“Not great value for money.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crocodylus Village

You added Crocodylus Village to your Saves list
Crocodylus Village
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   161 Buchanan Creek Road | Daintree Rainforest, Cow Bay, Cape Tribulation, Queensland 4873, Australia   |
Special Offer
CALL NOW FOR 5% DISCOUNT
Certificate of Excellence 2014
sydney
“Not great value for money.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2006

I had a few people tell me that this was a great place to stay, I was let down a little by the experience not all of which was the fault of the YHA,
Firtly, this resort relies upon great weather, and despite Aug being considered a safe time for good weather we were hit by high wind ssea and rain so all of my planned activities were called off such as Kayaking, reef trips, beach time rainforest walks.
The array of activities on offer was amazing but we could not do many due to poor weather.
I found the private safari tents to be fairly poor value for money as they were half of a large tent which meant you could talk to your neigbours through the walls. Not ideal for my newly married brother and wifenext door to my parents :-(

The large family room hawever was good value which could sleep up to 9.
Kids catered for well with many games and a pool.
Cleanliness was average.
Staff were helpful but I noted that the property was for sale so maybe due for fresh blood running the place.
Other tourist visiting the YHA at the same timeseemed to realy enjoy the experience, I am sorry to say that I would not have reccomended it as good value for money, paying just a little more would probally have brought better value in an alternative property.

• Liked — location and activities on offer
  • Disliked — Safari tents
  • Tips/Secrets — I think that the shared dorm accomodation or familly rooms are the best way to get value from this YHA
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

Crocodylus is a fine example of not jugding a book by its cover. It's a YHA affiliated backpackers resort in the Daintree rainforest. When I say in the rainforest, I really mean in the rainforest. My hut was next to a huge strangler fig, and while I was heading for the toilet block at dusk, a giant cassowary wandered by. The huts are looking a little worse for the wear, and yes (as the previous poster indicated), there are a few holes in the mesh netting. I simply covered these with plasters, and despite being outdoors all day every day, I didn't get one bite. However, the bunks are perfectly comfortable, and you are staying in the forest, and the forest is forever trying to take back the resort. It's so exciting!

There is an excellent restaurant for dinner between 6.30 and 7.30. Every night, there were a few locals coming in to enjoy the food. The manager couldn't be more helpful, and the activities on offer are excellent. I went on a 3 hour guided night walk through the forest, and saw a very rare web casting spider (it makes a net between its legs and holds it like a fishing net - when it sees something tasty, it throws it over its prey, and drags it in). I also went on an amazing snorkling trip, where I saw turtles feeding amongst brightly coloured coral. If I'd had time I would have loved to go on an overnight kayak and camping trip.

There is a beautiful beach 3.5 km away (quite a walk in the heat - probably would have been a better plan to hire some bikes from Crocodlyus!), and also the resort has a one hour walk through their land, where you follow an orange rope so as not to lose the way. This was where I saw a second cassowary (bird about the size of an emu - a bit dangerous if you get in their way, so stay still!).

There is a bar, and internet connection, as well as a kitchen where you can cook for yourself. There is also a small pool, with a big sail over the top to protect it from falling leaves.

If you would like to experience the true rainforest, away from the party party atmosphere of other resorts further up the coast, and you are on a budget, this is the place for you. If you need any further conformation, as you enter reception, read the comments book. I've never seen such outpourings of devotion for a place. It's true that the owner is looking to sell it, but the clientele all love the place, and the visitors book says again, and again, please make sure Crocodylus keeps going.

Good luck Crocodylus.

• Liked — Being at one with the rainforest
  • Disliked — The huts do need some updating
  • Tips/Secrets — Keep your eyes and ears open - who knows what animals you might see!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

I use this website all the time and have found it extremely helpful, so I felt obliged to post this review. We just spent 2 great weeks in Oz and had booked 2 nights at the Crocodylus on a discount website. I had read some good reviews and it sounded like a cool place.

We arrived at noon (check-in time) and checked out 20 minutes later, forfeitting the money we spent on the room for both nights (since the policy is 24 hr cancellation notice and we just missed it for the second night). I have never done this before anywhere.

The room was not clean (bed was unmade) and there were large holes in the screens and huge spiders on the outsides of the screens - which is great to have the wildlife, but not so great when it can easily crawl through the holes in the screen and into your bed. The bathroom and the room were overall very dingy and rundown. Perhaps we were put into an older room because we booked on the discount website? But there was a "For Sale" sign at the entrance to the property and it looked as though the maintenance had been a bit neglected.

It was unfortunate, since it is a beautiful spot and is just a few km from a great, isolated beach. But be wary if you plan to stay here, and definitely request a room without holes in the screens....

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

My family and I recently stayed several nights at Crocodylus Villlage, near Cape Tribulation north of Cairns. We had orginally planned to stay only a couple days in the Cape Trib area. As soon as we crossed the Daintree River ferry and saw the Cape Triblulation jungle, however, we suspected that we might want to stick around a little longer. When we checked into Crocodylus Village, with its open-air bar and restaurant surrounded by ferns, palms, and vines, we extended our booking to six nights. The lodging is in big screen- and canvas-walled cabins. Each cabin is surrounded by enough jungle to have total visual privacy (some sounds do carry between cabins). The staff were friendly and helpful and the meals at the restaurant were good enough (not great, but we we not there for the food). We did several activities in the area, including a morning sea kayak tour (run by Crocodylus) with snorkeling and dolphins swimming right next to us, an overnight kayak/camping tour to Snapper Island (also run by Crocodylus and also with snorkeling), a great snorkel tour to the outer reef with Rum Runners (the highlight of the whole trip to OZ), "jungle surfing (riding zip lines through the trees), and a crocodile tour.

The whole Cape Trib area seemed like a world apart. If you want to buy T-shirts and eat in fancy restaurants, stay in Cairns or Port Douglas. If you want to really get into the jungle and the reef, I'd say go to Cape Trib and stay at Crocodylus.

Been to Crocodylus Village? Share your experiences!