“Relaxing and full of character” 4 of 5 stars

Mellington Hall Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mellington | Churchstoke, Mellington SY15 6HX, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Mellington
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Relaxing and full of character”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We went for a mid-week break and were given a large room, with period furniture and an adjoining family room which also contained the bath/shower room. No central heating in such an old, large building but it wasn't cold and there were real fires downstairs and electric radiators in the rooms. The bed was very comfortable too.

Some bits of the decor are a bit quirky but everything was spotlessly clean and worked well. The staff were very friendly and helpful - it's a family concern rather than corporate and that certainly shows in the way guests are treated. We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was good, though the menu was not extensive. Breakfasts were good quality too. Unusually for a small hotel, the bar served a decent pint of real ale, though bar prices seemed steep despite us being used to big city prices.

The grounds are very attractive with acres of parkland and Offa's Dyke passes through them. We managed a 3 hour walk along the dyke path and around the area, without coming near more than the occasional farmhouse or cottage. Although there is a static caravan park at the rear, it was very quiet and also appears to be very well maintained, so I would not expect any issues there.

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel and the surrounding small towns (Bishops Castle & Montgomery) are interesting to visit too. We'd happily go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here for two nights recently and had an absolutely fabulous time. The building is absolutely stunning and very peaceful. Some may be put off by the caravan park at the rear, but that is a very small fly in the ointment. The approach once you turn off the road is around one mile through lovely countryside. Then, you turn the corner and are confronted by a gorgeous Victorian Gothic mansion. Just beautiful. We lugged our cases inside and were greeted very warmly by Caroline who quickly checked us in and showed us to our room. And what a room! It was situated at the rear of the hotel and overlooked the afore-mentioned caravan park. It was huge, with a massive canopied bed, a really comfy sofa and a very large television. The ensuite was equally large and had a bath and a seperate show which was much appreciated. Some might complain that the decor is a bit dated, but I reckon it suits the age and style of the building perfectly.

After unpacking, and a quick wander around the grounds I left Mrs BobTheEvilPenguin to enjoy a wallow in the bath whilst I took my book downstairs to enjoy a pint (or two - oh, ok three!) of very good local ale in front of the roaring fire in the hall. Caroline brought a great pile of logs through and put me in charge of keeping the fire going. This was a lovely touch and really made me feel at home. She also kept the beer coming, attentively but not intrudingly noticing when I'd finished each pint.

We decided to eat in the restaurant and were glad that we did. The service was a little slow and it seems that if you want quick service you should go for a drink in the bar and order there. Still, we weren't in a particular hurry and enjoyed the chance to relax, have a natter and enjoy the wood-panelled dining room. The food was delicious, and I had the nicest lamb shank I have ever eaten whilst MrsBTEP's mushroom risotto was as good as any she has had. The food and wine were reasonably priced, dinner costing about £35 for the two of us for two courses and a bottle of very agreeable Malbec costing £18. I decided to have a couple of glasses and then save the rest of the bottle for the next evening, which was gladly done for me. We then retired back into to hall, and chatted for ages to another couple staying there. What better way to spend the evening than eating fabulous food, drinking lovely wine and then telling ghost stories in front of a roaring fire in a Victorian country mansion?

Breakfast the next morning was delicious, the bacon and sausages being proper quality. The food came out piping hot, unlike in many other hotels I have stayed in over the years. We then drove to Ludlow and spent a happy couple of hours wandering around what is a beautiful little town, with a great castle. Not to mention a wide choice of pubs and places to eat. We decided to have a substantial lunch out and just have sandwiches back at the hotel. Arriving back, we spent a few hours doing not very much at all until hunger got the better of us. Securing our favourite spot in front of the fire we ordered some sandwiches and chips and once again relaxed, chatted, ate and drank.

In short, Mellington Hall is a lovely old hotel with wood panelling and creaky floorboards a-plenty. I really cannot recommend it highly enough and we can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, what a beautiful picturesque location and a stunning building as you arrive. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the room (we had the mellington suite for 1 night to celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary) was lovely but slightly dated decor wise. Dinner was a bit overpriced for what we got although tasty, it was rather standard and not a meal that I will remember... Only complaint was that my husbands sticky toffee pud tasted a bit burnt and had no sticky toffee sauce! They did gladly bring our desserts up to our room though so we didnt mention the complaint to the staff. We had breakfast in bed as a real treat and again, fairly tasty but nothing outstanding... A choice would have been nice. The offer we booked under said a cream tea was included but either this was misleading or we misunderstood as we only received scones and tea later on once we'd had a stroll around the grounds. Overall it was a comfortable and relaxing treat for my birthday and the service was good but we did both agree we were glad we hadn't paid full price... Its difficult to put a finger on it but for the full price I would expect a more luxurious and stylish finish on everything, they just need to go a few steps further. The decor felt entirley unfitting for such a beautiful old historical building - it does feel a bit like someone went a bit crazy in Dunelm and Furniture Village (but this could be down to my personal taste!) which is a shame. I base my comparison on somewhere like Cameron House in Loch Lomond which was excellent (sadly I never reviewed it after we staying in 2010) and a similar price!

