“Fantastic food, great service & good value!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, great service & good value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Visiting the peak district for a few days and the druid inn was recommended by the cottage owners and people in the visitors book.
On arrival the look of the place is a bit unusual - not a pretty pub, but immediately made very welcome by the owners. Tasted a few of the ales before choosing a pint.
Menu was really different and a pleasant change from normal pubs. Food was really good with huge portions!
The dessert sampler was immense!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Warm welcome, excellent cask ale and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I had reason to visit the Druids Inn on more than one occasion on a recent family trip to Birchover. The pub has recently been taken over by Rob and Joyce, a lovely couple who have an infectious enthusiasm about their beer and food. Their pride in the standard of both is not misplaced.
Whether I called in for a quick pint on my own, or visited for a meal with the 8 other family members (age range 9-86!), the welcome was the same and they honestly couldn't have done more to make our visits more enjoyable.
Prices for both beer and food are reasonable, all facilities are well maintained and hygenic, and the 3 chefs they employ as well as bar staff are all obviously very competent.
The fact that the Druids Inn is 75 miles from my Liverpool home, and I intend to visit again in the near future, I think says it all.

• Visited May 2013
Merseyside
“A surprising delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

What a lucky village to have this pub/restaurant on their doorstep!
Found this on the way back from a long day with a hungry and tired toddler.
What a surprise to see a varied but not too lengthy menu on offer. Trio of lamb for one, duo of duck for the other and lots of smiles and sharing for the little one. Meal rounded off with the assiette of deserts, wow! A big slate with a little of everything, to share of course. More pricey than your usual pub grub, but that's what you should expect for such good food. We sat in the old pub, but there is a restaurant side too. Excellent.

• Visited June 2013
Bakewell
“Off the list”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Being fairly local, we have been patrons of the Druid through several changes of management over the years and, hearing that the pub was now open again under new management, we popped in to give it a try. It was a Sunday afternoon, the pub was not busy and I ordered a "Druid Club Sandwich". We sat outside enjoying the rare sunshine but, after about 35 minutes, I went to check on my food order. It hadn't even been sent to the kitchen. Not being prepared to wait any longer I demanded my money back. If this is what it is like when the pub is quiet, heaven knows what it's like when it is busy. We left distinctly unimpressed and will not be returning. Incidentally, the bar had a most unpleasant smell, not unlike animal urine.

Visited June 2013
Derbyshire
“Someone else can drive next time!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We went to the Druid Inn at Birchover yesterday with my son, his wife and twin girls for a 2pm booked table for 6, we got there early to walk up to the rocks with the caves and dwellings above the pub, not sure when they were made and by whom, that's my next job.
We went into the Druid about half an hour early on the off chance and the landlady and young man behind the bar were very friendly and helpful. The choice and more importantly the taste of the beers on sale were brilliant, I could only have the one hence the title.
We took ages to choose from the board, for starters we decided on two having scallops and us having the goats cheese, the landlady said it was ok for the twins to go straight into their sausage and mash children's main, the goats cheese in breadcrumbs with a dressed plate of salad was amazing, the tastes coming out of the food crossed over with every mouthful, I should have remembered what it was actually called but the taste of it took over.
The main courses for the 4 adults - 1 for the vegetarian option and the other 3 of us went for the burger with blue cheese, now that sounds a bit small minded when you can get a burger anywhere!!! believe me you can't get one like this.
The vegetarian dish came on a huge plate and my wife assures me it was delicious, but she couldn't finish it all, the burgers came - served in 11" frying pans instead of plates and consisted of a homemade burger with bacon, onion rings and blue cheese, melting into the burger with a toasted bun, there were three small dishes with sweet and sour sauces, salad with dressings and what must have been a home made coleslaw, the radish was carved in the shape of a rose the spring onions cut into a bouquet and the cress tied up in a posse, oh and there were chips. Just in case you haven't guessed, I was well impressed and the tastes coming from all sides of my frying pan kept me very busy, all this with just a tiny bit of my delicious Ruby Ale left.
This isn't a two for one place, however with around £10/£12 the average for a superbly presented and deliciously tasting main course you can't go wrong. There are many other lighter options available on the boards and my granddaughter assures me that their homemade fish finger sandwich is amazing, perhaps next time when I can find a driver who's not heard about the beers.

• Visited May 2013