“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 Sunderland B&B and Inns
Yate, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The title sums this place up in one word! I stayed here for 3 nights as part of a trip to see friends and I'm very glad I chose to stay here.Upon arrival I was met by John the owner, who is a very friendly, welcoming host. I had Room 1, which is a family room on the ground floor at the front of the building. The room itself was large, clean and comfortable which is basically all you need (I particularly like the chair in the window overlooking the sea!). The only slight drawback I found is that it's right next to the front door so you can hear people coming and going but as I am quite a heavy sleeper this didn't bother me too much. The en-suite bathroom, while small, is clean and had a full set of towels and toiletries. For breakfast there is a good choice of cooked items and cereals, the cooked breakfast being prepared to order so it's all fresh. Transport wise, it's a little bit out of town as it's on Roker seafront, but there is a bus stop practically outside the front door and it's only a 15 minute walk to the nearest metro station (Stadium of Light) so it's easy to get to by public transport. There is ample free parking at the front of the hotel.

All in all a great weekend just made better by my stay here. Will definitely be back in the future.

Room Tip: Room 1 has a lovely sea view. Perhaps not so good if you're a light sleeper though.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Berwick on Tweed, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

my girlfriend and i stayed in here last night 19/07/2013...best place i have ever stayed bedrooms immaculate,breakfast was fantastic,friendly and excellent customer service would like to say thank you to them and we will definately be back................
stuart harvey.........

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at The Chaise on a regular basis for the last couple of years, and - even before I arrived - the service was excellent. Knowing I was a woman travelling on my own and arriving after 11pm, John offered to pick me up. Unfortunately, due to a family commitment, he was unable to do so, but gave me a local taxi number to call as soon as I got here.

On 'Thunder Thursday' last year I was unable to leave Sunderland due to the flooding. Not only did John find me a room, but also for two members from our local office who were also unable to get home that night. He picked us all up at the Metro station and the office.

I have always enjoyed my stays there and appreciate everything that John and family do for their guests.

Thank you all!

Arlene

PS Pauline makes the best Bacon Toasties

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Wonderful b&b set on the seafront with spectacular views and its a 2 minute walk down to the beach. I stayed for 3 nights on my own while visiting family. You are made to feel welcome and John is a wonderful host, friendly greeting and he made sure he introduced himself in person. The room was really spacious and the bed was more comfy than the one I have at home.. The whole b&b was very clean and tidy and well organised. Breakfast was delicious with a variety of choices and evening meals were also on offer. Would highly recommend and will certainly be using again.. WELL DONE JOHN & Co :-)

Room Tip: sea view rooms are fantastic :-)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family and I stayed in Sunderland for 5 days when I had my graduation. Upon consulting Trip Advisor, we decided to book at the Chaise. I booked well in advance, because I was scared it would be completely full. I was met with fantastic customer service even before my stay. I changed my reservation a few times, because various family kept changing their minds, but everything was handled and I already felt fantastic (and incredibly unstable, sorry John!). Then we arrived, and were met with smiles and a wonderful room. Beautiful sea view, large beds, just wonderful. The breakfast was also great, the staff remembered our drink order after the first day. The best part was the friendliness which John and his family offered. A quote, in the reception area of this Guest House, said "Come as strangers, leave as friends" [if that's not exactly right, I do apologize, but that was the meaning], but this was exactly what I felt at the end of our stay.
The only negative things I can say is that my grandma had a small problem with the bed (but then again, you can't always choose the mattress. And another is the wifi, which was a bit hard to get, but with us being on holiday, being out of signal range was actually quite nice.
So thank you thank you thank you. This stay made my graduation so much more enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came to Sunderland for a wedding on 5th July 2013. I found this b&b through trip advisor and saw all the lovely comments people had put. Well we weren't disappointed John is the perfect host. Friendly greeting bit of comedy thrown in and were given the flat for the same price as a double room !!! Spotlessly clean , comfy beds lovely views of the sea !! The breakfast was superb 10/10. On the day of the wedding John even took us to the venue just down the road in Sunderland , how about that for service !!? After the wedding festivities the full English certainly hit the spot the morning after. Can't fault the stay if you are coming to Sunderland you can't beat The Chaise . Thanks John and staff 10/10 .

Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here at the end of the C2C bike ride. John and his staff were very welcoming and hospitable. We had some good advice on evening meals and places to drink. Beds were a little small but I am 6ft 5 so everywhere I stayed on the trip was uncomfortable.

The breakfast was first class and the secure lock up for bikes was very useful.

Would definitely use again if I was staying in Roker.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Chaise Guest House? Share your experiences!