• Stayed October 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Amazing!!!! Good service, good food good value!!! Wanted to make it special for my wife on our anniversary and it was money well spent! We stayed in the mellington suite and it was perfect. Thank you to the staff :) I will be back for that cheesecake!!!

• Stayed October 2012
mellingtonhallhotel, Manager at Mellington Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your kind words Richard, We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. Vanessa Baileys Irish cream Cheesecakes are quite a talking point locally so we're pleased you managed to try a sample!!!! We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Shropshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I took a friend to Mellington Hall for afternoon tea..with Champagne,I had purchased a voucher from Travel zoo for £19. On arrival I was very impressed by this lovely old building and the grounds were immaculate.
We were greeted by the staff in a very friendly manner and shown to our table. The dining room was beautiful and in its original decor with lovely antiques. It was a little small but you could just imagine the lady's of days gone by partaking in afternoon tea..a little classical music playing in the back ground would have definitely added to the experience as it was rather too quiet.. and music would have added to the ambiance.
The afternoon tea was a little small but very tasty.. and attractively served..it consisted of Tea, A glass of bubbly..not sure if it was champagne..? 6 tiny finger sandwiches, two small slices of coconut sponge cake, 2 scones with jam and cream , two tiny raspberry topped meringues and 2 profiteroles.
I would have liked more savories and although it was sort of ok value for £19 for the experience I would have never have paid £39 which I believe is the normal price.
Overall it was a really nice afternoon and I did have a look around the bedrooms which were stunning. It would be a fantastic place for a wedding or a romantic break and they did have rave reviews on cards from past guests. I would visit again on an overnight deal if the price was right.!

Room Tip: This hotel has some stunning bedrooms, the honey moon suite is out of this world :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have just returned from a KGB £99 deal stay at Mellington Hall. All I can say is I will be looking again for any deals here as I will certainly would wish to return. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and has a touring caravan park, static caravan park and mobile home park within its grounds. All full and beautifully kept which shows the standard is high. We walked around the grounds and spoke to several occupier dog walkers who all sang the praises of the place and site. All residents can use the hotel facilities and bar/restraraunt. The hotel itself is beautiful. The entrance hall/lounge is all wood panelling with lots of comfy settes and chairs. There are several smaller little rooms used for afternoon teas and a beauiful dining room. The hotel is small and intimate with bedrooms having names not numbers and each bedroom is decorated individually. We stayed in the Lydbury which was small but very comfortable overlooking fields and hills. The hotel caters mainly for adults and because it is a listed building it does not have a lift so is not suitable for people unable to climb stairs. The deal consisted of B&B and the breakfast was tasty and plentiful with several choices to pick from. We did eat at the hotel on Saturday night and the meal was delicious but pricey. I would suggest you try the bar meals or eat elsewhere as the meal cost was nearly as much as the weekend price.If you are looking for a little bit of luxury in beautiful surroundings with lovely pleasant and helpful staff this is the place to go. Highly recommended on a deal but expensive if not.

Room Tip: All rooms individually decorated beautifully. You won't be dissatisfied with any room you get. W...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MUNSLOW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We went to Mellington Hall hotel for afternoon tea with a travelzoo voucher for two for £19 tnstead d of two for £39.00
Firstly as we aproached the hotel we thought it looked grand but tired . We we shown to our table very matter of fact but politely manner and asked wether we wanted tea or coffee. we requested tea which was serverd in a transport cafe type teapot with a very cracked milk jug and miss matched cups and saucers ....we would have expected china when paying £39.00 for afternoon tea! ( Which this was supposed to have true cost) the tables were very close together and there was no atmosphere what so ever and this did not feel at all like a treat which it should have been!
The sandwiches were dainty fresh and tasty the scones were very poor not enough jam and poor quality cream the cakes were very dissapointing the champagne was defintly not champagne at £19 for two we did not feel ripped off but more we wish we had not bothered. We then went for a look around the grounds the gardens were tired and we certainly would not want to sit on the lovely terrace and look at static caravans

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mellington Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!