“Not What I Was Expecting, Should of Stuck With My Wifes Choice” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romance, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Not What I Was Expecting, Should of Stuck With My Wifes Choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

After seeing the Restaurant was in the top 5 (at the time) on this website and various recommendations over the years, I managed to change my wifes mind from eating at Asiana to eat here for the 1st ever time for our Wedding Anniversary.
Upon being seated i was presented with a very bare table setting with a cheap paper serviette,
My Wife ordered Onion Bhaji and I ordered King Prawn on puree, My wifes Bhaji was Just Run of the Mill and my King Prawn on Puree was just overpowering with heat but packed very little flavour.and I do wish some Indian Restaurants could try and be a little more inventive and take some pride in presentation instead of getting the obligatory 1980's iceberg lettuce, Tomato and Cucumber garnish, This unfortunately was not one of them.
For Main Course my wife had Prawn Dansak and I chose the Mixed Kebab we also had a garlic and cheese Naan and a pilau rice to accompany the dishes.
The Prawn Dansak again was Run of the mill nothing too exciting, And after taking a bite of the lamb from my mixed kebab I was soon disappointed with my choice the meat was Tough and again not much skill shown on the flavour front it was just heat, I struggled to eat half. The Cheese and Garlic Naan However was (when you got some cheese in your Mouthful) talk out loud nice it was amazing it's just a shame the rest of the meal was not up to the same standards. After Having my mouth assassinated by heat i decided to have some Vanilla ice cream to clean my palate, This was lovely and i enjoyed every mouthful.
The service was again okay but that was the whole dining experience just okay, I feel the Motiraj is living off its long standing reputation as being one of, if not the best restaurant in Sunderland, Maybe the day of my visit was an off day or the Head Chef was on his/her day off. Unfortunately it was so underwhelming i would not go back and give it a 2nd chance.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Amazing food, every time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This is my absolute favourite Indian restaurant. I have never been disappointed. Great food everytime and service is always great. Never have to wait long for a table even if you haven't booked. Staff are willing to make curries to particular taste. The food is good value particularly on Thursday and Sundays on the special offers. Would recommend to anyone.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Just simply excellent yet again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I've written a few reviews about Moti Raj and again i feel I have to write again just to confirm how excellent this place is. Went out last night (Thursday) with a few mates from work and the place was absolutely heaving, however this did not detract from excellent service as the waiters were prompt and efficient. We were a party of 8 and every single one of us commented on just how tasty the food was, I plumped for the Tandoori chicken bhuna masala and it was delicious, every mouthful a taste sensation of aromatic spicy chicken. Everything about the meal, the rice, the naan bread the mixed kebab starter was just perfect. This is THE place to go for a curry in Sunderland! Sunderland has a lot of good curry houses, Bengal Dream, Cafe Spice but this is the number 1.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best Indians in Town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Visited here for the hubby's birthday with family on a Wednesday evening. The restaurant was fairly quiet but what you would expect for mid-week. Plenty to choose from on the menu & food was delicious. I never go anywhere else for an Indian meal as it really is excellent every time we go. Would definitely recommend trying this restaurant!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Not as good as reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I am not a big fan of indian takeaways but we were told that this place is nice.ordered some food and when we got home we realised a starter was missing.i could not even be bothered to ring them and complain.maybe we were the unlucky one. Will not order again as the food was not that tasty anyway.so i dont know what the fuss is about.

Visited August 2013