“Authentic, fresh and friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Authentic, fresh and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I visited with my parents on a friday evening. The place was buzzing, so definitely book in advance! However, the staff were very friendly and accommodating, and the food was fantastic. My parents both had different steamed fish dishes, specials of the day, which were generously portioned, incredibly fresh, and perfectly cooked. I had a simple fusilli arrabiatta dish but the pasta was probably the best pasta dish I have ever eaten outside italy, especially for such a simple meal. Reasonably priced too! Highly recommended, perfect for a date or special occasion without being stuffy.

Visited September 2013

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Consistency is king!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Been going to San Marino's for several years, for fmaily meals, couples, work events and with friends and it always delivers. One of the better steaks I've had in and around Sunderland, I have absolutely no idea about the other review; the food is always fresh and piping hot, sometimes a small (but perfectly acceptbale delay) can be had between courses when busy.

An excellent happy hour menu or al a carte to please everyone, with some fantastic specials, especially if you appreciate seafood. We also find it very reasonably priced.

It has recently undergone a small modernisation of decor, but still retains the unmistakable San Marino look and feel that makes it so popular.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“A good night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I'd 1st like to say, I'd never even heard of this restaurant until last week. However I was surprised at how a restaurant small in size delivered big!

We were there for a 40th birthday celebration. We did have to book in advance and order our starters and main courses as there was 19 people in this party and we only chose San Marino as my girlfriends dad was on crutches and it was easy access for him.

There was, in my opinion, 2 negatives to my experience. The first is that the restaurant only gave us 2 hours in total because we were a large party and we were eating in the happy hour time. The second was I felt that a couple of times during the night the waiters would stand around looking to see if we were done eating and they would sometimes frequently ask if we were done so they could clear the table. I felt a little pressured to finish my meal.

Despite this the restaurants service was extremely quick. We had finished our starters and main course in one hour.

The food was very good; I had spaghetti bolognese and it was just the right portion size. For my girlfriends and I's starter and main it came to approximately £16-£17.

The waiters were also very polite and they even brought out the birthday cake and sang happy birthday.

Overall a couple of negative but San Marino definitely impressed and I would eat there again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent anti-pasta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

If there is any better anti-pasta in the north, never mind Sunderland then I would be astounded - very, very good. No further courses were neccessary. The best I have had outside Italy.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food and service every time. Always helpful and accommodating. Looking forward to going back. Thank you.

• Visited July 2013