“A really nice surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Late Night
Ballerup, Denmark
“A really nice surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Was i Vejle for one night and were looking for a nice place to eat, when I, by browsing the internet, found this restaurant and thought I'd give it a try. When me and my dinner party came in to the hall, we were met by the owner who took care of our coats. We then came inside the restaurant which was beautifully decorated with old royal-looking furniture. Sitting at the table we sure felt like royal in those nice surroundings. The menu is not that big, but the things on it all sounded really delicious. We had two courses which all was perfectly cooked. The owner is very nice and wants his customers to have a great experience, he can tell alot about the different foods and wines. If you are into cheeses, you simply MUST try the cheese-table for dessert, a great selection of cheeses. If you must go to the bathroom, don't forget to take a peek in the wine cellar just across from the bathrooms. All in all a great place if you are into rather fine dining.

• Visited August 2012

Dubai
“Fantastic Gastronomic Experience in Vejle...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Found this little gem on Tripadvisor, a very quaint, homely and nicely fashioned restaurant; kind of looks like what I'd imagine Stephen Frys restaurant to look like (if he had one).

Onto the Food, me and my wife opted for the five course menu with 2 courses of wine...

We started off with a small mini-starter souffle of cod with a creamy sauce, the texture was very light and full of taste...

From the 5 course menu our dishes were:

1/ Lobster Soup with fish and leeks.. I think this is now my all time favourite soup, such amazing taste, very creamy and rich in taste.. I definetly wanted to have a second portion...

2/ Catfish with creamy mustard sauce... A wonderful portion of catfish cooked in a superb sauce with fantastic mustard sauce and mustard seeds

3. Rooster with local mushrooms.. Delightfully cooked rooster with an assortment of local danish mushrooms in a superb mushroom sauce, cooked with some vegetables, presented very well and tasted fantastic.

4. Cheese.. A great cheese cart was rolled out with around a dozen cheeses; I picked the hard cheeses, I don't remember all the names (maybe pressato was one)... The cheeses were very nice; even the (obviously) aged soft cheese I tried that was strong but with the moulded rind even stronger..

5. Creme Brulee.. a superb rendition of a traditional classical dish, maybe a tad too crispy for me but overall was still great..

Merlot has a great chef/host who is entertaining and obviously very passionate about his food and wine (they have an amazing wine cellar and menu)...

For me, this was easily the best restaurant and best dining experience i've had since i moved from Dubai to Denmark... Really looking forward to going back.. It's not the cheapest restaurant but in terms of quality food, fine and atmosphere it's the best for miles around...

• Visited January 2013
“Absolutely superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I visited with 3 colleagues and we had the 5 course meal. The food was superbly cooked and portions were perfect. We left feeling satisfied but not bloated. The wine we chose was a special one so not cheap but was superb. The wine list is fairly comprehensive.

I gave it full marks for value not because its cheap (it's not) but because you get what you pay for. That means its excellent value in my book.

There is an eclectic range of cheeses which we were given a piece of each of 14 different cheeses and offered seconds. The chocolate fondant was cooked to perfection. The lobster bisque scrummy. The home smoked salmon delicious and the veal tender with a divine sauce.

Definitely returning.

Vejle, Denmark
“A great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

The place is very cosy, the building, decoration, fournitures,... Everything makes you feel that this is a special place. The food is good, well prepared, fresh products. The price are reasonnable compared to the experience. Starter + main course for 2 persons without wine would end up around 700 DKK. It was our first time there, but for sure not the last. So far, our favorite place in Vejle.

Delray Beach
“Really good food and nice host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

My wife and I visited this small restaurant in Vejle and we got at big surprise.
The host was fantastic and told a lot of funny stories.
He serviced gourmet food and the wine menu is one of the largest I have seen.
All in all a really good experience.

• Visited September 2011