“great private party location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George Hotel

You added The George Hotel to your Saves list
The George Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Triq Paceville Ave, Saint Julian's, Island of Malta STJ3103, Malta   |
Announcement
Free WI-Fi offer
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Malta
“great private party location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

I live in malta and recently held a Hen night party for 30 on the roof top pool area. The whole event was organised within a few emails at a very professional level. The staff and the setting were as good if not better then the five star hotels around. They could not have been more helpful and went out of their way to make it a perfect night. The rooms are gorgeous, clean and modern and I would not hesitate in booking rooms here for family that come down throughout the summer. It is a shame that some people write bad reviews about the noise. The hotel has been opened right in the heart of malta's entertainment area which is a bonus to most people as everything is within walking distance and transport is not needed. If you don't want noise stay up north or elsewhere but you'll be complaining there is nothing to do! It is a great hotel and good value for money.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011 via mobile

The George is a newly built contemporary and stylish hotel. It is ideally situated a 5 minute walk from the beach, bars and shops of Paceville. St Julians is a pleasent 10 minute stroll and Valletta is 30 minutes by bus. Our room is spacious, comfortable and exceeded our expectations. The roof terrace and pool are perfect; although I am not sure that there is sufficient capacity to cater for a full house. Breakfast was excellent and plentiful. Filter coffee was included - better coffee was available but at extra cost and the staff were not the most attentive.

However, there are a few issues which I feel compelled to highlight:

Corporate Events - two business events have taken place during our stay. One at the pool bar, which made me feel uncomfortable to buy a beer. Another which meant that the most desirable tables at breakfast (50+ places) were reserved but we never saw anyone eating at them. I do not believe that guests should be made to feel like second class citizens.

The in-room hotel guide says that 'complimentary Mediterranean tapas' is served from 6pm - 8pm during the summer months. This was news to the barman. He summoned the manager who ask 'is there a problem' - we only casually enquired - the manager explain that tapas is only served during the summer (which doesn't include June) he kindly offered us a drink to make up for the misunderstanding.

The hotel is advertised as a 'Spa Hotel' which it is clearly not. It has an indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna (full stop). Not beauty treatments. These facilities are unattended and often inactive. I managed to get the jacuzzi working but it was several degrees too cold. The sauna was switched on some days but not others.

Overall, this is a very good hotel. If it can address the issues I raise it would be an excellent hotel.

• Stayed June 2011
Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Where to begin? Firstly, let me thank all the staff, who acted in a very professional manner, especially the following:-

Caroline, who handled the booking reservation, helpful and courteous whilst conducting business.

Head Housekeeper Geraldine, for arranging in the room a special bouquet of flowers I had ordered as a little surprise for my wife. The room cleaning Service was also very good.

Also, Operations Manager, Mr. Antoine Torpiano, who, upon our arrival, sent a complementary bottle of wine to our room.

My wife and I booked two night’s stay in a penthouse with partial sea view on the fifth floor of The George.

We arrived in the room to find the flat screen television switched on and a special greeting message displayed on the screen. The room was furnished with very comfortable furniture and soft lighting; the décor was chic and modern giving a warm and relaxing atmosphere.

We also received complimentary bathrobes and slippers for use in either the Health Spa/Pool located on the lower ground floor or the rooftop pool area. Eventually we decided to use the Health Spa/Pool area. We found this area most relaxing, with soft music playing while we used the steam room and Sauna.

Although the restaurant was open, we decided to explore and venture out on each of the two nights of our stay. There are many different restaurants located near the Hotel. The Hotel is in fact central to all amenities such as chemist, barber, newspaper and gift shops with two main banks very close by.

Most of the requisites needed are within a very short walking distance.

We found the 24/7 bar to be very useful for items such as extra bottles of water was the Mini 24/7 Bar, located near the reception area. The bill for these items could be paid at reception or booked to one’s room.

On the day we were due to leave we arranged for a late checkout and decided to spend one last time at the rooftop pool. Whilst there reception staff stored our luggage until we finally checked out.

