“Fitness centre needs a lot of work” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Cap d'Ail
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fitness centre needs a lot of work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The hotel itself is okay, nice view of the port.

I will say there is a reason why the isn't many photos of the fitness suite, it is very dated and you would struggle to get much from it, I think it is just there to say the hotel has a fitness suite, very disappointed with it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Prosper, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We absolutely loved this hotel. The restaurant was very good. We were able to walk most places. Did take a bus (which stops right outside the hotel) to Eci (which is a must place to visit!). The room was very lovely and faced the marina where we could watch the yachts come in and out of the harbor.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
South Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

If you are driving to the hotel, very difficult to find because of all the tunnels and lack of signs. Once we got there, hotel was nice. Nothing exceptional. Upgraded to a suite with a great view. Pool area was very inviting although did not use.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the harbor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My first time in Monaco for business... I was concerned by the reviews, but as my colleague had already booked the rooms, I just hoped for the best.

We got the bus from the airport straight to the hotel, despite being early, our rooms were ready, after a small confusion about the amount of days we were staying (had booked 2 and then added 2 more on) we were given our card keys with a cheerful smile.

My colleague had a room with a balcony and a view of the harbour, yes the helicopters were coming in to land, but this was not an issue. My room was of the mountain view and the neighbouring apartments. There was also the training pitch for the local football team, which some people may find annoying, but the lack of free internet, meant that was my entertainment for an hour or two before setting out.

The rooms were clean and spacious, a king size bed and plenty of storage space. The bathrooms were equipped well and had large towels!

The only 2 small things were that the TV had terrible picture quality, my colleagues room was the same, and they did not always fill up the teas and coffees.. we had to phone for milk and sugar on a couple of occasions, but they were promptly brought up with a smile :)

The restaurant was lovely, not to expensive, we had the sea bass and the burger on one night and the lamb and the Carbonara on another night, service was excellent with no issues.

The hotel is some distance away from things, but there is a bus stop 2 minutes walk which gives you buses for all routes around Monaco and we had no issue with these.

On the day of check out we were assisted by a very helpful man on front desk, who even sorted out for the shuttle bus to leave 30 mins earlier to get us to the train station.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Rooms are fine and if you get a room with a balcony and a view, then it’s golden. Hotel lobby is inviting and the outdoor poolside areas are gorgeous besides the good quality/elaborate breakfast.

But as for the hotel service and location, where do I start - we have never seen such a big hotel lacking on so many fronts but still running well in such expensive and competitive city... My guess is that the hotel caters to big groups, thus small group of people or couples should avoid this property …

Firstly, don't try to depend on the shuttle service for drop-off since they can leave anytime AROUND the scheduled time, earlier or later, depends on their mood ... Let’s not even dare to coordinate a pickup in case shuttle went out to drop people in the same area where you want to be picked up …

Concierge’s are out any time, any day, so you are on your own since even the front desk staff can't help you …

Rooms don't get cleaned or refilled with bar food in case you leave room in the afternoon when the rule is that housekeeping staff works/checks rooms until 4:00 PM...

Lastly, good luck finding the hotel since it's away from everything and hidden in an alley, so if you are arriving at night and don't have a really good/working GPS, keep some time aside to find this hotel ...

Room Tip: If you don't expect good service, have a rental car with a working GPS and the room rates are lo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Hotel looks like it wasn't updated since it was a Ramada. No air conditioning. Lock on door didn't work correctly. Food not up to par. The free hotel shuttle into town was great. Drivers very helpful.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

OH GOODNESS.....where to begin....
We got to our floor and the carpets were disgusting and the halls smelled musty and it was HOT!! Got to our room which the carpets are stained and worn and the room was HOT! We turned on the supposed air conditioning and took a nap only to wake up drenched in sweat!! Called downstairs to be told there was NO AIR CONDITIONING!! I told them it says there is A/C on their website and they said sorry, no air conditioning, open your door!!! REALLY?

Later we wanted to go up to the Casino, went downstairs to catch the shuttle they told us they offered only to be told, sorry.....there is only room for 7 people and there's no room for you. We asked for them to call a Taxi, they told us Taxi refuses to come this far...they are too busy. So, we decided to walk it. The walk was nice but it is quite a walk. If you are in heels you are in for an uncomfortable journey. The hotel is by no means anywhere close to where everything is. We were able to get the shuttle for the remainder of the trip because we learned you have to book it EARLY!!! What I did find odd, is I saw many people go to the front desk and ask for a shuttle to be told there was no room....however I saw 2-5 people in there on a regular basis and it seats 7, so there was room many times. It was almost as if they got some type of enjoyment out of causing trouble for the customers.

The front desk staff is RUDE!!! There is one older woman and a front desk manager that were always kind but the rest were unhelpful and rude!! Unless you speak to the older woman forget about getting a restaurant recommendation!!

The restaurant was a whole experience in itself! I went for lunch alone while my husband was at a conference. The manager sat me down and noone other than the manager ever would wait on me!!! I ordered water, soup and a salad with the manager. I waited forever and the soup finally came (supposed to be hot soup but was barely warm and still....NO WATER!! He called out to a young lady. She brings an open bottle of water and he catches her and he speaks French to her and she storms off. When she returns with a closed bottle of water, she literally SLAMS it on my table!!! I finished my meal and noone came to check on me. Finally I saw the manager again and asked him for a Latte and a check. The Latte came barely luke warm, so I paid the check and left. These people just don't seem to want customers at this hotel!!

Now for the bed....oh what a nightmare!! Hard and EXTREMELY LUMPY!!! Not only was the bed hindering our sleep but the fact that the room was hot and you heard all the noise outside including the helicopters because the helicopter pad is very close by, the entire stay was a nightmare!! (Impossible to sleep without the door open)

The maids seem to think they have free access to your rooms because daily they would come in 4-6 times a day. Think they figured noone would be in the room but because we were so far away from everything, I tended to stay inside more than I ever have in the past years. The last day I finally had enough and told them to leave and not return!! I was trying to take a nap and they just kept coming for no apparent reason!

Location stinks, noise is awful, room is HOT, maids are annoying, service is poor and rude. This is our 4th year in Monaco and we have never had a hotel with this poor of service and never had another hotel in Monaco that didn't have air conditioning.....truly ridiculous!!!

Room Tip: Finda different hotel!!!! The cost break compared to other hotels isn't worth the grief!! If...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Riviera La Porte de Monaco? Share your experiences!