“What else can I say....” 2 of 5 stars

Scandic Haugesund
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kirkegata 166, Haugesund 5525, Norway   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Haugesund
Oslo, Norway
“What else can I say....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have stayed at Scandic Haugesund for several periods. Rooms are great, clean and really nice looking. I have been there during the cold winter nights mostly, and during this time the rooms are cold. Really cold. And the temperature cannot be controlled with the remote control. The bathrooms floors where ice-cold to. I also rented a movie, but it was not possible to watch it. Because it was lagging all the time. In January 2012 we also rented at conference room with a special offer they have in Scandic hotels. It includes lunch, and coffee, cakes and so on. In the firm I work for we use Scandic Haugesund a lot. The ventilation problem seems to follow me around when I’m at this hotel. We also had problems with the food arriving to late, this has happened several times.
I talked with the meeting and conference manager and she said that this happens sometimes because the kitchen could be busy. Well I would accept this excuse one time at least. But the funny thing is that the food and drinks we ordered always came late. And still did when we had the last conference in early April this year. I also talked with a colleague of mine that had a conference there may this year, there still were problems with the ventilation and the food being late.
I have been to a lot of hotels in Haugesund, also Rica Maritim Hotels. And when I was there the last time I thought I was back at the same hotel, because there were a lot of people at Scandic that used to work at Rica Maritim. Makes me wonder why Scandic have so many former people from Rica working there. Well by all means this does not bother me. But it should bother the management at Scandic.
Scandic Haugesund is well worth the visit, but they have things that need to be fixed. And a working ventilation system is one of them. And one last thing, I found dust and so on in the ventilation system in the hallway, and even over the ventilation system in the breakfast area. But I pretended not to see that….

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

An OK hotel centrally located in a small sleepy town. Functional, but with absolutely no character or soul. Clean and tidy with free and fast wifi. Very friendly personell. Breakfast is also OK, but nothibg more. It has the typical style you can expect from a chain hotel, were costs are under strict control.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mathias M, General Manager at Scandic Haugesund, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Terje

Thank you for your feddback regarding your stay at Scandic Haugesund

I am sorry too see that you find our hotel without character or soul.

I am very happy to see that our personell as very freindly , we work very hard to live under our 3 values , carring, creative and casual. It is also very nice to see that you find our hotel clean and tidy.

I hope to see you again next time you are in haugesund

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The hotel was fine. I stayed here for several days on business. It is close to the waterfront and several good restaurants and pubs. As others have said, overpriced like everything in Norway. Unfortunately even parking in the basement was extra and it was necessary to purchase a new tag each day. They claim to be very green - even the room key-cards are made of wood!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Scandic Haugesund

I am Happy too see that you find our hotel fine and score our service at top.

We are very proud over our Eco-freindly hotel and we work hard to becoming even more eco-freidly.

Hope too see you next time you are visiting haugesund

Best Regards
Haugesund
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I've stayed at the Scandic Haugesund for several periodes, and honestly speaking; rooms are cold because heating is out of order. It is not possible to adjusting room temperature as you wish. This is a new hotel and it shall be possible to adjust actual room temperature at TV-screen, but this system is not working. Oven is cold all the time, so I always have to order a mobile el-oven to obtain a comfortable temperature. I have reported this problem to reception oraly and by writing, but I think management/hotel director don't care. Rest of the hotel is ok and friendly. I do not recommend Scandic Haugesund at cold days.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Mathias M, General Manager at Scandic Haugesund, responded to this review, August 24, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Scandic Haugesund

We apologies for any inconvenience you had during your stay.

This problem is new for us , however we want to thank you for your honest feedback and can now inform that we have contacted our supplier and the system is undergoing a full check.

Hope to se you again

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I've just spent 3 nights in a very large room. It's the uber-scandinavian style : minimalist but still everything you need is there.(even the iron and ironing board is there hidden between the wall and the wardrobe which is itself stuck between the wall and the full length mirror) . I still don't know how they do it!!! Absolutely brilliant.
The shower is the perfect one : you don't need a doctorate in "showering" to relax after a great day out. Your room is clear and seem empty but every thing you need is there. The room was clean, you can open the window. The breakfast was superb and most of all the staff are very nice and really professional. There was this nice young chap at reception waving at me every time I entered the lobby!

The hotel is 5 minutes walk from the Flotmyr bus terminal and right in the heart of town. Haugesund is great and when I go back I'll go back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Mathias M, General Manager at Scandic Haugesund, responded to this review, August 3, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Scandic Haugesund

It makes us very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay here with us and that you liked Haugesund.

The staff are very happy to see that you have rated their service at topp.

It makes me very happy to see that you find our solution with ironing board brilliant

Hope to see you again soon and welcome back

Trondheim, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Very standard hotel in Haugesund, Norway. Nothing special in any way, just one of those many hotels where one can spend the night. Over-priced, of course - like everything in Norway. Centrally located. Small rooms, decent breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Oyvind

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Scandic Haugesund

I am sorry to see that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay here in Haugesund.

We always try to give people away from home the feeling of being among freinds.

Dear Oyvind, do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is something we can do to make your stay better next time you coming to Haugesund.

Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

This was a nice hotel. Good value for the money. New and Clean rooms.

Room Tip: Choose the largest room, not so big a price difference.