given so when a waitress finally came to take our order hubby had to reselect as the dish he had ordered was suitable only as a starter - she said someone should have explained the menu to us beforehand. We had decided to share a starter and used our side plates to apportion but though the starter platter was collected the used side plates were not collected until the end of the meal. We waiting 30-35 minutes for the main course to come after the starter . The place was busy but each time hubby or I went inside to go to the loo there were waiting staff standing around doing nothing but chatting. We asked if we could order dessert and after about 10 minutes a waitress (who had already served us our drinks about 95 minutes beforehand came to offer us bread ! Another wait then to get dessert menus. All this time we were getting chillier and chillier to the extent that I had a brandy to warm me up when we got to the pub, our next port of call.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
THAMES VALLEY, UK
“THE BEST FOOD IN MALTA????”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

My wife and I succumbed to the advertising banner above the restaurant about this being voted the best local food in Malta one evening when staying close by. I always have some reservation when the advertisement doesn't say who voted, and when, nevertheless we were offered a table and placed our order.

I ordered a Ftira Mohxija which, when it was placed in front of me, was covered all over in black burnt blisters. It had clearly been over-cooked. I raised it up and found that the underside was also burnt in places.

Now, I can't understand how any decent kitchen can allow burnt food to be sent out to customers and how any serving staff can even take it to the table and not throw it back!

I decided to taste a small corner but it was inedible. I recalled the waiter and told him that I couldn't eat the dish. He looked surprised and said, 'You don't like it? I told him that it wasn't that I didn't like it but that it was burnt and blistered both outside and underneath. I asked him whether he'd like to eat burnt toast? I was offered a replacement Ftira but I declined as it seemed possible that the replacement would be just as easily burnt, so I chose a pasta dish. I had to wait about 15-20 minutes before that was delivered and in the meantime I was left to watch my wife eat her pasta dish. During this period my wife noticed that a fellow diner across the restaurant had also had to sent back burnt food.

What are the staff playing at presenting burnt food for customers and what is the kitchen doing sending out burnt food?

Finally, we were offered cups of coffee but looking that the bill we were presented with, they would probably have charged us for them as well! If this was my restaurant I'd have ensured that the replacement dish was 'free-of-charge'. Someone needs to tell this restaurant that being voted the best in town is easily taken away if they treat customers in this fashion! They ruined our evening and our 'customer experience' was extremely poor.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Gliwice, Poland
“Great Maltese Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We went there on therecommendation of the consierge from The InterContinetal Hotel as wewere looking a good Maltese Restaurants. We were not disappointed. The food was very good, best calamari I have eaten and the price was reasonable. Service friendly and quick. Try it. I'm sureyou will not be disappointed. There was no reservation required and we set in a nice outdoor setting with a nice view

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Maltese Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Fantastic view, lovely food, and some seriously good wine. Not expensive either and made a great change from Italian..

Ooty, India
“Tres Accommodating!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

This restaurant takes the prize for its accommodating staff. My family has had more than one very long, very leisurely lunch here and we love the accommodating staff and the food. Food is good home-cooked fare, nothing gourmet but good, just like your mama cooks! We love the rabbit, the ftajjar, and the time to sit, eat and drink without being rushed. The more we sit, the more we spend; this is try but we love that we can sit and enjoy the view.

• Visited April 2014