“Average hotel, good connections to Helsinki and the airport” 3 of 5 stars

Original Sokos Hotel Vantaa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hertaksentie 2, Vantaa 01300, Finland   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Vantaa
Kouvola, Finland
“Average hotel, good connections to Helsinki and the airport”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I have stayed twice in this hotel, both times in a superior room on the upper floors and had no problems sleeping. I have stayed only during the week, though, so can’t say anything about the noise from the night club on weekends, but I don’t think the noise would be an issue on the upper floors. You should just ask for a quiet room when checking in.

Both of the rooms I’ve stayed in were nice and modernly furnished with spacious and clean bathroom. As a previous reviewer mentioned, the bathroom floor does get wet after taking a shower, which can be quite annoying. I think the rooms have been renovated recently as the color of the floor carpet didn’t seem to match anything else in the room, just wondering why they haven’t changed that as well. There are rooms with parquet floor, which you can choose when booking.

The rooms were not very big, just enough space for two separate beds, an armchair and a writing desk with a chair. There was, however, quite a lot of space to hang your clothes and there was also an iron with an ironing board hidden in the cupboard with the mini bar. There are coffee and tea making facilities in the superior room (I’m not sure if they’re included in the standard rooms as well) and you can also find complimentary cookies and water bottles on the desk. On my last visit I had a room on the 6th floor overlooking the railway station, which was nice, even though the view isn’t that great.

The breakfast is served in the restaurant on the 2nd floor and it´s the usual Sokos Hotels quality. There are plenty of choices from cold to warm dishes, so you’ll get your stomach full for sure. It gets quite crowded, so you better go there early in order to find a free table.

The main reason why I chose this hotel was the convenient location. I was attending a class at a nearby education center and was arriving by train, so the location was unbeatable. As the railway station is practically next door to the hotel, it’s very easy to travel to Helsinki. And if you need to get to the airport, just take the bus #61 that stops in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Tallinn, Estonia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

stayed there, as it was bookd by organizers for the meeting. too noisy after 8 PM, as bars are opened and you acn see why alcohol is a problem in this city and country. Mini-bar - empty? better you go to the bar for drink? breakfast average. location? so -so, if you do not wnat to visit Helsinki too often. If not a very special occasion, difficult to imagine, that I will choose that Hotel to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I did not have a good stay here. I stayed for 2 nights and I could not chose the location because it had already been arranged for me. First of all, the staff in reception was not very good at handling check ins so I spent a lot of time for checking in. Then, when I arrived on the elevator on my floor, I was struck by the smell of smoke although there was a sign saying that smoking was forbidden. I arrived in my room and I saw that I had an ashtray on the table, which meant that my room was a smoking one. I must mention that at any point did I say that I was a smoking person. The window was so bad, old, did not close very well, you could hear very well the sounds from outside, it has cigarette burns on the side. Everything smelled like smoke: the sheets, the blanket, the pillow. The bathroom was poor, many things looked that they had been abused by the previous clients. The remote control for the tv was so dirty that I had to wrap it in napkins to use it because it was afraid not to get bacteria. I ask the reception if my room was a smoking one and they said no. I complained about the smell of smoke in the room and on the hallway and they apologized but did not offer to change rooms. In order to be able to sleep, I had to wrap myself in the big shower towels so that I could not smell the smoke of the sheets on the bed (the towels did not smell). Breakfast was reasonable, average, normal. The hotel was full of people, a footbal team in particular. So, if you have to chose where to stay in Helsinki or near it, please chose something else. It is not worth the money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Logan, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I came to Tikkurila, Vantaa for a workshop. This was pretty much the only option for me.

PROS: the train stop is very close and only 20 minutes (4.50 euros) into Helsinki, very accessible; accessible to other parts of the Tikkurila area by walking; the breakfast buffet (although quite normal for Europe) is above and beyond if you are American, very plentiful and varied; I worried about the parties interrupting my sleep as well, however being on the 5th floor I totally missed out on a jam-packed dance party that I really would have liked to experience! Other than 2 loud voices in the hallway, I had no idea there was a party going on. Close to the airport 15 minutes (~18 euros); cabbies take AMEX.

CONS: even though you hang your towels to reuse like the sign says, they still took away my towls and gave me new ones. I was trying to be water conscientious. The feel of the lobby/dining area is kind of dark, not really modern or bright and cheery either; the hotel bedpsread and the sitting chair have odd stains on them. Kind of ew, I put a town on the chair before I sit down; the floors look dirty and scuffed up; the shower gets water all over the floor so you cannot wear your slippers in there or even dry your hair because the floor is wet even after squeegeeing the water away. Who wants to stand on a cold, wet tile floor while getting ready? There is a door there, but it didn't work well unless you pointed the shower head into the corner and bathed in the corner; the water never got really hot. In fact there were a few shots of cold in there. I never felt like I could relax in the shower. It's luke warmish and then you get out to stand on cold, wet tile!

Room Tip: 5th floor was far enough from the music on the 2nd floor not to be heard
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed here as it was close to where I was working and recommended. Arrived late Saturday night (close to midnight) and was astonished at the number of people around the foyer and the volume of the music. Not what I really wanted in order to sleep and be refreshed to start work on Sunday morning! However, I’d booked a room on a quiet floor and, despite this being on the second floor and close to where the high volume music was playing, the silence hit me as soon as I closed the corridor’s security door. The room was clean and comfortable with tea/coffee making facility and the bonus of a heated bathroom floor.
Reception staff were friendly and efficient and, when I queried the fact that I’d booked at a rate that was higher than that currently on offer, was immediately given a lower quote (which was honoured at check out).
The included buffet breakfast is extensive and good quality and there are plenty of restaurants within easy walking distance for evening meals although the hotel’s own restaurant is quite reasonable.
I asked about booking a taxi for the airport as I had the first flight out on Saturday morning and was told not to bother as the bus left in plenty of time, would only cost a couple of Euro, and wouldn’t take much longer to make the journey – great advice which saved me around €35.

Room Tip: Book a quiet floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

It was very busy and a lot of noise in the hotel due the f act there was a party on Saturday evening. We mentioned that by the reception office the next morning.

The staff at the reception desk was very friendly and polite and without any hesitation we received an upgrade to a superior room in a another part of the hotel.

What a perfect service!!! We surely come back to this hotel on our next trip to Helsinki.

Josje and Ruud

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampere, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Would have liked to go to sleep at eleven. Got sleep at about 2 am. I've stayed at hotels that have a nightclub before, but this one is apparently made of cardboard. Should have read some reviews before the trip. Wiser next time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Vantaa? Share your experiences!