“Try this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chapter One

Chapter One
9 Church Street | (Triq il-Knisja), Saint Julian's, Island of Malta ST J3041, Malta
00356 21380000
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
“Try this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

I found this place on trip advisor and it did not disappoint. While there is no view or patio, the restaurant has nice ambiance. We had the fresh Snapper which was amazing. Decent wine list with good wine. Friendly attentive staff. I will go back on my next visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Rye, United Kingdom
“Something different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We saw this restaurant recommended on Tripadvisor and went there on our last night in Malta. It was certainly different inside to the usual places we go - very modern looking, well decorated in subdued colours - almost minimalist compared to most Maltese restaurants. The service was excellent and the waiter extremely helpful in describing the available fish and suggesting wine. We were also given a complimentary hot mushroom taster dish to start with very fresh bread.

It's a fairly small menu and I don't know how often it changes, but my partner chose the pea soup followed by the duck served with parsnip puree and red cabbage. It was beautifully tender and cooked just as he requested. I chose the prawn risotto (very tasty) and roasted seabass which was cooked to perfection. I would have liked to try the chocolate brownie but we had eaten so much during our stay that I couldn't manage it. Perhaps next time.

All in all a very pleasant experience, romantic and relaxing. Expensive if you have three courses and non-local wine but definitely worth it. You need to book as it's not over large.

• Visited November 2012
Bucharest
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I are very picky when it comes to food therefore we spend a significant amount of time researching which restaurant to choose when we go out. We've been to 6 restaurants during our short time on the island, and this one was our favorite.
The Chapter One experience was excellent: I loved everything we've ordered ( a juicy and tender veal, baked fish, freshly baked pasta with lamb ragout ), the atmosphere was beautiful ( the design of the restaurant is very minimalist, a sort of adapted japanese - european style), the wine selection good and the staff very polite and helpful.
All in all I'd return there if I ever vacation again in Malta :)

• Visited October 2012
Lund, Sweden
“Top quality food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Love this restaurant. The food is outstanding and the portion size is generous. Very friendly service. The best restaurant experience I had in Malta and, indeed one of the best restaurant experiences ever. Their Creme brulee was the best I have ever tried and all food I had was coocked to perfection. A bit more expensive than other restaruants in the area but not by much and they offer excellent of food so it is very good value for money to eat at Chapter One.

• Visited November 2012
Warsaw, Poland
“Definitely worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were staying at the Westin and as the restaurant is a short walk from the hotel we decided to stop in and see if we could get a table on our 3rd night in Malta. Lucky for us we were seated without a reservation. The restaurant is very small but it is cozy and well appointed.

The waiter was very attentive, took our drink orders, explained the wine list and menu. We were brought an amuse bouche of Arancini which was a nice surprise and the maltese bread was delicious.

We enjoyed meal so much that after dinner we made reservations for the next night.
For starters my husband had the Fish Carpaccio both nights it was amazing. I had the Pea Soup the first night it was so flavourful. The second night I went with the Fish Carpaccio as even though I enjoyed the soup on day one it was filling and the Fish Carpaccio was so light and excellent I really wanted my own the next evening. As our 16 year old is not a big eater she had the Saffron Parmesan Risotto and some of my soup and no main. Her Risotto was very good the consistancy was perfect and the flavours were excellent.

On to the mains, what can I say, I had the Veal steak and WOW!! Amazing. It is the reason we went back the second night. My husband was so jealous he wanted to eat there again so he could order it. The first night he had the duck which he said had all the right flavours although his preference would have been to have it cooked slightly more, which in the restaurant's defence the waiter did offer to do so. The second night I had the Filet mignon which was well cooked and very tasty, although being biased it still didn't compare to the veal. I know that isn't fair as it was really good. As I said before daughter is not a big eater so she had salad the second night, very well plated, vegetables fresh and tasty.

I am not a dessert eater but the first night husband and daughter shared Creme Brulee and raved about it. The second night they both had dessert he had the Lemon tart and enjoyed it and daughter had the Brownie which was a big hit with her.

It was definitely well worth the price and highly recommend. It would be my first destination on a return trip to Malta.

• Visited October 2012