Upon returning home I can truly say to friends and relations that the George Hotel is:-

A modern gem in the centre of the Mediterranean

Value for money!

Relaxing atmosphere!

Friendly staff!

A wonderful Hotel!

We will stay there again soon!

“5 star service for the price of 4 stars!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Stayed for a week, from the 9th till the 15th May, booked a delux room but was upgraded to a Junior Suite ( Great Staff ). Room clean and very spacious, beds very very comfortable.The out door pool is located on the 6th floor with a well sized pool and a sea view in the distance. The pool bar was open most of the week but not regularly. Lobby area is amazing with their modern design. Free internet and WiFi offered in the lobby. The hotel is located in the center of pace-ville, with a multitude of restaurants which will satisfy everyone's taste buds.
Bus terminus located just 5 minutes from hotel, and the beach 10 minutes.
Reception staff helpful and very accommodating.All in all a great holiday . PS the boose is cheap drink up lads.....

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

We had a fantastic stay at The George!..it felt like we were home with our comforts, 'friends' in all the staff that helped us out with buses, places to see and just general care.

Josef our adorable concierge was an out and out STAR! My daughter & I were treated like royalty, so too, were the other 2 friends who stayed in another room,nearby, who had travelled all the way from Italy to meet us. It was a grand reunion as we enjoyed the facilities to the Max. We had 2 pools to choose from, with the roof-top pool allowing us to enjoy the views, the sun, the comfortable loungers and a nice cool drink....Heavenly!
The night-life was on our doorstep, so we didn't have to travel far to enjoy a couple of drinks and worry about driving back.
The rooms were VERY CLEAN and the housekeeping staff were excellent...nothing was too much trouble. How could anyone fault it? Everything felt new and fresh and the decor is soothing and relaxing.
Breakfast was a feast not just in the food offerings but with the staff who took us under their wing and generally made a fuss about pleasing us and remembering our choices for the following morning, which impressed and gob-smacked us! What a special group of staff!! x
What more can one say?...It was the most memorably happy reunion in the best place anyone could wish for! WELL DONE & THANK YOU ALL!!

• Stayed May 2011
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I'm really disappointed to be giving a negative review of this hotel, as I was initially very impressed with it. Unfortunately, the room we were upgraded to seems to have had bed bugs, and I've spent the last week unable to sleep properly and devoting hours to cleaning my home and all of my personal belongings.

I emailed the hotel to let them know about the problem so that they could inspect and treat the room, and I did not receive a reply. Again, disappointing as I would have hoped to at least receive an apology and to hear them say that they would take care of the problem so that no future travellers would be affected.

I've now spent a lot of time, money, and worry on treating this situation, as I fear my entire home may have been affected by these things--I've thrown out my suitcase and spent a fortune on dry cleaning, not to mention the hours vaccuming and doing laundry. In light of this, some kind of acknowledgement from the hotel would have been nice.

Save yourself the stress of dealing with this problem and stay elsewhere. (And no matter where you stay, take precautions against this sort of thing, such as keeping your suitcase in an elevated place rather than on the ground).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Thank you for your time in reviewing The George.

We are very concerned to read about this incident and have started immediate investigations, however please note that it is our standard procedure that we regularly ensure all our property in free from any pests. Could you please contact me directly on ma@thegeorgemalta.com so I can further rectify this matter.

Regards,
Malcolm
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Lovely well designed hotel, spacious and minimalistic. Rooms are of good size with comfortable bed - shame about the constant banging sound throughout the night which kept us awake! Also AC pretty noisy.
No hotel information provided in the room.
Reception staff were very friendly and helpful.
Rooftop pool was very nice but the bar up there was unmanned and there were never any towels put out for people to use (note, there is currently some building works opposite the hotel so can get quite noisy up there).
The location is very good, 2 mins walk to some very good restaurants. The nearby bars appeared to cater more for the younger crowd.

Room Tip: Room away from banging sound (if poss)