“As close as you can get to authentic Asian food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern, Pakistani
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
London
“As close as you can get to authentic Asian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I went to Monsoon Kitchen for dinner last weekend and was very impressed by the quality of the food and the friendliness of the staff. We were seated straight away and did not have to wait around for our meal. I highly recommend the sweet lassi, the paani puri chaat, peshawari karahi and the desi chai, all of which were delicious.

Excellent value for money too. The ingredients are fresh and you can tell that all of the food has been prepared with care. I will definitely be coming back for more!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Unique Asian food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We decided to go here after some friends recommended it, we were a bit hesistent having read one review though (which apparently was removed for belonging to an opposition restaurant!). We walked in and saw the incredible décor and we were greeted by the staff promptly. We were a bit confused as some of the dishes we had never heard of before but we thought we would give it a go - I am glad we did! For starters we ordered onion bhajis - these came out really hot and tasted very nice with this brown chutney (not sure what it was called!)I highly recommend trying these! For mains I ordered a seeikh kebab sandwich - really tasty mince sausage type things with a fresh salad and chutneys. I absolutely loved it. I did not try any of the desserts but my friend enjoyed the rice pudding and I have to say it looked pretty with rose petals and nuts on top of it. Will definitely be going back for more, this time to try the saag which my friend said was out of this world.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Restaurant and Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was my first time visiting Monsoon Kitchen whilst visiting a friend.
The onion bhajis were incredibly tasty, crispy and flavoursome. I have never had anything like them. The steak was tender and nicely seasoned, and my carrot dessert was treacly. My friend ordered the bombay biryani and prawn korma, and said it was the best he ever had. We absolutely will be returning again.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Not great”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Before I write this, I will say in fairness that we went on a night where we think there might have been a problem in the kitchen...but it was awful. Neither me nor my partners are complainers, but we'd never go back - we had been really looking forward to it due to the good reviews. We got a takeaway - we ordered from (slightly confused) staff and were asked to pop back in half an hour. So we did. We were then told a large table had come in after us and no one had actually made our order (they could have phoned us before we trailed back). My partner was sent home again to wait another 40 minutes. At this point we were ready to cancel it, but we were hungry and gave them one last shot....partner went back to collect and the food was STILL not ready. We did eventually get our takeaway, 90 minutes after ordering it, opening it with the words "this had better be nice". Alas mine was totally tasteless, the rice appeared to be microwave packet rice and the poppodoms were small and circular - like from a packet of crisps. My boyfriend took one bite of his (gristly and very pink) chicken, retched and the whole lot went in the bin for fear of food poisoning.

In the spirit of trying to find something nice to say - the owner was friendly, incredibly apologetic and only charged us £5 for £20 worth of food because of the poor service. Shame the quality of the food we had on that particular evening wasn't even worth that. It may have been a one off though, so I hope you all have better experiences than we did!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Unique Asian dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My teenage son and I were delighted to return to Monsoon Kitchen after visiting a few times months ago when it first opened. The food is just as good as it was, and the menu has been slightly refined. The staff are super-friendly and love to talk about the dishes and how they've been prepared. Surroundings are very comfortable and colourful, with HUGE wooden tables. I'd thoroughly recommend Monsoon Kitchen and would urge you to try the onion bahji starter - like nothing you've had before, but really delicious. Oh, the tikka chicken masala is great too, although very different to the deeply red dishes you're served elsewhere. As a teetotaller, I don't mind the fact they don't serve alcohol. We'll certainly be back again!